Prospect Info: Logan Stanley: How has he progressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
It has been three years now, and Logan Stanley is still at least a couple of years away from the big dance. He is now 21, and the question now becomes will he ever make the Jets. Considering Winnipeg selected two defencemen as their top picks in the 2019 Draft, Stanley could become expendable.

I compared him to Boris Valabik in 2016. How has he performed in Winnipeg last season?

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
It has been three years now, and Logan Stanley is still at least a couple of years away from the big dance. He is now 21, and the question now becomes will he ever make the Jets. Considering Winnipeg selected two defencemen as their top picks in the 2019 Draft, Stanley could become expendable.

I compared him to Boris Valabik in 2016. It looks like I may have been right.

You clearly didn't watch him at all this year with the moose, he had a pretty decent season and made some good progress. He will likely get at least one call up this year and could be a regular in the NHL within a year or two, nowhere close to a bust at this point.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Your usually quite right in your Hockey observations Jets4Life --you certainly were with Hellybuyck. Let's hope your wrong about Stanley, but it's not looking that way.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg

I went to a number or Moose games last season. The first time out I didn't really expect much out of Stanley, but alas he played awesome that game.

The rest of the season he was the best player on the ice... I mean he was the only player able to go back, calmly get the puck and move it with ease. He also picked his spots really well to jump into the play offensively. His pinches were spot on.

The best part of his game is that it really doesn't seem like he's picking someone up net front, but when the puck gets to the net he's got an amazing ability to defend the puck, by that I mean the puck can literally be sitting in one spot with everyone hacked and wacking while Logan calmly keeps the puck between his legs, he'll start to pivot, using his legs hips and stick to keep multiple players from getting a stick on the puck, it's amazing. He wins those net front puck scrums so well.

Not a bust.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
A dman at 21 isnt officially a bust. I think he has a up hill climb. I didnt have high Hope's for him when we picked him, but he is a jet and seems to be a decent kid so I'm holding out hope.

If we are having this conversation when he is 25 yeah. Remember poolman is 25.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Eh, we'll see what he does this year. If he doesn't take another step I'll be worried but 21 is still very young for a dman. Never expected anything but a bottom pairing dman best case scenario anyways.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

pateramus

Jan 10, 2013
Winnipeg
I was hoping for an update on Stanley to see where everyone thought he was. Sounds a little mixed. I will stay optimistic. They did say they knew this was a "long term" pic as in they knew it would be multiple years of development.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Maybe it is just me but I thought his rookie year in the AHL was pretty good and that he made some decent progress. 18th OA might have been too high for him but many Jets fans are so hard on this guy.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Look, I'll say this. We've given a lot of crap to the Jets ever since this was the selection made, and rightfully so. Logan was probably never going to meet the expectations placed upon him when the Jets made him their first rounder. That's not his fault. It's a bit disappointing that he's not kicking down any doors and stepping into a #2LD role and performing well, but that really never was what he was going to do. Most people had him slotted as a likely good third pairing. If that's what a 3rd+ rounder returned, most people would be ecstatic. First rounder? Not so much.

Anyways, how about some stats. All from Prospect-Stats:
PQHmBNt.png

Nothing terrific, but nothing dreadful in terms of his output. Based on the website's owner, Hayden Speak, who spoke towards "Making The Jump - How AHL Players Become NHL Players" at SeaHAC some time ago, Logan Stanley hits about 3 of the 6 criteria in being ready to make the jump: under 23, over 1.5 shots per game, and about 15 minutes or more of expected time on ice. For the Moose, the following players had a >10% chance of jumping from the AHL to the NHL in the following season:

wVxqTL3.png

Fan-favourites Niku and Appleton are the highest, with Vesalainen close behind (though likely influenced by his short stints in the AHL), with Stanley being 4th overall (Poolman is lower because of his age). Being only 21, he has about one or two more years before the team can likely write him off as a non-NHL player.

In other words, criticism should be focused solely on the Jets, not Stanley.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Or you may have been wrong. Nobody has been more disappointed in the trade up and pick than I have, but it is still too early to declare Stanley a bust. He had a decent rookie season in the AHL. Not outstanding, but decent. He is exceeding my expectations so far, at least by a bit. He gets at least 1 more year, probably 2.

Is he expendable? That's a different issue. Of course he is expendable. But the number of D prospects in our system does not determine whether he is a bust or not.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Doubt he'll be the next Trouba but I expect that he'll still make the team in the next year or two and we can see how good he is then.

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
Golfed with Logan at the Scheifele tournament on Friday. What a fantastic guy. Since it was draft day I asked him about his draft day and it was an interesting conversation. He and his family went for breakfast with a team that told him they were drafting him and their pick was not far from where he was selected. He would’ve been gone if the Jets hadn’t made the move. He did say the Jets were very coy with him leading up to the draft. It was a fun and interesting day with lotsa stories.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Golfed with Logan at the Scheifele tournament on Friday. What a fantastic guy. Since it was draft day I asked him about his draft day and it was an interesting conversation. He and his family went for breakfast with a team that told him they were drafting him and their pick was not far from where he was selected. He would’ve been gone if the Jets hadn’t made the move. He did say the Jets were very coy with him leading up to the draft. It was a fun and interesting day with lotsa stories.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. This does support the theory that Chevy traded up because he knew Stanley was going to be gone otherwise.

Too bad about the thread title, no need to include a reference to being a bust. Could have just had a discussion about the kid. From what I saw last season was more of a big step forward year rather than a guy on his way to busting.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
From what I saw from a few Moose games I attended last years he'll be an NHLer pretty soon. Probably bottom pairing though, but still far from a bust.

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
I think everyone has forgotten about him. The experts talk about the depth of the Jets blue line and names like Niku, Green, Vallati (sp?)come up. Stanley is never mentioned. I think you see him in the NHL this year. Probably not to start but I’m sure we’ll see him at some point.

Reactions: jgimp

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Until he is 23-24 I don’t write him off. As long as there is progress it’s all you can ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad