News Article: Logo Change Suggested by University Prof

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The thread tag says "News Article" but this isn't news it's click bait. Who cares what some random university professor thinks, it isn't going to change anything and the only reason it's a 'story' is because the website knows people will see the title, associate it with other real news that's happening, and rage click it.

Just don't take the bait.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
The current prevailing theory of the word Canucks is it came from Chinook Jargon, the lingua franca of the Pacific Northwest - it's our word, and it was adopted back east.
I'm not referring to the word origin itself (which is interesting, but then "Vancouver" becomes Dutch if you go down that road) so much as what it means/represents. I feel Vancouver is too special a place and too unique within Canada to have a "from this giant country" nickname for one of its sports teams, let alone two of them.

Put another way, if the Montreal Canadiens' nickname actually just meant "people from Canada" (it doesn't, for the record) I think it would be seen as rather lame in Quebec.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Maybe I get my wish and the Orca gets removed eventually as this the new trend in sports. I'd be happy with these as the home and away set.

Canucks Pressured To Change Logo Over Cultural Appropriation Concerns

horvat-skate.jpg

KurtenbachSedin.jpg

the ORCA is a killer WHALE and no HUMAN being can lay claim to it being cultural appropriation because some community has hunted it down for a long time. People call me a snowflake due to my political beliefs and I can not see this being logically on any first nations "we have right to it because,,,."list. The Orca's were here before the first nations people and will be after all of us our gone

Reactions: HockeyWooot

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
the ORCA is a killer WHALE and no HUMAN being can lay claim to it being cultural appropriation because some community has hunted it down for a long time. People call me a snowflake due to my political beliefs and I can not see this being logically on any first nations "we have right to it because,,,."list. The Orca's were here before the first nations people and will be after all of us our gone
I agree but I still hate the orca logo for Canucks. I'm just hoping to see it go for any reason.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
We should go with a monogram logo if we have to change it at all. I get some people will think it's boring but they're timeless. Still more aesthetically pleasing than stick in rink.

26219d493e430f16608e39f681bfe039.jpg

monogram-logo-design-letter-cv-260nw-1601308837.jpg

23ddd79947014eb06a4e7d02a8961746.jpg

etc

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Keep the Orca logo.

This is absolutely ridiculous.

My Opinion on the stick on the rink logo? ****** ugly as poop. My 2 year old can think of a better jersey then that.

Shame on this professor for making something out of nothing.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Keep the Orca logo.

This is absolutely ridiculous.

My Opinion on the stick on the rink logo? ****** ugly as poop. My 2 year old can think of a better jersey then that.

Shame on this professor for making something out of nothing.
I really don’t care what friggin’ logo they have on just as long as they are parading the Stanley Cup down Georgia street.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
We should go with a monogram logo if we have to change it at all. I get some people will think it's boring but they're timeless. Still more aesthetically pleasing than stick in rink.

26219d493e430f16608e39f681bfe039.jpg

monogram-logo-design-letter-cv-260nw-1601308837.jpg

23ddd79947014eb06a4e7d02a8961746.jpg

etc

These logos look pretty cool, but I'm willing to bet a thousand bucks that people will find them offensive.

For those PC pricks they HAVE to take part in the oppression olympics to achieve...something, in order to make their own pathetic lives appear slightly less miserable. These sad losers will attack any and everything and if you don't agree with them, you're a ___ist and a worse human being than Adolf Hitler.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i feel like a crucial point got missed here.

instead of let’s change the logo to something totally neutral so no one could possibly be offended, what if the team took this as an opportunity to work with the local nations to make a better logo that embodies the spirit that the team seems to want it to embody?

only maybe i will even change the word offended in the above to no one could possibly feel anything about, because it seems like the word offended is a trigger word in this thread.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
i feel like a crucial point got missed here.

instead of let’s change the logo to something totally neutral so no one could possibly be offended, what if the team took this as an opportunity to work with the local nations to make a better logo that embodies the spirit that the team seems to want it to embody?

only maybe i will even change the word offended in the above to no one could possibly feel anything about, because it seems like the word offended is a trigger word in this thread.
That still gives people incentive to be offended so that they can be involved.

If incorporating indigenous art as an inspiration for our logo was wrong the first time, we need to go in another direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seattle Totems

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
..best way to go now is a simple happy face on the jersey to make sure we don't offend anyone. Of course people suffering from dpression might feel slighted.
How about just a simple circle as the logo?

That would be culturally insensitive to rectangles..

Reactions: I am toxic

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Virtually any use of native art for commercial use by a non native artist is considered appropriation. Why would it be ok in a case such as this where the artist is not native, there is no nominal association with the brand and the team has no history or association with any native tribe.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
I don’t think this university professor being upset on behalf of First Nations’ people is enough to warrant a change.

But if First Nations groups feel this is appropriation a la Holtby’s mask, I think the decent thing to do would be heed those voices and make a change.

If the Canucks make a change, it would be great to return to either the Skate (my preference) or the rink and stick.

But even a revamped Orca designed by local First Nations could be interesting too.

The Canucks are not a native organisation. They are a team owned by rich white real estate developers who have been criticized for taking advantage of minorities and have been accused of being slum lords. The fact that their logo appropriates or steals native art for commercial gain is a little ironic in this context.

The logo is meaningless. It has absolutely no connection to the name and it is not historical. The notion that the Canucks should go all in and continue to pretend they are something they are not
when other brands with long histories and logical identities are being forced to retire, is offensive and ridiculous.

The Canucks have no right or reason to use native imagery. If this logo is seen to be gratuitous and appropriates culture for commercial gain, it should simply be retired. Paying off a native artist or band member isn't going to anything but appease the apologists. You can't pick and choose here.

As a Canucks fan I do not want the focus to be on native art or imagery. If the logo is considered offensive it should just be retired.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
The Canucks are not a native organisation. They are a team owned by rich white real estate developers who have been criticized for taking advantage of minorities and have been accused of being slum lords. The fact that their logo appropriates or steals native art for commercial gain is a little ironic in this context.

The logo is meaningless. It has absolutely no connection to the name and it is not historical. The notion that the Canucks should go all in and continue to pretend they are something they are not
when other brands with long histories and logical identities are being forced to retire, is offensive and ridiculous.

The Canucks have no right or reason to use native imagery. If this logo is seen to be gratuitous and appropriates culture for commercial gain, it should simply be retired. Paying off a native artist or band member isn't going to anything but appease the apologists. You can't pick and choose here.

As a Canucks fan I do not want the focus to be on native art or imagery. If the logo is considered offensive it should just be retired.

A) The logo was designed during the Orca Bay ownership era, not the Aquilini ownership. So get mad at them for having the name Orca Bay and using an Orca has their logo
B) The Orca logo has a meaning to the west coast. There is an abundance of them out here. The logo definitely has meaning to the Canucks and their location. Just like how St. Louis is known for jazz and are called the Blues.
C) The logo is inspired by beautiful First Nations artwork. It has never been labeled as authentic First Nations art. The designers reached out to a couple of tribes and were told that the logo was too cartoonish to be thought of as First Nations artwork.

If the Canucks were labeling the logo as authentic then we have a huge problem, but they don't. Plus the Aquilini's and the organizations have worked hand in hand with the surrounding Aboriginals on other issues. Issues way bigger than the logo.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Again : re-naming the Cleveland Indians or Washington Redskins is reasonable. People can get behind that. Change can happen.

However, re-naming British Columbia is idiotic. Maybe 2% of people are ever going to get behind that. And when you get up on your high horse about stupid stuff and link it together with the reasonable stuff, you're pushing those other 98% of people away from the whole process, including the things that should happen like re-naming the Redskins. It makes it look like the racist redneck blockheads are actually the reasonable, correct ones. And that's not good.

You can agree that there's such a thing as going too far, right? Like, should we ban restaurants from serving Wonton soup if the owners aren't Chinese? Should St. Patrick's Day be cancelled because it's Irish cultural appropriation?

Also, equating the Canucks logo with slavery is ... a bit ridiculous.
I find your reasoning ridiculous and bordering on racism.
First of all BC has no bill of sale for this land and the supreme court has ruled on this in the first nations favor so what makes you think you have a say on land that doesnt belong to you settlers.
Irish day is celebrated by millions of Irish world wide and if they expressed culture appropriation they we would need to respect their wishes because it belongs to them same with wonton.
If the people who own something express concerns then that's the time to act in good faith and not try to white wash it like you're trying to do here.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Agreed. But can't understand the push-back against the name 'Vancouver Orcas'.....would be unique in all of pro sports. Just get rid of current logo, which I could never understand anyway.

And it would surely be a helluva lot better than calling an NHL team 'the Whalers' after the guys who hunted the great whales to the point of extinction for their blubber and oil.

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
Keep the “C” with the Orca breaking out, it’s so much better than the ugly skate or stick in rink. Just like their blue and green colours represent where we live, ocean and the forest, the orca does as well.

There’s a video about the making of the logo, First Nations were consulted during the process and have no issues with it, they said it looks like a cartoon character.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
That still gives people incentive to be offended so that they can be involved.

If incorporating indigenous art as an inspiration for our logo was wrong the first time, we need to go in another direction.

assuming that there's a reasonable adult discussion to be had here (and maybe there isn't, hell we're on page seven of the same thing, probably there isn't), i think there must be a way to reconcile the team's stated desire to pay tribute to its host nations in a way that the host nations are happy with and compensated for in some way.

beyond that, it really shouldn't matter what randos on the internet on either side say. but i think those randos, on both sides, are being seen as the goalposts here, which is fundamentally a distraction.

i agree 100 with the bolded. but one thing these debates in our cultural fields are working towards is creating sets of protocols and best practices, precisely so you can't just pay off one or a few people to sign off for the group. it's not without its problems, as the messiness of the dispute between the Wet'suwet'en band council and hereditary chiefs in the coastal gaslink pipeline dispute shows. but there are agreed upon ways that elders or cultural leaders can make decisions on behalf of a nation that gets around what you're talking about here.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I find your reasoning ridiculous and bordering on racism.
First of all BC has no bill of sale for this land and the supreme court has ruled on this in the first nations favor so what makes you think you have a say on land that doesnt belong to you settlers.
Irish day is celebrated by millions of Irish world wide and if they expressed culture appropriation they we would need to respect their wishes because it belongs to them same with wonton.
If the people who own something express concerns then that's the time to act in good faith and not try to white wash it like you're trying to do here.

First off, your BS accusations of racism. Nothing I said there was remotely racist.

Go back and read my post again. The St. Patricks day example wasn't a direct comparison. I was asking using it as a construct to ask a poster if there was any point where he would agree that political correctness and cancel culture had gone too far. And apparently there wasn't in his mind.

If a group has been poorly treated in the past, absolutely there can and should be concessions and compensation for those wrongs. That doesn't mean that ANY concession to that group is automatically deserved and fair.

And yes, re-naming British Columbia is absolutely idiotic, and is never going to happen. And trying to push through absolutely stupid things like this defeats the credibility of the whole movement and divides people against a group at a time when we should be looking for common ground and rebuilding relationships.

If some hereditary chiefs start saying that we should dissolve parliament and that they should be governing the entire province and everyone in it, is that going to happen? Is it a reasonable discussion point? Of course not. There are limits to reasonable, and trying to find those limits is not 'racist'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Keep the “C” with the Orca breaking out, it’s so much better than the ugly skate or stick in rink. Just like their blue and green colours represent where we live, ocean and the forest, the orca does as well.

There’s a video about the making of the logo, First Nations were consulted during the process and have no issues with it, they said it looks like a cartoon character.

It's in rather poor taste by the organization to claim to speak on behalf of First Nations groups while simultaneously failing to maintain a functional dialogue with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad