Injury Report: Logan Couture on Crutches with Boot (Update: Broken Fibula) - 10/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Why is he not on IR? With Torres off we have to have limited cap space and we don't have a lot of extra players right now.

Try Tenny at forward? :naughty:

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
He can be put on LTIR at any time. If the Sharks need another NHL roster spot or cap relief.

There's a waiting period to recall though right? (7 days/24 days), wouldn't it be good to get others up? By my count (with Couture and Donskoi out) we have no extra healthy forwards right now. On a back to back road trip with the farm on the other side of the country we might be hurting for forwards.

Paul Martin is also apparently injured. Couture should be LTIRed soon.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
There's a waiting period to recall though right? (7 days/24 days), wouldn't it be good to get others up? By my count (with Couture and Donskoi out) we have no extra healthy forwards right now. On a back to back road trip with the farm on the other side of the country we might be hurting for forwards.

My guess is Donskoi could play in a pinch.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

IR = 7 days

LTIR = 10+ games, 20+ days

He'll be out way more than 3 weeks, so there's no concern with putting him on LTIR. (Has to be out 30 days before any disability insurance, if covered, kicks in.)

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
I was always against trading Couture, but I still didn't imagine him having this big of a impact on the team. Small sample size so maybe I shouldn't even mention it, but look at the team when it was missing Thornton last year and when it has missed Couture lately.

That said the defense is also a lot weaker without Martin, we went from having a strong back end to it seemingly becoming a dumpster fire with the loss of one player. Burns has gone from Norris candidate to shaky again.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I was always against trading Couture, but I still didn't imagine him having this big of a impact on the team. Small sample size so maybe I shouldn't even mention it, but look at the team when it was missing Thornton last year and when it has missed Couture lately.

That said the defense is also a lot weaker without Martin, we went from having a strong back end to it seemingly becoming a dumpster fire with the loss of one player. Burns has gone from Norris candidate to shaky again.

not saying Burns didn't play bad the last few games, but Dillon was terrible. So yes, Martin has been (so far) an affective D partner for him. He is missed.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

the team missed couture last season too and it was tough sledding. lived off the PP and jumbo.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Good to see. Sharks have done winnable games coming up so just weather the storm for another month.

Truth is though, we shouldn't be so reliant on Couture. Losing a 1B Center is a big deal, but our GA and Corsi stats are way down from where they should be. Burns isn't making the right plays and that shows. Consistent minus player, haven't seen him score at the same rate as last year, and even though he tends to get lucky sometimes... The dice don't always land in his favor. Additionally, Joe Thornton and Patty Marleau have both regressed significantly. Jumbo's line has been pretty anemic and the PP hasn't been effective at all. And frankly, that is on Joe Thornton. He is getting pushed around way too easily and he isn't able to setup a cycle down low anymore. And with Couture and Nieto gone, that second line remains at absolute GA nightmare. Other than DeMelo Marleau is one of the only minus players on the team. All signs point to Patty not making very smart defensive plays. He is the common denominator. Jumbo and Patty gotta accept their new roles. Hertl has been doing a great job at 2c, but that needs to go to Jumbo when Couture gets back. Marleau needs to be on the 3rd line with Hertl and Wingels. If we are a play-off team this year, it will be only just.

We have depth, but our big name guys just aren't performing like they should.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Truth is though, we shouldn't be so reliant on Couture. Losing a 1B Center is a big deal, but our GA and Corsi stats are way down from where they should be. Burns isn't making the right plays and that shows. Consistent minus player, haven't seen him score at the same rate as last year, and even though he tends to get lucky sometimes... The dice don't always land in his favor. Additionally, Joe Thornton and Patty Marleau have both regressed significantly. Jumbo's line has been pretty anemic and the PP hasn't been effective at all. And frankly, that is on Joe Thornton. He is getting pushed around way too easily and he isn't able to setup a cycle down low anymore. And with Couture and Nieto gone, that second line remains at absolute GA nightmare. Other than DeMelo Marleau is one of the only minus players on the team. All signs point to Patty not making very smart defensive plays. He is the common denominator. Jumbo and Patty gotta accept their new roles. Hertl has been doing a great job at 2c, but that needs to go to Jumbo when Couture gets back. Marleau needs to be on the 3rd line with Hertl and Wingels. If we are a play-off team this year, it will be only just.

We have depth, but our big name guys just aren't performing like they should.

except this isn't true at all.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...152016&gameType=2&aggregate=0&teamId=28&pos=S

our top scorers are ... ward, pavelski, thornton, marleau, and burns.

who isn't scoring as much as they should for top 6? hertl and donskoi.

our big name guys ARE performing more or less as they should. the replacement players are exactly the problem if there is one to be found in the top 6.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...152016&gameType=2&aggregate=0&teamId=28&pos=S

our big name guys ARE performing more or less as they should. the replacement players are exactly the problem if there is one to be found in the top 6.

I'm not too worried about Hertl or Donskoi. Donskoi looked really dangerous out there and I think he's going to 50p player once he gets acclimated to the NHL. Hertl has looked really good too, and I really feel like he has a ton to do with Ward and Marleau doing well to start the season, he's just not getting the points for it.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

The top scorers are just Ward and Pavelski who combined are 11 goals. The rest of the Sharks make up 15 combined goals.

Burns has scored only one goal, Marleau is at three with two coming from that one Ducks game. Overall, offensive production has cooled off since the first the first four games, and is now spotty.

Defense has cooled off as well.

This is primarily on DeBoer at the moment as he should have recognized this and made adjustments by now. So far it does not appear that DeBoer has adjusted to injuries yet, and the lack of poise in their playmaking ability on the ice lately seems to point to that.

There's been too many games of late where the Sharks looked like they were swatting pucks, but not executing passing and puck control (i.e. what we saw much of last year).

This is ending up being a critical game for DeBoer and a test for the upcoming east coast road trip later this month. He probably anticipated this and why we saw Stalock on the first game of a B2B.

However, Stalock should have won that as two of the Stars goals came from him not being in the proper position. Else, the results would have been 3-2 with a Sharks win over a defensively poor Stars team. Of course, and 0-2 win record is too small of a sample size, but the telling stat is his SV% which is ranked dead last of all goalies who've made an appearance in the NHL this season.

Sharks must come away with a win in Colorado today and avoid falling below .500

It will be up to DeBoer to come up with an effective lineup and game plan, and Martin Jones to step up with a very stingy net.

Last edited:

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I'm not too worried about Hertl or Donskoi. Donskoi looked really dangerous out there and I think he's going to 50p player once he gets acclimated to the NHL. Hertl has looked really good too, and I really feel like he has a ton to do with Ward and Marleau doing well to start the season, he's just not getting the points for it.

Their relative lack of production in the top 6 wasn't the point there, though it is below what we would want from locked-in top sixers. The point was to dispel the notion that the top players are underperforming. They really aren't, but the overall performance of the team is suffering from lack of execution, a lot of which is attributable to players playing "up" right now. While they grow into their positions, we will have some issues, and it will probably show up on the win-loss record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad