Looking Ahead to a Seattle Expansion Draft

Icedog2735

Aug 19, 2006
Stratford, CT
So reports have started to come out that Seattle will be conditionally awarded a franchise at the BOG meeting next month. It was also reported a few months ago that Seattle would be afforded the same expansion draft rules that Vegas received. The early reports have been that Seattle would start for the 2020-2021 season.

This has got me wondering how the Flyers stand going into a future expansion draft in June 2020. It is two seasons away yes, but I do think it is going to be something that is in the back of Hexy et al.'s minds, especially as it gets closer.

In summary, the rules that Vegas got were the following:
  • Clubs protect 7F, 3D, 1 G or 8F/D, 1 G
  • NMCs must be protected
  • 1st & 2nd year pros and unsigned draft picks are exempt
  • Must expose 1D, 2F, 1G who are under contract for 2020-2021; the F/D must have played 40+ NHL games in 2019-2020 or 70+ NHL games in 2018-2019 & 2019-2020
Currently, G (NMC), Coots, Voracek, and Ghost are the only players under contract for when Seattle would begin play.

Obviously, there are a lot of players not even drafted yet and/or currently in the league but not on the Flyers that will join the organization between now and then, but where would everyone start with a protection list? Mine, I think, right now would be:

F: G, Coots, Patrick, Konecny, Frost, Lindblom, Vorobyov
D: Ghost, Provy, Sanheim
G: Hart

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
C. Giroux, J. Voracek, N. Patrick, T. Konecny
I. Provorov, S. Gostisbehere, T. Sanheim, P. Myers
A. Goalie

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Gotta trade him while his value is high.

But seriously, let me redo that list.

C. Giroux, J. Voracek, S. Couturier, N. Patrick, T. Konecny, O. Lindblom, M. Vorobyev
I. Provorov, S. Gostisbehere, T. Sanheim
A. Goalie

Trade a 1st to Seattle to keep P. Myers and have them take N. Aube-Kubel.

Last edited:

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
Gotta trade him while his value is high.

But seriously, let me redo that list.

C. Giroux, J. Voracek, S. Couturier, N. Patrick, T. Konecny, O. Lindblom, M. Vorobyev
I. Provorov, S. Gostisbehere, T. Sanheim
A. Goalie

Trade a 1st to Seattle to keep P. Myers and have them take N. Aube-Kubel.
thats good but if im seattle zero chance im getting 1st+NAK rather than Myers

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, it's two years from now, we'll see how Sanheim and Myers develop, and whether Voracek is still worth $8.5M.
Lindblom could be the more painful loss if we protect 4 defenseman.

But it shows you why Vegas ended up pretty good, while it may be slim pickings from the ten worst teams, you're gonna get pretty good players from the other 20 or so, or be able to rob them in trades.

Icedog2735

Aug 19, 2006
Stratford, CT

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Literally no way to speculate to this. A LOT can change between then and now and not just with regard to who is on the roster, but who we care about on the roster. We all love our young guys, but in two years if Sanheim or Myers or Morin or Lindblom haven't really made the impact we want, they may not really be worth protecting (or someone unexpected may be worth protecting in two years that we aren't thinking about right now). Certainly not suggesting that this will happen so don't start whining about being a contrarian or some stupid bullshit, but we are going to look a lot differently in a couple years and we may even look at some of our players differently as well.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Very possible, if Laughton moves to LW with a real 3C and puts up 30 goals, for example.
Or NAK comes up and is a revelation.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
I agree that it's too early to start putting together protected lists, but it's not a bad idea to start thinking about expansion.

The big thing that teams ran into issues with for the Vegas expansion was NMC - I would be very cautious about handing those out until Seattle is in the league. You can at least start planning around those instead of running into the same jam as with the Vegas expansion.

I also imagine that with this expansion, we'll see more trades between teams to set up a protected list and fewer with Seattle. The Jets moved down 13 spots in last year's draft and gave up an additional third round pick to protect Enstrom. The Wild gave up Alex Tuch and a third to protect Dumba. The Islanders gave up a first, a second, and some plugs to protect their core. The Penguins gave up a second to ensure they also gave up Fleury. The Lightning gave up a second and a fourth to protect Koekkoek and Dotchkin. The Ducks gave up Theodore to protect Manson and Vatanen.

In hindsight, it seems like teams were really worried about losing core pieces and were willing to give up future assets to protect them. I'm becoming more and more convinced that the NHL is changing - similar to how the trap changed the game or the way the game changed with the salary cap - based on how Vegas built their team and is finding immediate success. I think the Ducks caught on to this in moving Vatanen midway through the season, and the Seattle expansion draft will be very different as a result.

I think we're more likely to see teams move a player that they want to protect to a different team instead of giving up assets to Seattle. To this end, a team like the Flyers could be in a GREAT position if they have flexibility around their protected list. Given that the Flyers are unlikely to need to protect a goalie, they could be in a position to add one for cheap if a team ends up in a similar situation as Pittsburgh did last year. Not that the Penguins would ever trade a star goalie to the Flyers, but they could move Fleury to recoup a first or second round pick instead of losing him AND a second round pick.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
F: G, Coots, Patrick, TK
D: Ghost, Provy, Sanheim,Myers
G: Goalie

offer something about to not take jake if not what ever

Saw this posted elsewhere and liked it-

Giroux, Coots, Patrick, TK
Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, Myers
?

I'm not sure I trade them a 1st to protect someone else, or do any trades at all. I would be open to trading a likely target such as Voracek as not to lose him for nothing.

Edit: NINJA'd!

As of now, this easily seems like the optimal plan. Good work by you two gents.

G, Couts, Patrick, TK
Ghost, Sanheim, Provy, Myers
Goalie

Reactions: RANKKA

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The ED does change strategy for the next two years:
1) ED exempt prospects have more value, as do 1st rd picks in the 2018 and 2019 drafts
2) Players that could be exposed have less value
3) top tier players have more trade value, but second tier (because you might have to expose them) less value

I can see teams making consolidation trades where they improve the quality of their protected players and reduce the quality of players they can't protect.
So for example, if the Flyers know they'll have to choose between say Ghost or Voracek or Myers, they might trade a player for exempt assets and depth assets, so they don't lose a prime player and have enough depth that they can replace the player they do lose. On the other hand, if Voracek's production falls to where they'd like to dump the contract, they protect Ghost and Myers and only 4 forwards and hope that Voracek gets taken over Lindblom.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
There's just a few things @Stizzle. Both @RANKKA and I are two "o" Coots, instead of your, incorrect "ou". That is a problem, a big one. Who's gonna protect the correct player?

Also, I correctly listed them Provy, Ghost, Sanheim Myers. RANKKA was close but swapped Provy and Ghost erroneously. What the hell were you thinking by getting it all sorts of jumbled ordering them Ghost Sanheim, Provy, Myers? Ha, do you even hockey bro?

The Hivemind - d. 5/2018 - RIP

Reactions: Stizzle

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Vegas is exempt from the Seattle expansion draft and has a lot of picks in the 2019/20 drafts, so there will be a lot of wheeling and dealing involving the GK.

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
Could trade a defenseman for a forward worth protecting instead of losing a guy like Myers, Sanheim, or Gostisbehere. Gostisbehere will have 3 years left on his contract at that point.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Could trade a defenseman for a forward worth protecting instead of losing a guy like Myers, Sanheim, or Gostisbehere. Gostisbehere will have 3 years left on his contract at that point.

That's true, although I expect the 7 forwards I listed to be worth protecting in June 2020.

Of course, two years is a really long time in hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad