Looking back on 1st rounders, do you take the consensus picks or what we have?

Which set of 1st round picks would you prefer?

• Total voters

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Huh interesting, i actually had to think about it.

I voted 1 but after thinking about it more, this is really difficult.

Tough choice, nylander is very good, glass is okay.

Thachuk tho is the swinger, i dono... lol

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Realistically I don't see why we couldn't have Nylander or Ehlers, along with Tkachuk, and the guys we took. At the very least Tkachuk was the slam dunk consensus pick. Nylander/Ehlers...likely Nylander as that's who Gradin was pushing for, should have been a Canuck. But missing out on Tkachuk is inexcusable.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
imagine where this fanbase would be if we took vilardi and pettersson was doing this for another team. y2k would be the only happy canuck fan.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Not sure specifically what the pre-draft rankings were as they can vary from publication to publication, but while Konecny/Boeser/Merkley were the guys everyone wanted in 2015 and Boeser/Konecny went 23/24 while Merkley fell down to 30 I think it's a stretch to say he was the "consensus" BPA. There typically isn't such a thing that late in the 1st round, unless you specifically have a faller available.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I just think it's silly to list off each player that is currently the best and bemoan them. If we want to criticize our drafting, how about the fact that we don't currently have a single full time NHLer (in any org) drafted outside of the 1st round under Benning.
Passing on the clear cut best players available; this isn’t some instance of hindsight at all when the entire forum was calling for those players to be selected.

It’s the same thing with Bourdon/Kopitar.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Realistically I don't see why we couldn't have Nylander or Ehlers, along with Tkachuk, and the guys we took. At the very least Tkachuk was the slam dunk consensus pick. Nylander/Ehlers...likely Nylander as that's who Gradin was pushing for, should have been a Canuck. But missing out on Tkachuk is inexcusable.

That's fair. I just wanted to categorize consensus vs. what we actually drafted for the sake of having a line in the sand on categories.

And you're right regarding Vilardi over Glass for consensus picks.

Vilardi: 5.17.

Glass: 7.00.

Anyone know how to edit a poll option?

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Not sure specifically what the pre-draft rankings were as they can vary from publication to publication, but while Konecny/Boeser/Merkley were the guys everyone wanted in 2015 and Boeser/Konecny went 23/24 while Merkley fell down to 30 I think it's a stretch to say he was the "consensus" BPA. There typically isn't such a thing that late in the 1st round, unless you specifically have a faller available.

I agree, it's kind of splitting hairs.
I based it off of this:

2015 NHL Draft Prospect Consensus Rankings

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Passing on the clear cut best players available; this isn’t some instance of hindsight at all when the entire forum was calling for those players to be selected.

It’s the same thing with Bourdon/Kopitar.

I agree, but they also made great selections from more muddled positions in Boeser and Pettersson.

Benning is an atrocious GM but simply listing off the players we could have had while also keeping the players we hit on in the 1st is petty. Again, a more valid criticism of our supposed strength is the depth drafting.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Petttersson
Boeser
Hughes
Glass
Tkachuck
Nylander
Juolevi
Virtanen
Mccann
Merkley

So... OUR GROUP

Reactions: Oddleifson

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
More fun to look at who Benning picked vs who you yourself would've taken.

For me:
Ehlers, Kempe, Merkley, Tkachuk, Glass, Hughes
vs
Virtanen, McCann, Boeser, Juolevi, Pettersson, Hughes

Gotta give the edge to Benning since Boeser and EP are studs and EP is looking like a future #1 C, but if Glass becomes a #1 C and OJ busts then it's interesting.

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Petttersson
Boeser
Hughes
Glass
Tkachuck
Nylander
Juolevi
Virtanen
Mccann
Merkley

So... OUR GROUP

Why do you rate Merkley so low?
He hasn't had much of a shot in the NHL but went just over a PPG in the AHL. Seems more promising than Virtanen at this point. McCann also looks better than Virtanen at this point.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Why do you rate Merkley so low?
He hasn't had much of a shot in the NHL but went just over a PPG in the AHL. Seems more promising than Virtanen at this point. McCann also looks better than Virtanen at this point.
Could be i suppose, tbh Im not as familiar with what he did last year so maybe i should just not have ranked him if i wanted to be more accurate. I am maybe a lil higher on Virtanen then most on this site recently, even tho i was not impressed with his start to the season i think he still has a higher potential than Mcann

Oddleifson

Sep 28, 2011
New Westminster
The only pairing that we _might_ not have won outright is the first: Nylander / Virtanen.
And they are very different players. I'm not _unhappy_ with Virtanen (esp. if Nylander becomes a whiny little "pay-me-or-trade-me" be-atch). Different strokes...
All in all, our set of players will do just fine.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
In before a poster says that Boeser was the consensus pick and not Merkley. (or posters start changing the order)

Why would posters do that?

The only pairing that we _might_ not have won outright is the first: Nylander / Virtanen.
And they are very different players. I'm not _unhappy_ with Virtanen (esp. if Nylander becomes a whiny little "pay-me-or-trade-me" be-atch). Different strokes...
All in all, our set of players will do just fine.

Turns out 1st liners are harder to sign then 4th liners. :D

Feb 24, 2017
86% of us agree with you Sami
If you look at the bad choices in there, how bad do we really know they are? Juolevi if he ends up a complimentary top pairing D is great for 5 overall. D men take time. We know this. And Virtanen isn’t so bad. The other guys people wanted are cowardly playoff washouts. Who cares about their regular seasons.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Ehlers, McCann, Konecny, Keller (Sergachev if D), Pettersson, Dobson

pomorick

Aug 8, 2015
I don’t think Glass was the consensus pick in 2017. I’d say Vilardi was.
Glass was my pick. He had good stats, could skate and was big and judging by his father and brother he could be huge. Petterson's weigh concerned
me. Vilardi was supposedly slow.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Currently I mean you have to take reality right? The real question is: Nylander+Tkachuk or Boeser+Pettersson.

Nylander and Tkachuk are probably good for about 130 points/82 games, maybe 140 in a couple years. Boeser+Pettersson are for 70 +EP40 production/82 games.

We need much more data on Pettersson but quite honestly it seems like the sky is the limit and he could be pushing 90+ seasons as early as this year (!)

Of course the absolutely infuriating part is that these picks were NOT mutually exclusive! We could have all 4 of these players!

Tkachuk - Horvat - Boeser

Goldobin - Pettersson - Nylander

Okay I gotta stop.

All speculation. Maybe with Tkachuk and Nylander the Canucks finish 7th instead and the New York Rangers draft Petterson at #6

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
If you look at the bad choices in there, how bad do we really know they are? Juolevi if he ends up a complimentary top pairing D is great for 5 overall. D men take time. We know this. And Virtanen isn’t so bad. The other guys people wanted are cowardly playoff washouts. Who cares about their regular seasons.

Hahahahaha.... This is great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->