Salary Cap: Long-term roster-building discussion (Full contract chart in post #1)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
If they cant keep Letang in a couple years (which i would be very suprised at if they couldnt), hopefully one of Pouliot, Morrow, Maata etc can step up.

Ya we all HOPE atleast one of them turns out to be a stud but its far from a sure thing. Remember Columbus just traded there franchise player for 3 mediocre players and a draft pick.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
We aren't getting Jack Johnson. My guess is he will be their next captain. He is their "star player" with Nash gone. It would take a huge overpayment.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Id say that is very close to the deal that it would take. The only thing I could see Shero perhaps not liking is which of his recent 1st round picks would be traded. It would be nice if it wasnt Pouliot or Bennet in my opinion

Right but then why would Anaheim do the deal? I guess I'm confused as to why Anaheim would move Perry unless he clearly wants out. I haven't seen any indication of that and IF they lose one or both of Perry, Getzlaf then that franchise is in serious trouble. I really think it would take serious overpayment to get Perry.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The longer this Subban saga goes on, the more interested I become. I heard McKenzie say recently that a trade isn't out of the question if contract term is the main issue. Montreal wants to go 2 years and Subban's camp wants 6.

What would they want? A replacement top pairing guy and someone who can potentially bring what they lose in Subban in the near future? Martin+Morrow?

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Right but then why would Anaheim do the deal? I guess I'm confused as to why Anaheim would move Perry unless he clearly wants out. I haven't seen any indication of that and IF they lose one or both of Perry, Getzlaf then that franchise is in serious trouble. I really think it would take serious overpayment to get Perry.
We're going on the assumption that he'd be available as a rental. He might not be but that's really not the point of the discussion. The rental doesn't have to be him, it can be anybody and it's more a discussion about how aggressive we should or shouldn't be at the deadline this year. At least that's what my post was getting at.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
The longer this Subban saga goes on, the more interested I become. I heard McKenzie say recently that a trade isn't out of the question if contract term is the main issue. Montreal wants to go 2 years and Subban's camp wants 6.

What would they want? A replacement top pairing guy and someone who can potentially bring what they lose in Subban in the near future? Martin+Morrow?

Id like subban also but i dont think we would be a good trade partner i think mon has alot of def prospects like the pens.

Btw if this tweet is accurate it has to be the worst contract offer iv ever seen. Hes worth atleast 4 million a year.

More Bob McKenzie: says Subban wants longer contract, much more than the $2.75m average that's been offered by the Canadiens.

https://twitter.com/D_LEED/statuses/293757801849843712

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
With an April 3rd trade deadline, I don't think that if Shero wanted to make a move he'll be waiting til the final days to do it. Chemistry is too important. Although maybe with the exception of Kulemin, since he already has chemistry with Geno.

BTW, there's no way the Leafs will be able to get Pouliot onto the table for Kulemin. I'd think that they'd have a hard enough time asking for Maata, and if they were able, it would probably be for Kulemin+a mid pick.

A deal won't happen there from Toronto's perspective.

You're probably looking at something like Tangradi (change of scenery), Harrington (I'd prefer Dumoulin, but I'm thinking Harrington is a guy they'd target), and a 2nd (in this very deep draft), and that assumes that Nonis is willing to move him for pieces.

From there perspective, Tangradi would be like Niskanen in the Gogo deal, the 'hey, maybe he really gives us something' asset. Harrington and the 2nd would be two pieces that could turn into the best asset in the deal (although, if it happens, you're likely talking 3-4 years from now).

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Nino was one of my favorite players in that draft. What ever happened to Kabanov? After the neck tattoo, he disappeared.

I"ll also say, I've always been a fan of Jack Johnson. If a coach can reel him in, and get him focused on playing smart, he could be a really good defenseman.

And I have zero desire to have PK Subban here.

Last edited:

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
Any chance that if kunitz has a real down year we buy him out? We could really use that money toward a top notch forward!

SlyGuy

Jan 10, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
2014-2015 is gonna be a salary ****storm.

Next year the Penguins don't have any players that are in line for major raises, and the players that are UFA or RFA can probably be re-signed for similar to what they're being paid now (capgeek).

FORWARDS
Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Chris Kunitz ($3.725m)
James Neal ($5.000m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Tyler Kennedy ($2.000m)
Tanner Glass ($1.100m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Eric Tangradi ($0.762m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.688m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Brooks Orpik ($3.750m)
Kris Letang ($3.500m) / Matt Niskanen ($2.300m)
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
Ben Lovejoy ($0.525m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,648,133; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,651,867

But the following year you have a lot of players that will be up for a raise. I've given a conservative estimate of what those raises might be:

So you've got about $2.6M to give raises to Letang ($2.5M), Sutter ($1.0M), Malkin ($0.3M), Niskanen ($0.2M), Despres ($0.2M), Engelland ($0.1M). That's $4.3M right there.

Could get pretty dicey especially if my estimates are low. If Malkin wants $9.5M, Letang wants $7.0M and Niskanen becomes a $3.0M defenceman it really throws things off.

Thoughts?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Next year the Penguins don't have any players that are in line for major raises, and the players that are UFA or RFA can probably be re-signed for similar to what they're being paid now (capgeek).

FORWARDS
Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Chris Kunitz ($3.725m)
James Neal ($5.000m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Tyler Kennedy ($2.000m)
Tanner Glass ($1.100m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Eric Tangradi ($0.762m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.688m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Brooks Orpik ($3.750m)
Kris Letang ($3.500m) / Matt Niskanen ($2.300m)
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
Ben Lovejoy ($0.525m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,648,133; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,651,867

But the following year you have a lot of players that will be up for a raise. I've given a conservative estimate of what those raises might be:

So you've got about $2.6M to give raises to Letang ($2.5M), Sutter ($1.0M), Malkin ($0.3M), Niskanen ($0.2M), Despres ($0.2M), Engelland ($0.1M). That's $4.3M right there.

Could get pretty dicey especially if my estimates are low. If Malkin wants $9.5M, Letang wants $7.0M and Niskanen becomes a $3.0M defenceman it really throws things off.

Thoughts?

Not all that concerned. The cap will be closer to $70MM by then, Bennett's ELC will be on the roster by then, and I expect more than 1 of the Dmen on ELC's to be up by then. If Despres sticks around, his ELC will be up, but he wouldn't be breaking the bank on his 2nd contract.

Conservatively, let's say Crosby, Bennett, Martin, Despres, Morrow, and Fleury are your starting point, you have ~$40MM to sign 16 guys. It'll be tight, but doable, especially since the cap is expected to continue to rise every year and they don't have to worry about another drop for another 8.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Working with the assumption that the League will see 5% growth year-on-year, the cap in 2014/15 is projected to still be $64.3m. If the CBA didn't stipulate that is the lowest the cap could be, then the projections actually show it should be $62.7m in 2014/15. So it is going to have to grow by a good bit more than 5% to be any higher than $65m.

The cap wont get close to $70m until 2016/17 ($69.5m) with the assumption of 5% growth.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Working with the assumption that the League will see 5% growth year-on-year, the cap in 2014/15 is projected to still be $64.3m. If the CBA didn't stipulate that is the lowest the cap could be, then the projections actually show it should be $62.7m in 2014/15. So it is going to have to grow by a good bit more than 5% to be any higher than $65m.

The cap wont get close to $70m until 2016/17 ($69.5m) with the assumption of 5% growth.

you're right, I was confused. According to James Mirtle, here is his projection based on flat 5% growth:

70.2 this year, 64.3 next year, 64.3 in 2014, 66.1 in 2015, 69.5 in 2016, etc...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...lary-cap-could-hit-90-million/article7029575/

Still not overly concerned. Not only does Shero understand the cap situation and will be prepared for it, but I wonder if there will be a slight dip or flattening of contracts given the slight dip/flattening of the cap.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Will DePaoli ‏@TIOPS_DePaoli
Kostopoulos likely to get contract offer from #Penguins?

Tom Kostopoulos likely to get contract offer from Penguins. Kostopoulos is drawing good praise inside Penguins circles for his ability to get to loose pucks in the offensive zone and play an effective 3rd line energy role with WBS.

If so, why??

Looks like another trolling attempt by Shero. He´s toying with the fans with these AHL moves and minor signings. I consider Kostopoulos a solid 4th liner, but we are benching Jeffrey. Really no need for this.

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA

Tom Kostopoulos likely to get contract offer from Penguins. Kostopoulos is drawing good praise inside Penguins circles for his ability to get to loose pucks in the offensive zone and play an effective 3rd line energy role with WBS.

If so, why??

Looks like another trolling attempt by Shero. He´s toying with the fans with these AHL moves and minor signings. I consider Kostopoulos a solid 4th liner, but we are benching Jeffrey. Really no need for this.

i'm glad to see that the Pens FO has their priorities in order. Kostopolous was a gigantic need for this team...

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

If so, why??

Clearly he's the Penguins 4th or 5th best winger option. Hell I'd rather give him time on Malkin's line than Neal.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Clearly he's the Penguins 4th or 5th best winger option. Hell I'd rather give him time on Malkin's line than Neal.

You know, we've been talking about guys like Clarke MacArthur in other threads, and I was just wondering: What does it say about Shero that MacArthur, on the Pens, would be the team's third most creative forward? That's a pretty ******* pathetic statement.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I'm guessing Kostopoulos would just get his PTO upgraded to a two-way deal and stay in WBS for now. He could be a decent call-up guy if the team needs a gritty 4th liner if/when injuries hit.

Last edited:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm guessing Kostopoulos would just get hit PTO upgraded to a two-way deal and stay in WBS for now. He could be a decent call-up guy if the team needs a gritty 4th liner if/when injuries hit.

Maybe tonight has made me overly cynical, but I see it as more of the roll lines, stretch pass, chip, chase, recycle garbage. He goes in. Some comparably useless piece of **** comes out.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Don't forget that the CBA still includes a PA 5% escalator clause. Which I can't see them not using every year (like previously).

SicKFreaK

Jun 5, 2010
dont have too much time before i have to go to work nor am i awake enough to put be very specific...

but hypothetically if shero made up his mind to make some serious changes and experiement this season... these are just some ideas to discuss.i mean things could be added on either or both ends to make fair but these are some starting blocks

Letang to LA for Bernier+

MAF&kunitz+ to leafs for kumelin&kessel

cooke&tk to flames Bouwmester

pick/prospects to PHX for Yandle

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad