News Article: Logo Change Suggested by University Prof

Status
Not open for further replies.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Maybe I get my wish and the Orca gets removed eventually as this the new trend in sports. I'd be happy with these as the home and away set.

Canucks Pressured To Change Logo Over Cultural Appropriation Concerns

horvat-skate.jpg

KurtenbachSedin.jpg

Last edited:

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Heard it on 1040, at first, at first I thought Dhaliwal and Donny had too much irish coffee in the morning. It turned out it was real

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
This is absolutely hilarious to me. The professor is a white dude who went to SFU and teaches in Manitoba. Does he not realize he is taking jobs from educated indigenous historians by culturally appropriating their history for his own financial gain? How is he not doing the exact thing he is bitching about? This kind of snowflake, white knight, virtue signaling bullshit is going crazy.

This is the guy:
IX5hUC2o_400x400.jpg

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I hate that logo and am generally a Lefty McLefterson on social issues, but this feels like one of those 'PC gone too far' moments, like when it was actually getting suggested that we should change British Columbia's name because it was racist.

Going over-the-top on things like this undermines the whole movement toward social change. Pick your battles, and pick battles that the majority can get behind. When you start pushing for things that the great horde of middling people find ridiculous, you're pushing them back into the past instead of drawing them forward into the future.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I like the orca logo but I'd have zero issues with that change being made on those grounds. The other option might be to invite somebody appropriate to redesign the logo if the groups troubled by it are cool with that plan.

If we don't change it, and I suspect we won't, it's no skin off my back even if it does seem to be against the tide of progress.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I like the orca logo but I'd have zero issues with that change being made on those grounds. The other option might be to invite somebody appropriate to redesign the logo if the groups troubled by it are cool with that plan.

If we don't change it, and I suspect we won't, it's no skin off my back even if it does seem to be against the tide of progress.

something like this would be a cool idea by Andy Everson that I saw floating around on Twitter

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I don’t think this university professor being upset on behalf of First Nations’ people is enough to warrant a change.

But if First Nations groups feel this is appropriation a la Holtby’s mask, I think the decent thing to do would be heed those voices and make a change.

If the Canucks make a change, it would be great to return to either the Skate (my preference) or the rink and stick.

But even a revamped Orca designed by local First Nations could be interesting too.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
I think it'd be a good idea to get a Coast Salish artist to help re-design the Orca. The Andy Everson one is great.
Agreed.

i love the orca logo. It kicks ass. But I don't have a particularly strong opinion on this one. As a white settler I can acknowledge it IS cultural appropriation but from all appearances we have good relations with the Coast Salish, and I'm firmly in the camp of "whatever, as long as we don't use Johnny Canuck or that awful stick in rink".

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Going over-the-top on things like this undermines the whole movement toward social change. Pick your battles, and pick battles that the majority can get behind. When you start pushing for things that the great horde of middling people find ridiculous, you're pushing them back into the past instead of drawing them forward into the future.

Following this particular path we would still be debating whether the noble institution of slavery should be abolished and women's suffrage would be deemed a ridiculous idea.

Reactions: RussianRacket

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I don’t think this university professor being upset on behalf of First Nations’ people is enough to warrant a change.

But if First Nations groups feel this is appropriation a la Holtby’s mask, I think the decent thing to do would be heed those voices and make a change.

If the Canucks make a change, it would be great to return to either the Skate (my preference) or the rink and stick.

But even a revamped Orca designed by local First Nations could be interesting too.

i'm with the last idea as the most unifying solution. i think why not go the florida state route and give the First Nations you are supposedly honouring some equity?

whose crazy ass fragile grandpa could be outraged by that?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Following this particular path we would still be debating whether the noble institution of slavery should be abolished and women's suffrage would be deemed a ridiculous idea.

Again : re-naming the Cleveland Indians or Washington Redskins is reasonable. People can get behind that. Change can happen.

However, re-naming British Columbia is idiotic. Maybe 2% of people are ever going to get behind that. And when you get up on your high horse about stupid stuff and link it together with the reasonable stuff, you're pushing those other 98% of people away from the whole process, including the things that should happen like re-naming the Redskins. It makes it look like the racist redneck blockheads are actually the reasonable, correct ones. And that's not good.

You can agree that there's such a thing as going too far, right? Like, should we ban restaurants from serving Wonton soup if the owners aren't Chinese? Should St. Patrick's Day be cancelled because it's Irish cultural appropriation?

Also, equating the Canucks logo with slavery is ... a bit ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad