Staples Twitter: Locker Clean Out Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Flabbergasted so many want Nelson to leave.

He had a career year and plays a position that we have very few of. Who the hell replaces Nelson as our #2C if he leaves? And furthermore, if we do sign a #2, why the hell wouldn't you want Nelson retained as a #3? We need more depth. We can't afford to let Nelson go

Rather than paying Nelson $6 million to be our average #2 center, we pay someone else more or trade for someone who is better. Paying Nelson $6 million to be our third line center might not be the best use of money.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Rather than paying Nelson $6 million to be our average #2 center, we pay someone else more or trade for someone who is better. Paying Nelson $6 million to be our third line center might not be the best use of money.
What happens if we let Nelson walk and we can't entice anyone else? Suddenly our top six gets even worse.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
What happens if we let Nelson walk and we can't entice anyone else? Suddenly our top six gets even worse.
What happens if they let Nelson walk and they can entice someone else who is better? The top six gets even better. Just to note, Nelson isn't that great. It's not as if he has some irreplaceable skill set. He's average at just about everything and there are a lot of average players in the NHL.

I personally want and expect Lamoriello to make moves prior to free agency to ensure he's not in a bind come July 1.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Flabbergasted so many want Nelson to leave.

He had a career year and plays a position that we have very few of. Who the hell replaces Nelson as our #2C if he leaves? And furthermore, if we do sign a #2, why the hell wouldn't you want Nelson retained as a #3? We need more depth. We can't afford to let Nelson go
I think Nelson we had this year is guy we want but who knows what we get going forward. I think they want him at fair price but I think we can let him go and replace him. He isn’t irreplaceable player by any means.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
What happens if they let Nelson walk and they can entice someone else who is better? The top six gets even better. Just to note, Nelson isn't that great. It's not as if he has some irreplaceable skill set. He's average at just about everything and there are a lot of average players in the NHL.

I personally want and expect Lamoriello to make moves prior to free agency to ensure he's not in a bind come July 1.
If we let Nelson walk and sign somebody better, we are still worse off than if we sign somebody better and retain him.

Reactions: duster19

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
If we let Nelson walk and sign somebody better, we are still worse off than if we sign somebody better and retain him.

Too bad for that pesky little thing called a salary cap.....

In this NHL you improve on somebody by trading their salary for a higher better skilled player. You don't just add the high salary. If LL resigns Nelson, Eberle and Lee then you are looking at the same team from last year with little room for improvement. However, if the lets 2/3 walk or all of them walk, he's got a much better chance financially to improve the roster. It's pretty telling that LL said we were missing some firepower up front. I don't think keeping Nelson is an utmost priority to fix that. I wouldn't be opposed to it, but the problem with free agency is you can't extend your own guys without taking yourself out of the mix for others. Then he's stuck with using youth in trades.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I don't know that is true. Depends on other moves. That's a lot of dough to tie up with a guy who isn't good enough to be your second line center.

We could always resign him and move him to the wing, when a center goes down Nelson can fill in. His versatility is a big reason why id like to keep him.

Keeping him to replace Eberle's wing production? It's not a bad idea. I always like guys that can play more than one position.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Duchene knows we have been chasing him for a while...
Do you think he actually will come here?
I hope so...

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Maybe this will get me in trouble here, but I like both of the guys dealt by the Rangers at the deadline. Hayes and Zucc would be a good fit here. Not quite the flashy expensive Panarin/Duchene type, but if we lose (or don't participate) in those bidding wars, both solid second-tier guys that I'd love to see skating for NYI.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
The problem paying Nelson is that we've only seen this Nelson once his entire career.

I'd prefer to keep him, but not at 7M. f*** that noise.

Reactions: YearlyLottery
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce