Player Discussion Logan Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hockey is a rough sport, and sometimes guys get hurt. I just think that the kid has been unlucky, and we would be making a mistake in reading too much into how his season has gone injury wise. Sometimes #%#% happens. Personally I love the fact that he's going to play some meaningful games in the Memorial Cup in May. Long term, you have to love his size and his pedigree - you can't coach that. It would have to be at least two years, i.e. after his first AHL season, before I would hit the panic button.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Hockey is a rough sport, and sometimes guys get hurt. I just think that the kid has been unlucky, and we would be making a mistake in reading too much into how his season has gone injury wise. Sometimes #%#% happens. Personally I love the fact that he's going to play some meaningful games in the Memorial Cup in May. Long term, you have to love his size and his pedigree - you can't coach that. It would have to be at least two years, i.e. after his first AHL season, before I would hit the panic button.

On the other side some players are great in the Chl and awful when they make it to the Nhl.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
On the other side some players are great in the Chl and awful when they make it to the Nhl.

Oh God, tons of them. Go check the top ten scorers for each of, say, the last ten seasons in the OHL. The number of guys who tore up the OHL, and then disappeared without a trace, is amazing OTOH, there are sometimes late bloomers who end up being better pros than they were junior players. Needless to say, drafting 18 year olds is tricky unless you're talking about no brainer generational talents like McDavid...

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I'll take any player that can help the PP right about now ;)

Seriously. Imagine having a big guy on the half boards who can use his body to protect the puck and have vision and silky soft hands for sweet passes instead of someone like Brassard who is a spazz and plays like he's frantically holding in a tsunami of diarrhea when he gets the puck?

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

Yeah, I don't have the same level of concern about Brown as we did about Jarrod Maidens.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Yeah, I don't have the same level of concern about Brown as we did about Jarrod Maidens.

Maidens had serious concussion issues. Brown has had far less serious injuries that aren't career-threatening. There's no comparison.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Seriously. Imagine having a big guy on the half boards who can use his body to protect the puck and have vision and silky soft hands for sweet passes instead of someone like Brassard who is a spazz and plays like he's frantically holding in a tsunami of diarrhea when he gets the puck?

Not quite the words I would use, but I share the negative view of Brassard. I have been waiting all season to see signs of good offensive skills, and am still waiting. Shadows of a Legwand! :sarcasm:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Maidens had serious concussion issues. Brown has had far less serious injuries that aren't career-threatening. There's no comparison.

It's always been so sad to think of what Jarrod Maidens could have been without the concussions - kid just had all world skills. Sigh.

As for Brown, he's hardly the first 6'6" 18 year old to go through an awkward phase. Bigger guys often take some time to grow into their frames. Once he does, look out.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Lol...

I mean, if you're deciding to call out a player on our PP, it should be Turris.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's always been so sad to think of what Jarrod Maidens could have been without the concussions - kid just had all world skills. Sigh.

As for Brown, he's hardly the first 6'6" 18 year old to go through an awkward phase. Bigger guys often take some time to grow into their frames. Once he does, look out.

Definitely. Imagine having the skills to be a legit NHLer and losing your dream that way. Really sucks for him.

Brown has sky high potential. We jut have to be patient. He isn't the typical high first rounder who will be in the NHL by 20.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa

Here's a list of all 6-6 plus forwards (including a bunch of first rounders) suiting up in NHL in the past 10 seasons:

John Scott
Mitchell Fritz
Derek Boogaard
Martin Hanzal
Michael McCarron
David Koci
Nikita Alexeev
Buddy Robinson
Kellan Lain
Hugh Jessiman
Patrick Bordeleau
David Steckel
Nik Antropov
Brian Boyle
Nick Bjugstad

Not a whole lot to look out for.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Here's a list of all 6-6 plus forwards (including a bunch of first rounders) suiting up in NHL in the past 10 seasons:

John Scott
Mitchell Fritz
Derek Boogaard
Martin Hanzal
Michael McCarron
David Koci
Nikita Alexeev
Buddy Robinson
Kellan Lain
Hugh Jessiman
Patrick Bordeleau
David Steckel
Nik Antropov
Brian Boyle
Nick Bjugstad

None of those guys have his talent though. Or his skating except a few.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

John Scott
Mitchell Fritz
Derek Boogaard
Martin Hanzal
Michael McCarron
David Koci
Nikita Alexeev
Buddy Robinson
Kellan Lain
Hugh Jessiman
Patrick Bordeleau
David Steckel
Nik Antropov
Brian Boyle
Nick Bjugstad

You know, I think that list is exactly why his dad refused to put Logan on a weight-building program before his draft year. As soon as coaches see a tall, strong kid, he's automatically put in a power forward/enforcer/shutdown role for teams. Without the muscle, he could focus on building a skill-based game. Sneaky-smart.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

John Scott
Mitchell Fritz
Derek Boogaard
Martin Hanzal
Michael McCarron
David Koci
Nikita Alexeev
Buddy Robinson
Kellan Lain
Hugh Jessiman
Patrick Bordeleau
David Steckel
Nik Antropov
Brian Boyle
Nick Bjugstad

So what's ur argument exactly?

There aren't many good super tall NHL players, so Brown won't be one?

TrueGrit

Jul 3, 2006

John Scott
Mitchell Fritz
Derek Boogaard
Martin Hanzal
Michael McCarron
David Koci
Nikita Alexeev
Buddy Robinson
Kellan Lain
Hugh Jessiman
Patrick Bordeleau
David Steckel
Nik Antropov
Brian Boyle
Nick Bjugstad

Similar reasoning made Chara expendable to the Islanders, no?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Similar reasoning made Chara expendable to the Islanders, no?

The idea that there is some sort of magical limit of height for a player to be effective is somewhat absurd.

The reality is you're first limiting the pool of individuals to a very small number by using a 6'6 threshold, so of course you won't find a large number of players that meet that criteria and also happen to have elite talent, but that doesn't mean the two attributes can't co-exist.

If you drop the threshold by an inch or two, you start seeing guys like Getzlaf, Nash, Burns and Wheeler. Do people really think a inch or two more height for any of those guys would have killed their careers? Of course not, because it's their talent not their height that makes them effective.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I expect sort of a Blake Wheeler type growth. I expect Brown to take a few seasons to get it together and become a top 6 guy but it might take time

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Nice video package on Sportsnet. Logan Brown becoming a superstar would be very symbolic for this young franchise. To have a player who was a fan of the team and grew up (mostly) in Ottawa become a star would be a milestone.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
You guys think Logan will check HF, see White's thread has 966 comments and his has 45 and be like, "WTF, guys?"

Logan, if you read this, take it as motivation to make us fans stop being stooped heads and go kick some arse. Mmmmmkay?

You go out there and beast mode it up and get this thread to 500+ comments! You can do it! Yay Logan! Yayyyyyyy!!

edit: Or someone can tell Biancosaurus that they don't think Brown will sign his ELC. Biancosaurus will jam this puppy full of 300 "he won't sign here" posts! :sarcasm::sarcasm:

JK Bianco.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
can't wait till he's ready to join ottawa. 2 years away, but should be a nice addition to the top 9

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
I expect sort of a Blake Wheeler type growth. I expect Brown to take a few seasons to get it together and become a top 6 guy but it might take time

Can we all just agree right now to be patient and not run him out of town in year 2 because he still makes a bad pass once in a while?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad