London Knights 2014-15 Season Thread (part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
I saw on the draft board that Ben blacker decommited to Michigan...is this true and can someone source this... where will he play if so?

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I saw on the draft board that Ben blacker decommited to Michigan...is this true and can someone source this... where will he play if so?

I saw a tweet where someone mentioned WM had asked if they push back his start year til 16/17.

Not familiar at all with the player or the school. Recruiting tactic? To help land younger bro? Coincedence? Much ado but nothing? No idea

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Interesting hearing a recording of hoffords take on the draft.
Thomas has been on his radar since before he stepped up this year, Dale fell in love with kids game after going thru tape/analytics with Simpson when Lindsay brought his name up. Would have had no problem taking him first round. But when bouchard was still on the board they couldn't pass, hoping no one else had Thomas on radar. Compared Thomas to Tierney in that he just makes plays and makes linemates better.
Evans was a kid that kept growing on him. Played them a few times. His opinion was among the smartest PF type players avail.
TB kid, Tymkins coached by a knights scout ( unless I misheard) Bois type kid.

Blacker worth risk, work to do thou. Top talent.
Tkachuk is committed next year but feels both end up in the nhl and mentioned Basil has a good relationship with Dad. Both size skill n good hockey IQ.

If, if they can get blacker on board I'm really happy with this draft.

fanofdo

Oct 31, 2009
Interesting hearing a recording of hoffords take on the draft.
Thomas has been on his radar since before he stepped up this year, Dale fell in love with kids game after going thru tape/analytics with Simpson when Lindsay brought his name up. Would have had no problem taking him first round. But when bouchard was still on the board they couldn't pass, hoping no one else had Thomas on radar. Compared Thomas to Tierney in that he just makes plays and makes linemates better.
Evans was a kid that kept growing on him. Played them a few times. His opinion was among the smartest PF type players avail.
TB kid, Tymkins coached by a knights scout ( unless I misheard) Bois type kid.

Blacker worth risk, work to do thou. Top talent.

Tkachuk is committed next year but feels both end up in the nhl and mentioned Basil has a good relationship with Dad. Both size skill n good hockey IQ.

If, if they can get blacker on board I'm really happy with this draft.

The Knights have a pretty decent record making this happen.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
They've missed as much as hit. But yes I agree they do it well. As well as any1 the last ten yrs.

Just a fan of his game and hopeful. Someone I wanted them to take a shot with.

If he doesn't show I still like it but only time will tell. Most people like their drafts, til we see a couple years down the road lol

newfan

Jun 6, 2009
Well peeps...I've attended my last game this season. Can't make myself sit through another one. Gonna let Pops take my uncle for game 4 so that his brother can get a chance to see McDavid play live before he jumps to the NHL next season.

See ya all at mini camp.

when is mini camp?

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Going to be tough to extend this to 5.
Erie just to strong and rolling along.
Really thought I'd see more pushback in terms of trying to be tough to play against but I can't see it now.
I think they go away quietly tonight facing elimination.

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
They played a great game for 40 minutes Sunday night. If Marner returns to the line-up, I think they can force a game 5; otherwise, I'd agree, they're done.

Regardless of what Sportsnet, the Hunters and the media say, Marner is the Knights' best player and without him, they just don't stand a chance against a team as deep as the Otters. It's just a shame the series had to play out the way it did....could've been a good battle with Domi and Marner in the line-up every game, especially if Hunter were to finally separate DVO and Max and re-unite DVO with Mitch.....but chances are, never would've happened anyway.

The league really needs to come up with a better solution.....Marner for Marchment is most definitely NOT an even trade-off.

Last edited:

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
They played a great game for 40 minutes Sunday night. If Marner returns to the line-up, I think they can force a game 5; otherwise, I'd agree, they're done.

Regardless of what Sportsnet, the Hunters and the media say, Marner is the Knights' best player and without him, they just don't stand a chance against a team as deep as the Otters. It's just a shame the series had to play out the way it did....could've been a good battle with Domi and Marner in the line-up every game, especially if Hunter were to finally separate DVO and Max and re-unite DVO with Mitch.....but chances are, never would've happened anyway.

The league really needs to come up with a better solution.....Marner for Marchment is most definitely NOT an even trade-off.

Not sure what you mean about a better solution by the league. Suspend Mcdavid because of what Marchment did?

And realistically London had no chance to take this series further than 5 games, with or without marner. Erie outshot London 21-3 in game 1 for the first period before any injuries and that was the only time London scored before the 3rd period and held a lead all series with a 2-0 lead. Marner would have just made the series more exciting to watch because he is a great individual talent but doesn't change Erie winning the series quickly regardless

Not sure what you mean about a better solution by the league. Suspend Mcdavid because of what Marchment did?

And realistically London had no chance to take this series further than 5 games, with or without marner. Erie outshot London 21-3 in game 1 for the first period before any injuries and that was the only time London scored before the 3rd period and held a lead all series with a 2-0 lead. Marner would have just made the series more exciting to watch because he is a great individual talent but doesn't change Erie winning the series quickly regardless
Agreed...but let's take this twist. Let's take McDavid out and Baptiste out as well as Williams. London will subtract Bergman as well. Erie in my opinion still wins, but the playing field just got a lot more level.

I think the point most fans in Erie are missing is London's chances were slim to none regardless, we get that, but any glimmer of hope we had was quashed with 2 predatory hits. That's the issue at hand. We only had a fraction of a chance, but now we have nothing. I get that you play the hand you're dealt, I have no issue there, but when you don't even get a chance to trump one of the oppositions cards it can rot your ass a bit.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Maybe for the sake of experiment maybe a Mc David or Strome or Debrincat should be injured for the start of the Soo series I mean Soo is gonna beat them handily anyway... why not just for sake of this experiment.. Sorry guys using my Erie fan logic there..

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Agreed...but let's take this twist. Let's take McDavid out and Baptiste out as well as Williams. London will subtract Bergman as well. Erie in my opinion still wins, but the playing field just got a lot more level.

I think the point most fans in Erie are missing is London's chances were slim to none regardless, we get that, but any glimmer of hope we had was quashed with 2 predatory hits. That's the issue at hand. We only had a fraction of a chance, but now we have nothing.

Wouldn't call the macdermid hit "predatory"
Come on. He didn't leap out or leave his skates. Did he hit him up in the head? Yes barely but largely do to the height difference. Not saying the height should factor into suspension but it should factor into your belief that he was trying to injure him. MacDemrid would have had to have his arms at his waist to hit domi anywhere near the chest. If domi wasn't half his size it's different and more importantly he isn't thrown like a little rag doll that twists and turns in the air. Macdemrid hits like that on guys a lot, sometimes worse, but nobody has ever talked about it because it's mostly 6'2 players and he hits him more in the chest

The Marchment hit was worse yes but Marchment is a rookie who has no goon record to his name. He just does stupid stuff all the time and that was one of them, more or less I would call his hit a troubling lack of discipline that shouldn't be allowed.

Only thing Erie fans care to argue with now is the intent to target. No they didn't intend to target and in my view the Rupert slash was more intentional because the puck wasn't even in the neighbor hood and he used his stick like a weapon. But no suspension for that

Last edited:
Come on. He didn't leap out or leave his skates. Did he hit him up in the head? Yes barely but largely do to the height difference. Not saying the hit should factor into suspension but it should factor into your belief that he was trying to injury him. He hits like that on guys a lot but nobody has ever talked about it because it's mostly 6'2 players and he hits him more in the chest

The Marchment hit was worse yes but Marchment is a rookie who has no goon record to his name. He just does stupid stuff all the time and that was one of them, more or less I would call his hit a troubling lack of discipline that shouldn't be allowed.

Only thing Erie fans care to argue with now is the intent to target. No they didn't intend to target and in my view the Rupert slash was more intentional because the puck wasn't even in the neighbor hood and he used his stick like a weapon. But no suspension for that

Where did I state either Marchment or MacDermid "targeted" the Knight player? Words never left my mouth. The type of hit both were suspended for are text book "predatory hits" by every word of the definition. I have no issue with a good solid body check, but MacDermid's hit was a head hit. Black and white. Cut and dry. There's absolutely nothing to debate. It was by definition a predatory hit. As was Marchment's. I don't care if he gives kittens to kid's at the Children's hospital, it was a suspendable hit and he was suspended.

As for Rupert's slash...yes it was a bush league play..yes it is suspension worthy, yes he has a history. It's on Erie to send in the tape. The league WILL NOT review something unless the opposing team submits a tape. All 5 minute majors are reviewed automatically. Anything suspect, has to be initiated by the team.

JSavoire

May 28, 2011
Come on. He didn't leap out or leave his skates. Did he hit him up in the head? Yes barely but largely do to the height difference. Not saying the height should factor into suspension but it should factor into your belief that he was trying to injure him. MacDemrid would have had to have his arms at his waist to hit domi anywhere near the chest. If domi wasn't half his size it's different and more importantly he isn't thrown like a little rag doll that twists and turns in the air. Macdemrid hits like that on guys a lot, sometimes worse, but nobody has ever talked about it because it's mostly 6'2 players and he hits him more in the chest

I don't know about that as I've watched the hit on Domi a number of times and MacDermid does appear to me to be coming up and watch his feet, they appear to come off the ice slightly. That backs up the attempt to hit high as he was NOT driving his shoulder down low. As for height, you need to get off of that since London's Martenet is 6ft7 and while I definitely haven't watched all his games I have yet to see him suspended for MacDermid type hits. Amazing how one of the biggest D in the League can play without getting suspended.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Where did I state either Marchment or MacDermid "targeted" the Knight player? Words never left my mouth. The type of hit both were suspended for are text book "predatory hits" by every word of the definition. I have no issue with a good solid body check, but MacDermid's hit was a head hit. Black and white. Cut and dry. There's absolutely nothing to debate. It was by definition a predatory hit. As was Marchment's. I don't care if he gives kittens to kid's at the Children's hospital, it was a suspendable hit and he was suspended.

As for Rupert's slash...yes it was a bush league play..yes it is suspension worthy, yes he has a history. It's on Erie to send in the tape. The league WILL NOT review something unless the opposing team submits a tape. All 5 minute majors are reviewed automatically. Anything suspect, has to be initiated by the team.

"Predatory hit" makes it sound like that. As if there is nothing that gets worse. They weren't that. Just macdermid hitting a guy with way to much momentum (head down) and being too big for domi. Should have let up. Marchment, I'm over defending him. Was a dumb hit but Erie doesn't need him anyways. 8 games for MacDermid is too much if Rupert gets nothing. If you want to give macdermid 8 than in my view Rupert should get at least 1-2.

And FYI Erie DID send the tape. Bassin said he was sending it before the game even ended

I don't know about that as I've watched the hit on Domi a number of times and MacDermid does appear to me to be coming up and watch his feet, they appear to come off the ice slightly. That backs up the attempt to hit high as he was NOT driving his shoulder down low. As for height, you need to get off of that since London's Martenet is 6ft7 and while I definitely haven't watched all his games I have yet to see him suspended for MacDermid type hits. Amazing how one of the biggest D in the League can play without getting suspended.
If MacDermid "hits like that all the time" I'm shocked he hasn't been suspended more.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Bassin also said he'd sell his team to the Edmonton Oilers group.

Not comparable in this situation. Come on. That's an internal issue that doesn't revolve around on ice issues and games. Victor Fernandes (GoErie staff writer) was at the game and tweeted that he asked Bassin if he would send that video to the league and "the glare he gave me said it all" .. Thinking Bassin sent that especially after the Macdemrid and Marchment rulings

Not comparable in this situation. Come on. That's an internal issue that doesn't revolve around on ice issues and games. Victor Fernandes (GoErie staff writer) was at the game and tweeted that he asked Bassin if he would send that video to the league and "the glare he gave me said it all" .. Thinking Bassin sent that especially after the Macdemrid and Marchment rulings
It may be an internal issue..but it speaks volumes to the credibility of Bassin's word.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

So wait.. did Bassin say he was sending the tape or did he just glare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad