Looking Ahead to a Seattle Expansion Draft

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Updated

C. Giroux, J. Voracek, S. Couturier, N. Patrick, T. Konecny, O. Lindblom, K. Hayes
I. Provorov, S. Gostisbehere, T. Sanheim
C. Hart

Trade a 1st to Seattle to keep P. Myers and have them take A. Skater.

Might be worth investing in a goaltender good enough to be worth it to take. Just a thought.

Giving up an asset to keep Myers may be worth it depending on how well he's developed, and it can be worth it to protect your assets, but I'd still be fine with just sending in a list and letting the pieces fall where they may. They still only lose one player, with a deep prospect pool comes opportunity to be able to replace them.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
If we move Ghost to wing we only expose Lindblom

Yeah, I've always wondered how that works. Like, how do they determine what position a guy plays. Say there's an expansion draft in 2010, and Byfuglien, drafted as a defenseman but also having played wing, comes up. Can you just slot him in as either one?

Reactions: Jtown

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Yeah, I've always wondered how that works. Like, how do they determine what position a guy plays. Say there's an expansion draft in 2010, and Byfuglien, drafted as a defenseman but also having played wing, comes up. Can you just slot him in as either one?
I am sure it's more defined somewhere - ahh who are we kidding this is the NHL - but it really just says that teams trying to circumvent the process would be punished. It is really just a joke, and by no means would I recommend doing this

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
One defenseman will be moved before hand and I would guess they might go defenseman at the 11th this year.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I am sure it's more defined somewhere - ahh who are we kidding this is the NHL - but it really just says that teams trying to circumvent the process would be punished. It is really just a joke, and by no means would I recommend doing this
I would think that games played in a position determines where they can be protected as.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
worst case scenario.
Ok trade Giroux with a year left on the contract and go 4-4-1. He will be 33 years old and probably not worth resigning.

If this offseason is the disaster everyone thinks, he’s not going to want to resign anyway.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I mean't worst case scenario for dictating your draft philosophy . Always draft bpa. I'm down with trading provorov for a monster package.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
All Teams must expose:
- One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.
- Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 season and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

I imagine those 40/70 numbers dictate which position they are placed in.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
One defenseman will be moved before hand and I would guess they might go defenseman at the 11th this year.

That's the most likely scenario if nothing else changes roster wise between now and then. At that point, all that matters is the return for the defensemen we trade and how much success we have between now and then.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Cant they just trade for a veteran rental and use him for expansion?
I mean sure we could lose a young dman, but what are the odds they all reach their peak?

Myers will be exposed, if all 4 are here. There's no way around it.

As for reaching their peak: we already have Provorov and Ghost and Sanheim at or trending towards their ceilings. There's no hard rule about multiple having to bust, despite people for years setting such an expectation. We're already 75% there, and Myers has jaw dropping physical tools and has flashed his potential already.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Myers will be exposed, if all 4 are here. There's no way around it.

As for reaching their peak: we already have Provorov and Ghost and Sanheim at or trending towards their ceilings. There's no hard rule about multiple having to bust, despite people for years setting such an expectation. We're already 75% there, and Myers has jaw dropping physical tools and has flashed his potential already.
We're not even 100% sure Ghost will be here next season much less at expansion draft time. If it's later, the likelihood increases that a team trading for him (and they will) -- someone's going to give us futures for him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
We're not even 100% sure Ghost will be here next season much less at expansion draft time. If it's later, the likelihood increases that a team trading for him (and they will) -- someone's going to give us futures for him.

Yeah I think they will see how this season goes with Ghost under AV for the first time. If it's like the 17-18 season, they will keep him. If it's more like 18-19, they'll look to move him.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

When we are right in the middle of our window in a year or two, I'm sure Fletcher will covet futures. And I'm sure the same fans who bitch about hoarding prospects will desire that too.

Ghost might be the 4th highest paid defenseman on this team the next couple years. While Fletcher is spending money left and right, Ghost's contract only becomes more valuable if he regains his form. You can barely sniff another non-ELC defenseman that potentially valuable for that cheap.

I err on the side of him being traded before expansion, but there's no logical reason for it, on-ice or cap managing.

Reactions: pit and Rebels57

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
When we are right in the middle of our window in a year or two, I'm sure Fletcher will covet futures. And I'm sure the same fans who ***** about hoarding prospects will desire that too.

Ghost might be the 4th highest paid defenseman on this team the next couple years. While Fletcher is spending money left and right, Ghost's contract only becomes more valuable if he regains his form. You can barely sniff another non-ELC defenseman that potentially valuable for that cheap.

I err on the side of him being traded before expansion, but there's no logical reason for it, on-ice or cap managing.

Well, yeah, obviously if he regains form plays into it. In the given scenario though, provided he is hopefully not traded this summer, we'd be trading him right before the expansion draft. If for some unknown reason the Flyers don't see value in a 40-point defenseman, someone else will.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
If we go the 7F, 3D, 1G route we protect
-G, Coots, Hayes, Patrick, Konecny, Lindbolm, Voracek
-Provorov, Sanheim, Myers
- Hart

Then we make a deal to Seattle not to take Ghost (hopefully we don’t trade him in the meanwhile). give them picks/prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad