News Article: Logo Change Suggested by University Prof

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Give me a break.

Again, if the hereditary chiefs feel offended about the BC Government and feel that it doesn't have any legitimacy and say they want it dissolved so they can govern, is it racist to disagree with that?

Answer please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I love the 90's skate.
It is more original and abstract, it looks more bad@ss and has an awesome vibe. The color scheme is cool and different.

The current ones give me a fun, young, but kind of tacky vibe. Something those ugly Ducks jersey's from the past. Hockey is a tough sport, those skate jersey's are more fitting with that and hockey culture in general

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Give me a break.

Again, if the hereditary chiefs feel offended about the BC Government and feel that it doesn't have any legitimacy and say they want it dissolved so they can govern, is it racist to disagree with that?

Answer please.
First of all this whole discussion is sensitive and properly answering it will turn into a political debate and I dont think this is what hf is looking for but it's tough to explain it without discussion about not respecting others peoples property
I'm not sure where dissolvation of the BC government came in as it was name change you mentioned.
Basically if a culture or people disagree with the use of their stuff then you respect it and not continue with that nonsense.
I dont see what so tough to understand about that and if you want deeper explanations then we'll be going in a dept and direction thst HD may not like.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
lol..."if a culture complains"? Who is the legitimate spokesperson for an entire culture or an entire group of "people"? Give your head a shake Jimbo.
Each culture has leaders who are elected to be spokesmen and they speak for the people.
Give your head a shake canucker as it's pretty obvious unless your looking to just argue.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Each culture has leaders who are elected to be spokesmen and they speak for the people.
Give your head a shake canucker as it's pretty obvious unless your looking to just argue.

Dude, you are the one making claims of racism against someone with a very reasonable POV on this issue. So yeah, I'd argue with that....happily. Those "elected leaders" speak only for a segment of a culture (ie their tribe), not the entire culture.

Personally, I don't think the Canucks should use any "cultural" motifs, but not because they don't have a right to, because it brings out all the whiners and PC police who always seem to come out of the woodwork with an issue.

Reactions: Metal Tattooist 71

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Dude, you are the one making claims of racism against someone with a very reasonable POV on this issue. So yeah, I'd argue with that....happily. Those "elected leaders" speak only for a segment of a culture (ie their tribe), not the entire culture.

Personally, I don't think the Canucks should use any "cultural" motifs, but not because they don't have a right to, because it brings out all the whiners and PC police who always seem to come out of the woodwork with an issue.
Thos whole topic that's been posted for discussion is about cultural appropriation and if you dont want to discuss the post topic then get out of the thread .
The racism accusation came from ms saying that changing the name of BC was not in the cards because the settlers said so but the scc says its first nations land and it's FNs call isnt it.
I've heard this nonsense all my life and if you cant see the racism in his white privilege talk then you're part of the problem period.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
A) The logo was designed during the Orca Bay ownership era, not the Aquilini ownership. So get mad at them for having the name Orca Bay and using an Orca has their logo
B) The Orca logo has a meaning to the west coast. There is an abundance of them out here. The logo definitely has meaning to the Canucks and their location. Just like how St. Louis is known for jazz and are called the Blues.
C) The logo is inspired by beautiful First Nations artwork. It has never been labeled as authentic First Nations art. The designers reached out to a couple of tribes and were told that the logo was too cartoonish to be thought of as First Nations artwork.

If the Canucks were labeling the logo as authentic then we have a huge problem, but they don't. Plus the Aquilini's and the organizations have worked hand in hand with the surrounding Aboriginals on other issues. Issues way bigger than the logo.
Now you’ve done it, the Blues are next!

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Thos whole topic that's been posted for discussion is about cultural appropriation and if you dont want to discuss the post topic then get out of the thread .
The racism accusation came from ms saying that changing the name of BC was not in the cards because the settlers said so but the scc says its first nations land and it's FNs call isnt it.
I've heard this nonsense all my life and if you cant see the racism in his white privilege talk then you're part of the problem period.

Thats not racist thats a difference of opinion...lol. If you want to run around calling anyone who disagrees with you about "ownership" of BC a racist, I'd argue that you're the problem.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Thats not racist thats a difference of opinion...lol. If you want to run around calling anyone who disagrees with you about "ownership" of BC a racist, I'd argue that you're the problem.
The supreme court of canadas decision's are not just merely an opinion but is the law of the land so unless you got something real to add to the conversation then respect the supreme law of the land like most of us do canucker.
Google the Tsilhqotin decision and inform yourself .

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
For the record I'm not only FN but am an artist and I see no cultural appropriation in the logo what I do see is a cheap attempt to look like FN art .
The only thing FN about the logo is the white T on the dorsal fin but the rest is not FN .
I doesnt even resemble the art of coast Salish people.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
The supreme court of canadas decision's are not just merely an opinion but is the law of the land so unless you got something real to add to the conversation then respect the supreme law of the land like most of us do canucker.
Google the Tsilhqotin decision and inform yourself .

The Supreme Court decision gave First Nations "title", but it doesn't grant them control...thats retained by the government. And it doesn't mean that FN can just up and change the name of the Province at their whim...not that I care if they do, or don't, I'll still call it BC...just like I still call them the Queen Charlotte Islands and not Haida Gwaii...those are the names I'm used to, thats what I'll call it, regardless of any Supreme Court decisions. lol

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
The Supreme Court decision gave First Nations "title", but it doesn't grant them control...thats retained by the government. And it doesn't mean that FN can just up and change the name of the Province at their whim...not that I care if they do, or don't, I'll still call it BC...just like I still call them the Queen Charlotte Islands and not Haida Gwaii...those are the names I'm used to, thats what I'll call it, regardless of any Supreme Court decisions. lol
I think what happens mostly is it becomes dual names like in Quebec where signs are in english french which is fine by most.
Have you bothered to research what canadas claim to land is based on .
Google the doctrine of discovery and you'll find the only piece of legal fiction in canadian law.
Anyway the discussion is about peoples right to not have their culture as a logo and if you disagree with that then say so otherwise I see you as just wanting to argue that manifest destiny is right which the scc says no too .
What do you say about justice or injustice.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I think what happens mostly is it becomes dual names like in Quebec where signs are in english french which is fine by most.
Have you bothered to research what canadas claim to land is based on .
Google the doctrine of discovery and you'll find the only piece of legal fiction in canadian law.
Anyway the discussion is about peoples right to not have their culture as a logo and if you disagree with that then say so otherwise I see you as just wanting to argue that manifest destiny is right which the scc says no too .
What do you say about justice or injustice.

I wouldn't argue that manifest destiny was right, it was wrong on every level, but the history of it won't be erased...the way is forward, not back.

Art is subjective, as long as it wasn't a plagiarized piece of art i don't believe its "cultural appropriation"...I live in Texas, I eat at a sushi restaurant where the chef is hispanic...is that cultural appropriation?

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
I wouldn't argue that manifest destiny was right, it was wrong on every level, but the history of it won't be erased...the way is forward, not back.

Art is subjective, as long as it wasn't a plagiarized piece of art i don't believe its "cultural appropriation"...I live in Texas, I eat at a sushi restaurant where the chef is hispanic...is that cultural appropriation?
Scroll up and I gave my opinion on the logo which I dont see as cultural appropriation but I challenged ms for his white privilege talk on FN right to do what they want if offended and for the record the Squamish find nothing wrong with art that has nothing to do with them .
As I said it's just a cheap attempt to imatate FN art.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Scroll up and I gave my opinion on the logo which I dont see as cultural appropriation but I challenged ms for his white privilege talk on FN right to do what they want if offended and for the record the Squamish find nothing wrong with art that has nothing to do with them .
As I said it's just a cheap attempt to imatate FN art.

I disagree with your assessment of MS's position as racist or "white privileged", I don't believe FN has the ability to arbitrarily overrule the government on any issue they don't like, even if the Supreme Court has given them title to the land...its probably something that would end up in court (again) if they couldn't come to a mutual agreement.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
I've been suggesting a logo change for 15 years, and no one has listened to me.
But my basis was on that its a dumb logo, so that may be why

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
I disagree with your assessment of MS's position as racist or "white privileged", I don't believe FN has the ability to arbitrarily overrule the government on any issue they don't like, even if the Supreme Court has given them title to the land...its probably something that would end up in court (again) if they couldn't come to a mutual agreement.
I see you as the same as ms and you just want to argue about people not having a right to be offended by your white privilege when they have a right to tell you to stop this nonsense.
FN have a right to control their own destiny and of you dont like it too bad because the supreme court of Canada has spoken and special settler privilege is no longer in the cards so argue your point but the scc is gonna strike all that nonsense down like theyve been doing for decades now.
I know rednecks dont like justice for all but that's how the SCC rolls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad