Looking back on 1st rounders, do you take the consensus picks or what we have?

Which set of 1st round picks would you prefer?

• Total voters

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Off the top of my head, here is who I would have selected from 2014 onwards:

-2014: Horvat + 6th for Sam Reinhart (if the deal was available). :embarrassed:
-2015: Brandon Carlo.
2016: Pierre Luc Dubois. Once he was selected at #3 however, I was hoping for Matthew Tkachuk.
2017: Miro Heiskanen: Heiskanen was my guy all along, even though I knew he likely wouldn’t drop. Cody Glass was my 2nd choice.
2018: Noah Dobson, but Quinn Hughes was my first choice. However - Dobson was my official pick since I didn’t think there was a snowball’s chance in hell that Hughes would drop to us.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Sorry. Thought you were performing a parody of the Virtanen cheerleaders.

I’ll say this about Virtanen. I still love the guy even if he doesn’t end up being a Top 6 forward. His speed, shot, and physicality will help us even if it’s not in a Top 6 capacity. Not many players can score in the manner that he did in that first game.

Raffi Torres never lived up to his billing as a number 5, but an in-prime Torres was still a very valuable supplemental piece to a team. I think Virtanen can be the same.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I’m seeing 33-4 route for reality and this brings a smile to my face. :D

Man that Pettersson is something special eh? f***. I didn’t see that coming at all.

My guess is that if this poll had been taken a year earlier, it would be 33-4 for the other side, with Tkachuk and Ehlers farting on our faces.

I was honestly worried about two things with Pettersson before the season started:

1) Would his slight frame allow him to be a superstar at the NHL level?
2) Even if he was going to be a superstar (I had EP pegged for stardom either next year or the year after), would he be able to be a superstar as a CENTER (where we needed him to be). My answer for that was no. My answer to this was that EP would be a star in this league (1-2 years from now), but NOT as a center. Boy I’m glad that I was wrong by a country mile. :)

All we really need now is for....

1) Hughes to be a top pairing PMD (which he will be imo)
2) Juolevi to be a decent 2nd pairing D (still a realistic projection in my opinion)
3) Tryamkin to return and be a 2nd pairing D.......OR, one of Woo/Chatfield to develop into that role

and I think we have ourselves a strong core moving forward.

In net: one of Markstrom, Demko, Dipietro should develop into a good #1 goalie. My guess is that Dipietro will be the one to emerge from the fire.

2) Wingers: Boeser is going through a sophomore slump and/or dealing with an injury and/or isn’t fully recovered and/or had a shortened training off season and/or trained in an idiotic way which caused him to bulk up too much and sacrifice speed......but whatever was the case, I think we will have a very good long term sniper here. Baertschi will be Baertschi. An average 2nd line player that can score at a pace consistent with that of an average 2nd liner. Which is fine. Goldobin has been brought to life by Pettersson. Keep Baertschi with Horvat, and keep Goldobin with Pettersson. While I think Virtanen might be able to become a good 2nd line forward one day, I think he will be a good 3rd line guy for us.......meaning, that our search to find a decent 2nd line RW will have to continue. Thankfully, we have LE to fill that void right now. Maybe Petrus Palmu becomes that guy in the future? Maybe we use Gaudette as a RW’er in the future here.

Fix that defense as I mentioned earlier on, and we have the necessary core to compete moving forward.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I’ll say this about Virtanen. I still love the guy even if he doesn’t end up being a Top 6 forward. His speed, shot, and physicality will help us even if it’s not in a Top 6 capacity. Not many players can score in the manner that he did in that first game.

Raffi Torres never lived up to his billing as a number 5, but an in-prime Torres was still a very valuable supplemental piece to a team. I think Virtanen can be the same.

I agree.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Konecny could be depending on what analysts you prefer, but Merkley was overall higher on average.

This thread is just for fun.

Konecny:
#19 by HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM
#11 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
#12 by ISS HOCKEY
#14 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
#14 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters
#15 by TSN/McKenzie

Avg: 14.1(6)

Merkley:

#14 by HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM
#17 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
#19 by ISS HOCKEY
#15 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
#23 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters
#17 by TSN/McKenzie

Avg: 17.5

So, Konecny.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
My pick: Nylander Bleackly Konecny Sergachev Pettersson Hughes

I think I did alright
I remember someone saying on this board three or four days before the draft that Pettersson, if we would pick him at 5, we would be very very happy with that. If it was you, kudos. For me

Ehlers, McCann, Konecny, Tkachuk, Vilardi and Hughes

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Konecny:
#19 by HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM
#11 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
#12 by ISS HOCKEY
#14 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
#14 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters
#15 by TSN/McKenzie

Avg: 14.1(6)

Merkley:

#14 by HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM
#17 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
#19 by ISS HOCKEY
#15 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
#23 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters
#17 by TSN/McKenzie

Avg: 17.5

So, Konecny.

2015 NHL Draft Prospect Consensus Rankings

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Just want to chime in and say that people might be sleeping on Nylander because he’s not playing right now, but he’s a 1st line caliber player.

I’d probably still go with the group we have but man was that ever a huge blunder, especially since Gradin was begging Benning to take him.

Reactions: timw33

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
You can check my rankings in their respective sites. I don't know how they did that rank, mine is pretty obvious.

They did theirs similar to how voting works for NHL awards.

We took the prospect rankings from 7 different sources Hockey Prospect, Future Considerations, Craig Button, ISS Hockey, Corey Pronman of ESPN, Damien Cox and The Hockey News.

30 points were given to players who were ranked first on a list. 29 points for being ranked second, 28 for third, and so on. We combine all scores to create the below list.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Just want to chime in and say that people might be sleeping on Nylander because he’s not playing right now, but he’s a 1st line caliber player.

I’d probably still go with the group we have but man was that ever a huge blunder, especially since Gradin was begging Benning to take him.

Yep. If we had taken Nylander and Tkachuk, our top 6 would be filled out with Pettersson, Horvat, Nylander, Tkachuk, Boeser, and Goldobin/Baertschi instead of plugging in Eriksson and whatnot.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Yep. If we had taken Nylander and Tkachuk, our top 6 would be filled out with Pettersson, Horvat, Nylander, Tkachuk, Boeser, and Goldobin/Baertschi instead of plugging in Eriksson and whatnot.
If we had Nylander,Tkachuk,Horvat,Boeser and the Sedins....I highly doubt we would have been in any position to draft EP.

Fantasy stuff..

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Screwing up Virtanen was fine. First draft, first mistake ok. Juolevi was a shit show.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
They did theirs similar to how voting works for NHL awards.

We took the prospect rankings from 7 different sources Hockey Prospect, Future Considerations, Craig Button, ISS Hockey, Corey Pronman of ESPN, Damien Cox and The Hockey News.

30 points were given to players who were ranked first on a list. 29 points for being ranked second, 28 for third, and so on. We combine all scores to create the below list.
And then they compared rankings with several depth (some top 30, some top 60, some top 100). How can they do a consensus without any kind of ranking consistency?

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I'll take reality but imo the most obvious pick out of all these was taking Tkachuk in 2016. That was simply a disastrous fail.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I remember someone saying on this board three or four days before the draft that Pettersson, if we would pick him at 5, we would be very very happy with that. If it was you, kudos. For me

Ehlers, McCann, Konecny, Tkachuk, Vilardi and Hughes
It wasn’t me, I didn’t know much about the 2017 draft, I pick Pettersson because his stats looks impressive in a men’s league at 17

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
Realistically I don't see why we couldn't have Nylander or Ehlers, along with Tkachuk, and the guys we took. At the very least Tkachuk was the slam dunk consensus pick. Nylander/Ehlers...likely Nylander as that's who Gradin was pushing for, should have been a Canuck. But missing out on Tkachuk is inexcusable.

That's great, but:
Which set of 1st round picks would you prefer?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad