Recalled/Assigned: Logan Shaw recalled, Rocco Grimaldi assigned to Portland

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Completely agree, Rocco can draw penalties and puts the Islander defense back on their heels whenever he used his speed. Now all the Isles have to do is focus on containing Smith's speed, everyone else should be no problem until Trocheck comes back.

but they were playing on completely different lines. if all they worry about for the 2nd line is smith then they got a 6'6 center ready to bully his way to the net and get chances. and hudler and purcell weren't producing because of grimaldi, adding someone who can help keep possession down low in the offensive zone and protect the puck more, work the cycle game more effectively, i think they'd benefit more with shaw than grimaldi honestly. also helps to have someone bigger and stronger to help out in the d zone. the only thing grimaldi would be doing better right now than shaw is being a bit more faster, but that didnt amount to much considering how easily he'd get knocked off the puck. that line and the team will benefit more with shaw.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
but they were playing on completely different lines. if all they worry about for the 2nd line is smith then they got a 6'6 center ready to bully his way to the net and get chances. and hudler and purcell weren't producing because of grimaldi, adding someone who can help keep possession down low in the offensive zone and protect the puck more, work the cycle game more effectively, i think they'd benefit more with shaw than grimaldi honestly. also helps to have someone bigger and stronger to help out in the d zone. the only thing grimaldi would be doing better right now than shaw is being a bit more faster, but that didnt amount to much considering how easily he'd get knocked off the puck. that line and the team will benefit more with shaw.
I meant the Isles having 2-3 different lines with speedsters to worry about. Gallant throws out the Bjugs line, then Isles have keep up with Smith. Gallant throws out Grimaldi and they got to keep up with Rocco. He throws out the Mack-Truck line and they have to keep up with Derek....The Isles don't have the personnel to keep up with everyone unless they start double shifting players. Hudler wasn't doing too much even with Bjugstad on his line, tho Nick plays a solo game.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
I meant the Isles having 2-3 different lines with speedsters to worry about. Gallant throws out the Bjugs line, then Isles have keep up with Smith. Gallant throws out Grimaldi and they got to keep up with Rocco. He throws out the Mack-Truck line and they have to keep up with Derek....The Isles don't have the personnel to keep up with everyone unless they start double shifting players. Hudler wasn't doing too much even with Bjugstad on his line, tho Nick plays a solo game.

Sorry, but can't agree with you here... Rocco would come flying on center ice then get bumped in the offensive zone and fall on the ice and lose the puck. I think if you put his linemates with someone that can keep posession and distribute they would be more productive... I also saw him being unable to make a difference in the defensive zone. He tried, but his stick is too short to make effective poke checks and his body too small to body check consistently. It is no surprise he was benched in the 3rd period of a tight game.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Shaw scores just as much as howden and hits just as much.. he makes less mistakes than howden which Is critical for a 4th liner.. yes howden can bring more but he can also hurt u where shaw wouldnt.... he adds 10 mins of dependable mistake free hockey which is valuable in playoffs.. howden is a bigger risk

All completely wrong.

Howden has 11 points in 58 games(.19ppg). Shaw has 7 in 53 (.13) and two goals for shaw are empty netters. It may look like a small difference but it's not so much when you're getting fourth line ice time. Howden is a -1 on the season, Shaw was a team worst -7. Yes I know +/- is taken with a grain of salt but he was the worst on the team by far with a -7 for a supposedly less risky and responsible player. I'd say there is no upside with Shaw with just as much downside, if not more.

We saw what happens on the forecheck when you pressure the Islander's D. Howden could be our best player at doing that. Plus Gallant is going to shorten the bench in the third if the game is tight. Howden being less dependable is false. It's all blown out of proportion by the one blunder against the Islanders in the 3-2 collapse. Gallant plays favorites, coaches do that.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Sorry, but can't agree with you here... Rocco would come flying on center ice then get bumped in the offensive zone and fall on the ice and lose the puck. I think if you put his linemates with someone that can keep posession and distribute they would be more productive... I also saw him being unable to make a difference in the defensive zone. He tried, but his stick is too short to make effective poke checks and his body too small to body check consistently. It is no surprise he was benched in the 3rd period of a tight game.
Game 2 I didn't notice Rocco much, but Game 1 he played very well (minus the faceoffs), granted it was live at the arena.

If It's Purcell-Mack-Hudler and Wilson-Shaw-Thornton, then I won't mind the move so much, as Mack can probably raise those guy's playing level up and Shaw just needs to hit, grind and survive out there.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Game 2 I didn't notice Rocco much, but Game 1 he played very well (minus the faceoffs), granted it was live at the arena.

If It's Purcell-Mack-Hudler and Wilson-Shaw-Thornton, then I won't mind the move so much, as Mack can probably raise those guy's playing level up and Shaw just needs to hit, grind and survive out there.

I think it will be, but we will find out for sure soon enough.

EDIT: It looks like McKegg gets the start on the fourth with Shaw scratched.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad