News Article: Logo Change Suggested by University Prof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
lol...FN “controls it’s own destiny” within the confines of the Supreme Court’s decision which I think you are overestimating...but perhaps that’s just my redneck “white privilege” talking. :laugh:
Supreme court decisions are final and the end of the road unless you want to take issues to the world court in the Hague.
Why cant we just agree that if a people are offended by a sports logo then get another non offensive logo it's certainty not the end of the world since it's the team play that is most important.
I already said I find no offence to the logo but you want to argue about what now?

Reactions: tradervik

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Or...if some people are “offended” by something, understand that it may not be offensive to a majority of other people and that, even though they have the right to be offended by it, it doesn’t mean the rest of the people need to share in their outrage or unhappiness. The offended party can move along and be offended somewhere else...the loudest whiners shouldn’t always get their way.

Reactions: stampedingviking

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
For the record I'm not only FN but am an artist and I see no cultural appropriation in the logo what I do see is a cheap attempt to look like FN art .
The only thing FN about the logo is the white T on the dorsal fin but the rest is not FN .
I doesnt even resemble the art of coast Salish people.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, the "T" as you've called it is rightfully called a "flicker feather", on the dorsal fin where the killer whale's
clan is supposed to go which, by definition, makes it not an orca. it's not even a whale since it doesn't even have a blow hole. So, some sort of fish. A shark maybe.

I would say the S-Form for the eye and the U-Forms in the mouth and teeth also stylize it as Native Art. I'm also aware that S-Form, U-Form, Ovoid, and Flicker Feather are words that were invented to describe the forms but they were used by Hilary Stewart and other artists so...

Last edited:

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I'm going to go ahead and assume that most of the people speaking on this issue are not indigenous. So we can't really speak on if we find this logo appropriate or not. I mean think about it. It's kind of silly for some random white guy to be like THIS LOGO IS NOT OFFENSIVE OR CULTURAL APPROPRIAITON. You can't make that assessment. :laugh:

There is a very sensitive history here. This is never going to be cut and dry. Which is why I'm of the opinion that if the logo ever had to change for whatever reason, we go with a safer route.

No need to re-do the Orca with the help of blah blah blah with consultation from the blah blah blah in accordance with the blah blah blah with further guidance from the blah blah blah. Just go with some thing else.

And it's not just us, by the way. The Blackhawks logo change thread was just as much of a tire fire.

Last edited:

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
I'm going to go ahead and assume that most of the people speaking on this issue are not indigenous. So we can't really speak on if we find this logo appropriate or not. I mean think about it. It's kind of silly for some random white guy to be like THIS LOGO IS NOT OFFENSIVE OR CULTURAL APPROPRIAITON. You can't make that assessment. :laugh:

There is a very sensitive history here. This is never going to be cut and dry. Which is why I'm of the opinion that if the logo ever had to change for whatever reason, we go with a safer route.

No need to re-do the Orca with the help of blah blah blah with consultation from the blah blah blah in accordance with the blah blah blah with further guidance from the blah blah blah. Just go with some thing else.

And it's not just us, by the way. The Blackhawks logo change thread was just as much of a tire fire.

It was a white professor who wrote the article, so does that mean the article is inappropriate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad