Long Term Player Outlooks for Nielsen, Abdelkader and Helm

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Yeah, the Abdelkader and Helm deals were bad the minute they were signed.

The Nielsen deal is just puzzling. It's a sensible contract for a team that needs a 2C to get over the hump. It makes no sense for a team that's rebuilding. It's going to look even worse in 2-3 years.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

The Nielsen deal is just puzzling. It's a sensible contract for a team that needs a 2C to get over the hump. It makes no sense for a team that's rebuilding. It's going to look even worse in 2-3 years.

We weren't rebuilding. We still aren't.

Do you know who Ken Holland is?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
It is a shame to think back on Abby and Helm having pretty good trade value before their contracts gave them negative value. Coulda started a true rebuild pretty nicely.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
He played 20 games with Luke Glendening. He played with a terrible 16/17 Dylan Larkin. When on the same line with AA and Vanek, his defensive play has let that line work. He's been fine.

also he typically gets a lot of his points from the powerplay which has obviously been terrible here so that has an effect on his numbers as well

he'll be fine,probably not for his whole contract considering his age and it's length but as for the immediate future such as next year i'm not particularly worried about him

as for Abdelkader and Helm yeah those are brutal but then again they always have been,some of us have been saying for years that his numbers were an illusion brought on by an inflated shooting percentage and that he would crash down to earth in an ugly way sooner or later

you don't take a plug that flukes his way into a 23 goal season with a shooting percentage double his career average and give him a 7 year contract that goes well into his 30s based on that with a corresponding cap hit to boot(well I guess Ken Holland does but still) that's a David Clarkson type move right there

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It is a shame to think back on Abby and Helm having pretty good trade value before their contracts gave them negative value. Coulda started a true rebuild pretty nicely.

I think dealing them could have fit in perfectly with the rebuild on the fly thing Holland's trying to do. We could have dealt them and then dipped into free agency for guys who bring some of the same qualities but on friendlier terms.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I think using pointt totals with this team is not really useful.

30th PP in the league... Dead last.

The team as a whole blows chunks this year.

Everyone's point totals are depressed.

Mmm I wonder why everyone on ARI is having a bad year.
Everyone on Colorado is having season lows.

I mean **** lets trade Neilsen for MacKinnon.... he is outscoring him

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Plenty of people expected Nielsen to be able to put up 45-50points, didn't you?

39 points, 45 points, meh.

Anyone who expected a 30 year old 2C with a career high of 58 points to replace Datsyuk was living in fantasy land.

The only way he "replaced" Datsyuk is that he was the best C available to fill that slot on the depth chart.

Right now he is the least of our problems, and actually one of our better performing players (because in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king). Doesn't mean I like the contract though.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I have made my peace with the Nielsen deal. The term is largely illusory given his age and we may actually be able to move this contract if we retain.

If we expose one of Abby or Helm in the expansion draft, I will be able to get over the other dog contract.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
For those who still believe in them and their contracts, what do you expect out of them for next season? And if you expect a rebound year, why do you feel that way?

With puck possession system (which will lead to better PP at same time) they could rebound for their normal stats.

As long we tank and play this losing dump-and-chase crap, the production levels will be as low as they are now.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think using pointt totals with this team is not really useful.

30th PP in the league... Dead last.

The team as a whole blows chunks this year.

Everyone's point totals are depressed.

Mmm I wonder why everyone on ARI is having a bad year.
Everyone on Colorado is having season lows.

I mean **** lets trade Neilsen for MacKinnon.... he is outscoring him

Yeah I agree everyone's point totals are like if you deducted their PP points for the season. :laugh:

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
I'm not even remotely worried about Nielsen. He was a UFA, so he was going to get paid and we had to fill that hole.

Helm's contract wouldn't be terrible if he didn't get injured every 20 games I feel...but since he does and we are spent to the cap and couldn't bring in talent every over paid player gets looked at hard.

Abdelkader...good grief. Why?

But then you also have other contracts in recent seasons that suck too. Howard and Ericsson come to mind...Was hoping Danny DeKeyser could continue to prove his price tag but....that's scary looking right now too.

I do agree we could use a new coach. I do agree that Nielsen has been playing with 3/4 liners for the most part and looked better since hes been put with talent.

I fully expect Nielsen to be right around 50 points on average through his contract.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Nielsen has been fine and I'm not worried about him at all long-term.
Helm has been ok, not really worried about him either.

Abby has been awful this year and has the worst contract. He needs to bounce back next year. Has not looked healthy.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Nielsen has been fine and I'm not worried about him at all long-term.
Helm has been ok, not really worried about him either.

Abby has been awful this year and has the worst contract. He needs to bounce back next year. Has not looked healthy.

This is my sentiment exactly.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I expect Nielsen to be around 20 goals (+/- 2) and 50 points (+/- 5) next year.

Abby and Helm are playing to their potential, if you toss out the year in which each of their contracts came due and they had career-ish years (Helm has never broken out since his wrist injury in the playoffs).

Nielsen would have had a better year without the "Yahtzee" Coach rolling his line combinations before every game. If he and Vanek and AA had been together all year, he would have 20/50 with no problem, IMO.

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013
Nielsen has been fine. No complaints. Complaining he's on pace for 39 points when u expected him to hit 45 is a bit petty imo. Especially when line mates, team wide regression and a totally powerless powerplay are taken into account. Cost and term are always higher when a player is on the open market.

Now. Helm and Abby? Colour me 100% dissapointed. It used to be when Abby wasnt getting points he was at least playin physical. You'd notice him every game. I don't anymore. He's invisible out there. Same with helm for the most part.

I may be in the minority, but one player I've really enjoyed watching in his limited games/minutes is Ott. May not be the most talented. Or get many points. But man does he give 100% every second he's on the ice. Love it.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I have made my peace with the Nielsen deal. The term is largely illusory given his age and we may actually be able to move this contract if we retain.

If we expose one of Abby or Helm in the expansion draft, I will be able to get over the other dog contract.

I remember in the fall someone speculated that Helm may have gotten his contract with the full understanding he would be exposed. Many have said he is a legitimately descent candidate for LV to draft. Let's keep our fingers crossed that one of them is taken.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Nielsen is overpaid but he seems like the type of player who can have a later career decline than typical.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
It's hilarious that anybody ever defended the Abdelkader contract on any level. At one point people were debating whether/how bad that contract would look in the later years. And here we are in year 1 of a 7 year contract...

Why? Who is going to replace them?

Other players that are cheaper in term and dollar.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Personally, I think the issues with these contracts are severely overblown. 3 players equate to 15% of total roster spots. These guys take up a combined 18% of the cap ceiling.

In regards to term, they expire at 34-36 except for Nielsen and he is the most capable and least likely to breakdown. I also view all of them as contributing players. Certainly there is value in flexibility but having contributing players under contract is not a bad thing.

Now all of that said, having both Helm and Abdelkader on contracts that carry them to 34+ does seem redundant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad