Prospect Info: Logan Stanley: How has he progressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I have doubts that there will be much of an AHL season. I wonder if there will be some agreement to expand NHL rosters to ensure that AHL prospects that don't have a place to play in Europe don't lose a year of development.

You have to think that they will come up with something. Between junior hockey and AHL they will likely just follow the NHLs lead and try something out that limits travel.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
You have to think that they will come up with something. Between junior hockey and AHL they will likely just follow the NHLs lead and try something out that limits travel.
i wonder how profitable the AHL is in the best of times.
now you're talking about no-travel, no-fan hockey. how would they make money? TV? lol

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I have doubts that there will be much of an AHL season. I wonder if there will be some agreement to expand NHL rosters to ensure that AHL prospects that don't have a place to play in Europe don't lose a year of development.
I'm assuming this will happen but even so, I think it will be a setback for the young guys developmentally.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

i wonder how profitable the AHL is in the best of times.
now you're talking about no-travel, no-fan hockey. how would they make money? TV? lol

I'm assuming this will happen but even so, I think it will be a setback for the young guys developmentally.

Its a challenge for 31 NHL teams. They need to develop their prospects so sitting idol is not an option. What the most cost effective solution is will be interesting to monitor.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Its a challenge for 31 NHL teams. They need to develop their prospects so sitting idol is not an option. What the most cost effective solution is will be interesting to monitor.

Agreed. I think most AHL teams are NHL owned and exist solely for the purpose of developing prospects. I have tonthink there will be something that will be done so that prospects don't stagnate.

Reactions: ps241

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Agreed. I think most AHL teams are NHL owned and exist solely for the purpose of developing prospects. I have tonthink there will be something that will be done so that prospects don't stagnate.
an agreement with european teams. easy fix

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
  • Seeing all of this Laine-is-gone talk makes me wonder if everyone has given up on Stanley as a possible solution to what ails the Jets defensively. Is there any hope that he might be ready to make the step up to the third defensive pairing yet?
From what I have heard from a few who gave watched him a fair bit, is that he tries hard, seems to focus on the play around him, ahead of him, works hard for theteam/ coaches in practice, etc but...He just seems out of the play a little. This level of talent, speed in AHL is a 1/2 step ahead of him when he decides to involve in the play.
His feet can be quick for big guy but something just doesn't resonate from the head-to the hands-to the feet in carrying out the right play most of the time.??
I haven't seen much from him personally so I am going by previous reports from others.
I wonder if he really thinks of trying to finesse plays and wants to carry the puck out to start offensive plays but his reaction time, actual abilities are not quick or smooth enough at this level? I say this because I have heard a few peeps say that he tries to hang onto the puck and deek opponents out too often when he should look for the safest outlet or exit pass and move forward with the play as it pans out in front of him.
He is a giveaway guru sometimes and gets burnt on not quite quick enough turnabout when reacting.
This should be Villenoove's task to help avert and convert this negative out of his play ( if possible?).
He may pan out, with continued feet work, hand-eye coordination exercises and practice, strong D positioning and recognizing the safe the play 1ST and being okay with that, as an alright 3rd pairing guy on the cheap? As it is, if he struggles to keep up to the play in the AHL, what is the hope to catch up at the top level?
Maybe he needs some boxing lessons and should use his big body to terrorize opponents, when he can catch them? A little Buff policeman re-enactment, would be good for this roster!

Last edited:

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I was quite pissed when his name was called. I saw him at the U18's and didn't see what all the fuss was about. A he had was size, none of the rest of his game was at all up to snuff.

He's improved a lot since then but that doesn't amount to muxh in the grand scheme of things when you start at a 2 out of 10 and are competing with prospects that start at 5 or 6 out of 10.
Yah, I remember thinking Chevy should have picked Filip Hronek I that position, if a D at all, or least Kale Clague for a larger body Dman. Not sure what Clague has product yet?? I was really high on Ryan Lindgren back then, had him way ahead of Stanley.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I have no idea what is going to happen but one thing I heard is they might explore having teams have their guys in one city and they play games there then they move around to the next city

So you have 8 AHL teams in one city. They play/practice and isolate. Play each 5 times in however many days they need to then they move to play the other 8 in your conference.
Interesting. It would have to be something like that. Even if they can get in 40 games or so, it would be a lot better than nothing in term of development.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Some deep pockets TV gurus should offer a very reasonable full-feed AHL and CHL, junior leagues TV games forecasting, while cities, regions, areas of Canada and U.S. figure out the is virus thing, so that no fans in the buildings yet, early season.
Would need the NHL to oversee main funding of these development teams for sure. But media $$$$money mongers could play a vital role too!

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Yeah, I kinda figured at best-case, he might turn into a Marc Methot type guy. Pair him with an offensive-type D, and he'll easily take care of the rest. That being said, he's got a ways to go yet.
Stanley needs to be coached to play Defense 1st.
His tendency is to want to start plays out of his own end after getting a loose puck, instead of playing D in own zone to make loose pucks off the opponent, and get it out or to a teammate. A 'Bobby Orr'he sure ain't but have heard that is his mentality!

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
With his work ethic and tools I think he can surpass Chiarot while playing a similar game, and most feel Ben is a legit 4-5 guy now. Brendan Dillon is another stylistic comparison who had to work his way up. None of these guys were top prospects.

I agree with the frustration that Stanley will never live up to his draft position (Girard!) but he doesn't need to become Chara to be useful to the team. He's in an ideal place to develop on the Moose right now and his best hockey is all clearly ahead of him. Let's remember he's a gangly kid (1998) who hasn't even finished filling out yet. I think we should keep him in the slow cooker and let him overcome those injuries. Maybe he'll be a nice/nasty surprise in the Jets lineup in a few seasons.
A "little" Zdeno mean-streak in him would be a positive!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
A "little" Zdeno mean-streak in him would be a positive!

There is only one Chara and only one Buff. Once Big Z retires all the War rooms can stop trying to find the next Chara, or before him the next Lindros, or before him the next Neely. Some guys are unicorns and they screw up draft war rooms for decades chasing rainbows.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad