London Knights 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It wasn’t ares’ quote. It was OMG67’s hypothetical arbitrary price from the previous thread. The Flint part clearly looked to be in jest judging by the ;) at the end of the post.

To be clear, the point was not trading Timms for XY and Z. The point was would you rather trade Timms to open up a spot for a more highly valued OA Forward to save you having to deal Evangelista.

How this all ended up being about Timms is beyond me. The only part Timms plays is him leaving to open up a spot for a guy like Hancock or Brazeau or Saigon etc...

The question I was asking was...

Would you rather have:

Hancock and Evangelista

OR

Timms and Suzuki

This is all hypothetical regarding the actual player names involved coming to the Knights BUT it doesn’t change the fact that acquiring a player like Hancock will come at a price of just draft picks whereas a player like Suzuki will probably cost Evangelista plus similar picks.

Ottawa has two OA spots open and it is highly likely the 67’s fill those spots. As much as I would love to have a kid like Suzuki, it doesn’t make sense for us to go down that road until we fill the two OA spots with high alum OA’s.

I was thinking that with the addition of Keane combined with an overstock of D-Men, that trading an existing low value OA to open a spot for a high value OA may be a more economical way of filling your need up front.

Regarding Timms, make no mistake, he does have value. There are loads of team that would trade for him to help solidify their lineup. IT isn’t just about tanking for a draft pick. Many GM’s looking at the reality of finishing in the bottom half of the standings would still acquire a guy like that to help solidify their team and provide a little more veteran presence. Would they trade two 3rds? MAybe not but a 3rd and 4th or 3th and 6th? Meh, does it matter much?

CarriageRider

Jun 7, 2018
It wasn’t ares’ quote. It was OMG67’s hypothetical arbitrary price from the previous thread. The Flint part clearly looked to be in jest judging by the ;) at the end of the post.
Joey Keane for a second and Durhart and somehow Timms goes for two thirds just seems silly imo...especially when I don’t see any contenders wanting Timms.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Deep Blue Line........Joey Keane
Paul Vanderhoeven LFP
December 28, 2018

The Knights took an already deep blue-line and made it even more daunting with the acquisition of Keane. The 19-year-old, who was a late cut from the U.S. world junior team, was taken in the third round — 88th overall — of this year’s NHL draft.
The six-foot 184 pound native of Homer Glen, Ill., had four goals and 16 assists in 29 games with the Colts this season. He was a plus-45 with 12 goals and 32 assists in 62 games with Barrie last year.
Keane brings speed, veteran leadership and play-making skills to a Knights defensive corps already anchored by NHL first-rounders Evan Bouchard and Adam Boqvist, who are currently playing in the world junior in Vancouver and Victoria.
“He’s a puck-moving guy,” Knights assistant coach Dylan Hunter said. “He’s been around the league four years. He’s older and he’s a right-handed shot, which we were looking for. He’s very good with the puck. He knows how to play the game in the d-zone and he just gives us another weapon back there.”
Gerard Keane said the trade that brought his brother to London happened pretty quickly, but he’s excited to have the chance to play on the same team as his older brother. Gerard said the closest the two have come to playing together were some intense stick hockey games in the basement back home.
“I think he will fit in well,” Gerard said. “He’s a very good skater and he’s offensive for sure. I think he brings a lot to our lineup.”
Gerard and Joey were both in the lineup Friday night.
“It will be a really cool experience,” Joey said before the game. “I’ve never gotten a chance to play with him . . . so I was definitely really excited for that.”
The addition of Joey Keane brings added pressure on Knights defenders who will have to prove what they can do for the team with Boqvist and Bouchard away at world juniors. A blue-liner will fall off the roster when the two stars return.
“They have about 10 games here to prove they can be in the lineup and they can contribute,” Hunter said. “If someone’s not playing well, we know we have another guy who can step in and help out. I think it’s a healthy competition.
Knights get away with one by outscoring Spitfires

Reactions: KnightsWatch
Sloppy game.

Evangelista looks scared out there, send the kid to Junior B to gain some confidence. If you're getting 4th line minutes when 2 forwards are outa the lineup, you have NO chance of getting in past Jan 5th

Keane Jr. needs to watch big brother Joey tie his skates..or get big bro to tie them for him. Too loose, expels too much energy

Rayzor was good to be lucky last night

Douglas is the biggest player in the OHL, I'd argue he is also the slowest. Yikes

Just a sloppy game both ways...I doubt it ranked more than a 1 on Nelli's Hedon Ranking

oh he gave it a 5...musta watched a different game ;)

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Sloppy game.

Evangelista looks scared out there, send the kid to Junior B to gain some confidence. If you're getting 4th line minutes when 2 forwards are outa the lineup, you have NO chance of getting in past Jan 5th

Keane Jr. needs to watch big brother Joey tie his skates..or get big bro to tie them for him. Too loose, expels too much energy

Rayzor was good to be lucky last night

Douglas is the biggest player in the OHL, I'd argue he is also the slowest. Yikes

Just a sloppy game both ways...I doubt it ranked more than a 1 on Nelli's Hedon Ranking

oh he gave it a 5...musta watched a different game ;)
I don't remember a game even being played last night, but a 5 would mean we won but in the ugliest way possible. :)

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
That was a sloppy game with all the talent we have on the blue line you would think we would know how to clear the zone and not turn the puck over at the line especially when it’s the last man back.

A win is a win but yuck!

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
I thought it was kinda funny that Jean Luc Foudy said in the interview that Liam did not have the best reputation in the league... then at the end of the game Liam shoots the puck in the net after the goal.

Hmmm

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Robert Thomas-Connor McMichael Trade last Season
Ryan Pyette LFP January, 2018

In a complicated deal, the Knights moved Thomas to the Bulldogs for rookie first-round forward Connor McMichael — the 11th overall selection in the 2017 OHL draft — and five draft picks, most of which have conditions attached.
The Knights automatically get Hamilton’s second-round pick in 2021. They hold Mississauga’s second-round pick in 2020, which jumps to a ’19 selection if the Bulldogs are able to acquire one.
London will own a third-rounder in 2022 that becomes a second-round pick in ’23 if Thomas helps Hamilton wins the OHL championship in May.
The 2025 and ’26 second-round picks come into play only if Thomas is returned to junior hockey next season.
Is it enough?
Frankly, no one will care much about the draft picks if McMichael can become the type of player comparable to Thomas, originally a second-round steal for London. The Knights have a lot of faith in the 16-year-old from Ajax.
"We really loved Connor in the draft," Simpson said. "We think very highly of this young man and think he’s going to be a star player in this league. He’s a centreman who has everything in character and quality we look for.
"Getting the player back was really important for us."
The Knights rarely give up veteran talent of this acclaim all in one week. It’s shaping up to be the biggest sell-off in terms of star power in the Hunter family’s 18 years of ownership — and one of the largest in franchise history.
They intend to do this restructuring now in order to win championships again in a hurry.

Robert Thomas-Connor McMichael Trade last Season
Ryan Pyette LFP January, 2018

In a complicated deal, the Knights moved Thomas to the Bulldogs for rookie first-round forward Connor McMichael — the 11th overall selection in the 2017 OHL draft — and five draft picks, most of which have conditions attached.
The Knights automatically get Hamilton’s second-round pick in 2021. They hold Mississauga’s second-round pick in 2020, which jumps to a ’19 selection if the Bulldogs are able to acquire one.
London will own a third-rounder in 2022 that becomes a second-round pick in ’23 if Thomas helps Hamilton wins the OHL championship in May.
The 2025 and ’26 second-round picks come into play only if Thomas is returned to junior hockey next season.
Is it enough?
Frankly, no one will care much about the draft picks if McMichael can become the type of player comparable to Thomas, originally a second-round steal for London. The Knights have a lot of faith in the 16-year-old from Ajax.
"We really loved Connor in the draft," Simpson said. "We think very highly of this young man and think he’s going to be a star player in this league. He’s a centreman who has everything in character and quality we look for.
"Getting the player back was really important for us."
The Knights rarely give up veteran talent of this acclaim all in one week. It’s shaping up to be the biggest sell-off in terms of star power in the Hunter family’s 18 years of ownership — and one of the largest in franchise history.
They intend to do this restructuring now in order to win championships again in a hurry.
If I'm in the trading seat..I do that deal 10 out of 10 times. Best Knights trade in recent years

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
If you are going to throw out hypotheticals it might make sense to have some rationale behind it. Including who might care to trade for the player in question and why they would pay more than London did for a full year. Flint really doesn’t need An overage D for half a year when they are going to finish last so you can’t rip them off again. Quoting someone else doesn’t really excuse you for not having a valid case,

Once again. I didnt throw out the hypothetical return on Timms.
Again but a little slower .....it.....was.....someone.....elses.... post

Nor did I suggest Flint needs an OA D or would consider trading for him. But OK

I wasnt trying make a case for trading Timms ( thou Id give him away for whatever they could get back ) Someone else was.

Anything else?

Last edited:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
To be clear, the point was not trading Timms for XY and Z. The point was would you rather trade Timms to open up a spot for a more highly valued OA Forward to save you having to deal Evangelista.

How this all ended up being about Timms is beyond me. The only part Timms plays is him leaving to open up a spot for a guy like Hancock or Brazeau or Saigon etc...

The question I was asking was...

Would you rather have:

Hancock and Evangelista

OR

Timms and Suzuki

This is all hypothetical regarding the actual player names involved coming to the Knights BUT it doesn’t change the fact that acquiring a player like Hancock will come at a price of just draft picks whereas a player like Suzuki will probably cost Evangelista plus similar picks.

Ottawa has two OA spots open and it is highly likely the 67’s fill those spots. As much as I would love to have a kid like Suzuki, it doesn’t make sense for us to go down that road until we fill the two OA spots with high alum OA’s.

I was thinking that with the addition of Keane combined with an overstock of D-Men, that trading an existing low value OA to open a spot for a high value OA may be a more economical way of filling your need up front.

Regarding Timms, make no mistake, he does have value. There are loads of team that would trade for him to help solidify their lineup. IT isn’t just about tanking for a draft pick. Many GM’s looking at the reality of finishing in the bottom half of the standings would still acquire a guy like that to help solidify their team and provide a little more veteran presence. Would they trade two 3rds? MAybe not but a 3rd and 4th or 3th and 6th? Meh, does it matter much?

Neither deal would bother me enough to pick one over the other as far as cost.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Very doubtful this year is the year to swing for the fences l. Alots of talent left out there aswell

I say he’s done UNLESS Ottawa makes a huge move to make them clear favourites in the OHL. Like for example they get Hancock, Suzuki and Durzi.... then Mark would probably feel obliged to add another big piece. I expect smaller deals to take place from now to the trade deadline

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
If it’s one card it’s Dellandrea or Tippet

If they have two cards it’ Vilardi and Dellandrea.

If it’s three cards then Vilardi, Tippet and McLeod

Going the other way;
Deal 1: 4 x cont’ 2nds
Deal 2:Evangelista, 1 x 2nd, 2 x 3rd, 6 x
cont’ 2nds,
Deal 3: Evangelista, Parrot, 3 x 2nds, 3 x 3rds, 4 x cont’ 2nds

Probably close to value might be a player/pick away but the Villardi and Dellandrea scenario our feeds would look like:

McMichael Villardi Formenton
Foudy Dellandrea Stranges
Guskov Moskal Dunkley
Turko Tymkin Cotter
Scratches; Panwar, Popov, Nelson,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad