Salary Cap: Long-term roster-building discussion (Full contract chart in post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
it's all about getting Tangradi enough points to fool Nonis and co. :sarcasm:

in that regard it's worth rooting for Kadri and JVR to play brilliantly (while the team as a whole flounders) and overtake Grabovski and Kulemin as their second line.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Next year:

Bennett - Crosby - XXXX
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke/Dupuis - Sutter - Kennedy
Glass - Vitale -

How much room do we really have for one more top 6 UFA? I was messing around in Capgeek and it doesn't seem like all that much, maybe 4M?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Assuming we're keeping Martin going into next season. That's a big if.

Neal with it

Jan 26, 2011
What about a guy like Clowe from San Jose? Could be an excellent scorer in our top six, and is a UFA after this season.

BigBenSF*

This makes zero sense. You have no problem trading Maatta (a prospect that many scouts and teams had rated higher than Pouliot), Tangradi and Bortuzzo for Kulemin but you think Pouliot + conditional 2nd for Kulie and Komisarek might be an overpayment? I'm just surprised how you think those 2 offers are remotely similar in value. I would do Pouliot + pick before I'd do the other deal.

Sorry, meant to say that it's a conditional 1st - if we win the Cup it stays a first, any other scenario and it turns into a second. Maatta may have been ranked higher, but DP means more to Shero (as shown with the high pick). Plus, DP is tearing up the WHL right now and could post better stats than Morrow. For me, Pouliot is an upgrade over Maatta and I'll take a 1st in a very deep draft over Tangradi and Bortuzzo anyday of the week.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Sorry, meant to say that it's a conditional 1st - if we win the Cup it stays a first, any other scenario and it turns into a second. Maatta may have been ranked higher, but DP means more to Shero (as shown with the high pick). Plus, DP is tearing up the WHL right now and could post better stats than Morrow. For me, Pouliot is an upgrade over Maatta and I'll take a 1st in a very deep draft over Tangradi and Bortuzzo anyday of the week.

Fair enough. Even still I don't think the packages are equivalent but to each his own.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
What about a guy like Clowe from San Jose? Could be an excellent scorer in our top six, and is a UFA after this season.

Woah dude. Where did you come up with Clowe? Totally out of the blue :laugh:

Sarcasm aside, I totally want Clowe on the Pens.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
As soon as I become Galactic Moderator, a new rule will be imposed.

Assuming that Russians and Canadians must always play together after a big trade, will result in a 30 day ban. 35 if you move Neal off Malkin's line.

tumblr_m8pvp1vJ1E1qcqqkzo1_500.gif

that's my Get-Out-of-Jail-Free card

enviSAGE

waitin on the good times
Aug 10, 2011
With an April 3rd trade deadline, I don't think that if Shero wanted to make a move he'll be waiting til the final days to do it. Chemistry is too important. Although maybe with the exception of Kulemin, since he already has chemistry with Geno.

BTW, there's no way the Leafs will be able to get Pouliot onto the table for Kulemin. I'd think that they'd have a hard enough time asking for Maata, and if they were able, it would probably be for Kulemin+a mid pick.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
To give an idea of just how much flexibility Shero has for a Cup run, the Pens are projected to bank enough cap space to be able to add more than $40 million in full-season cap hits (the equivalent of nearly six Iginlas) at the trade deadline.

That number will inevitably shrink as the season goes along and injuries strike, necessitating call-ups. And obviously it will be tricky to add long-term contracts because of the cap ceiling dropping in 2013-14 and the Pens needing to re-sign Malkin and Letang for 2014-15.

But clearly there is still plenty of room to get creative. So let's hear it. Start up the (feasible) wishlists.

I want to quote this......Damn!

C_67_article_2083291_body_articleblock_0_bodyimage.jpg

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Trib article on the Niskanen/Letang pairing.

“It felt good right away,” Letang said. “I like everything about it.”

I think one of the reasons I like playing with Kris so much,” Niskanen said, “is that it reminds me of playing with Zubov. Very similar players who played a very similar style. There‘s no doubt that my time playing with Zubov got me ready to play with Kris.”

Niskanen now might remain with Letang, especially if the star has any say.

“It took me a moment to adjust to his game because he‘s right-handed and I haven‘t played with any right-handed guys in a while,” Letang said. “But I‘m really happy playing with him. Very comfortable.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/3332590-74/niskanen-letang-playing#ixzz2IgcmZB7i
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I really want Niskanen on this team as long as possible, but damn would it be ridiculous if we got Sid's winger for Nisky. Shero should be given the title of trade lord.

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
I really want Niskanen on this team as long as possible, but damn would it be ridiculous if we got Sid's winger for Nisky. Shero should be given the title of trade lord.

More info on Niskanen from http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/five_for_fighting/2009/08/player-profiles-matt-niskanen.html via. 2009 Red Line Report:

"If Niskanen can find that level of skill and use it on a regular basis, he might become a No. 1 defenseman. But I see him more in the mold of Darryl Sydor, a complementary defenseman who plays very well with a No. 1 defenseman. Niskanen was smart enough to play off and keep up with Sergei Zubov in his rookie year, so that is something we know he can do."

This is as close as it gets to revenging the Zubov trade.

enviSAGE

waitin on the good times
Aug 10, 2011

I think it would be even more ridiculous if Niskanen turns out to be the regular guy to play with Letang on the first pairing. At least til Morrow or Pouliot are ready to step in. Hard not to be happy for the guy, and it looks like it'll work out great for them both.

Chilly

Feb 25, 2010
Vancouver
I'm really hoping that if Perry end up on the trading block, the pens make a huge offer. Just imagine Perry on a line with Crosby.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm really hoping that if Perry end up on the trading block, the pens make a huge offer. Just imagine Perry on a line with Crosby.

Not gonna happen. The trade offer would have to be ginormous. Plus he's a UFA so there's a risk he won't re-sign. Shero isn't making the Hossa mistake twice.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Not gonna happen. The trade offer would have to be ginormous. Plus he's a UFA so there's a risk he won't re-sign. Shero isn't making the Hossa mistake twice.

Was it a mistake?

He gave up what seemed to be a large package at the time, but Hossa helped lead them to the finals. He took a chance on a upcoming UFA, offered him a large contract and he left. If the Pens had of signed Hossa, one of Staal, Malkin or Orpik probably couldnt have been retained.

Pens also got Dupuis out of the deal who is still here and better than any player the Pens traded in the deal

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I think Shero would do the Hossa deal again even if the assets he gave up would have panned out better. That move still put his team over the top in the east and got them to game 6 of the finals.

If the big two are healthy combined with the fact that Shero will have close to the most cap space and by far the most assets he's ever had at a deadline then he should be highly aggressive to try to put his team over the top this season imo.

The Pens can win the Cup any year as long as they have Sid and Gino but this is a special year with all the cap space and assets. The cap is going down next year and Shero won't have nearly the room to be as aggressive as he can be this deadline.

A guy like Perry would probably cost similar to Hossa.

1st round pick = 1st round pick

Armstrong = A solid young depth player like Kennedy.

Esposito = A recent 1st round pick like Bennett, Morrow, Despres, Pouliot, Maata

Christensen = Tangradi (A talented young player that hasn't done much).

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
I think Shero would do the Hossa deal again even if the assets he gave up would have panned out better. That move still put his team over the top in the east and got them to game 6 of the finals.

If the big two are healthy combined with the fact that Shero will have close to the most cap space and by far the most assets he's ever had at a deadline then he should be highly aggressive to try to put his team over the top this season imo.

The Pens can win the Cup any year as long as they have Sid and Gino but this is a special year with all the cap space and assets. The cap is going down next year and Shero won't have nearly the room to be as aggressive as he can be this deadline.

A guy like Perry would probably cost similar to Hossa.

1st round pick = 1st round pick

Armstrong = A solid young depth player like Kennedy.

Esposito = A recent 1st round pick like Bennett, Morrow, Despres, Pouliot, Maata

Christensen = Tangradi (A talented young player that hasn't done much).

Id say that is very close to the deal that it would take. The only thing I could see Shero perhaps not liking is which of his recent 1st round picks would be traded. It would be nice if it wasnt Pouliot or Bennet in my opinion

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Anybody else think jack johnson would be a perfect fit for the pens? Hes a top 4 puck moving def who fits our system. Pretty good contract 4.3 mil over the next 6 years and hes still young. Columbus isnt going anywhere anytime soon doesn't seem like a bad idea for them if they can trade him for one of our top d prospects and a high pick. Hes also sids friend which doesn't hurt

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I doubt Columbus will trade Jack Johnson. He's young enough to be part of their rebuild unless they get an overpayment for him.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Doubt CBJ trades him after he was the centerpiece in the Carter deal. JJ actually had a really good attitude about going to the Jackets aswell.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I doubt Columbus will trade Jack Johnson. He's young enough to be part of their rebuild unless they get an overpayment for him.

Ya i agree u might have to overpay but i wouldnt mind overpaying a little bit. It also gives the pens a little bit of a safety net if for whatever reason that cant keep letang.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Ya i agree u might have to overpay but i wouldnt mind overpaying a little bit. It also gives the pens a little bit of a safety net if for whatever reason that cant keep letang.

If they cant keep Letang in a couple years (which i would be very suprised at if they couldnt), hopefully one of Pouliot, Morrow, Maata etc can step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad