Staples Twitter: Locker Clean Out Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
What he has said so far is that in a worst case scenario, he may miss the beginning of training camp. Now that's obviously far from certain it remains to be seen how long he is truly out for but your hypothetical surgery is not grounded in any fact either.

And Ladd may well have setbacks that push out his recovery time, but the dude will certainly bust his ass to rehab his injury. You pushing his return to the spring is equally idle conjecture.
I think we'll see both Ladd and Clutterbuck play for the Islanders next year.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
No way dovwe take Spezza or Kovalchuk they both suck

I agree both are "role players." So was Flip. Spezza is KHL bound if he still plays. If he is your 3C....that's bad? You don't watch hockey then. I could care less about his corsi.

Kovalchuk instead of Uncle Leo. (Uncle Leo takes Clutterbuck's spot?)

We need to stop with the delusions of grandeur. Trotz wants a system.....it doesn't need to be sexy. Barzal is the focal point for the offense. He is Trotz's Backstrom. Que the morons that said Backstrom sucked this year. Panarin is not an Islander.

This team ran out of gas. And needs offense. Spezza is the same offensively perhaps better than Flip. Kovalchuk provides more than Leo.

Whomever told me 5-6 years for Barzal to be C is out of their bird. Perhaps you boys have not played a sport. Trotz groomed that kid all year. It was blatant. Sitting him. Criticizing him Overplaying him. Etc. Stop with criticizing the turnovers. If anyone plays hockey....that is nerd stuff. That kid brought it every shift.

*****Last minute edit.....all of you Ho-Sang fans........this is his moment. ***This is his last shot if he is still on the roster. Do something.....or go away. This kid has both sides of the Lincoln tunnel open to replace Eberle and/or Clutterbuck. (Clutterbuck's roster spot)

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I agree both are "role players." So was Flip. Spezza is KHL bound if he still plays. If he is your 3C....that's bad? You don't watch hockey then. I could care less about his corsi.

We need to stop with the delusions of grandeur. Trotz wants a system.....it doesn't need to be sexy. Barzal is the focal point for the offense. He is Trotz's Backstrom. Que the morons that said Backstrom sucked this year. Panarin is not an Islander.

This team ran out of gas. And needs offense. Spezza is the same offensively perhaps better than Flip. Kovalchuk provides more than Leo.

Whomever told me 5-6 years for Barzal to be C is out of their bird. Perhaps you boys have not played a sport. Trotz groomed that kid all year. It was blatant. Sitting him. Criticizing him Overplaying him. Etc. Stop with criticizing the turnovers. If anyone plays hockey....that is nerd stuff. That kid brought it every shift.

*****Last minute edit.....all of you Ho-Sang fans........this is his moment. ***This is his last shot if he is still on the roster. Do something.....or go away. This kid has both sides of the Lincoln tunnel open to replace Eberle and/or Clutterbuck. (Clutterbuck's roster spot)

If you think Spezza is a good player, you dont know hockey. Theres a reason he is playing under 10 minutes a night in the playoffs. He had 27 points this season, 12 of them were on the PP. He is extremely slow and weak defensively.

Kovalchuk also sucks, hes a shell of his former self, and still has 2 years on his contract. Hes a slow 1 way floater that has no intensity.

So no both those players suck balls, 5-10 years ago? Sure they were allstars. If this is the solution for next season, we will take a huge step back. Good thing you arent the GM, you would likely call Doug Weight out of retirement.

So because Trotz mentored and groomed Barzal all year he is going to be the captain? The best player doesnt automatically become captain, Barzal is very young and theres no reason to rush him into that position. There are plenty of good options to take the step and lead the team.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

That was me and I'll stand by it. I don't want a 21 year old kid leading the way. Yea I played plenty(and still play) and while he's a great kid I'm not just handing off the C to someone just because he's a great player. I give them the C because they are a great leader.

Lee is a leader
I don't know what Barzal is. He may not be that leader.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Like at least one game each? That’s not a very hot teak.
I think the point is is that people who just assume that they will both be on LTIR may very well be disappointed.
And neither one will come close to playing 70 games.
I'd put a decent amount of money that you're correct. But I also would place smaller amount of money that they will both play within the first month or two of the season

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I also think they probably know who they want back from this years team and now it’s about identifying who they target to replace the guys they don’t want back.

I would agree. Nelson is a tough read bc I get the impression that Trotz likes him.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Much respect to the guys for sacrificing the body. Hockey players are some of the toughest athletes out there.
I remember a number of years ago, there was a competition show that took athletes from various sports and pitted them against each other, in everything but their own sport. So, for example, a football player would compete in bowling and soccer penalty kicks but not throwing a football, while a soccer player would compete in bowling and throwing a football but not penalty kicks.

A lot of fun, but those danged hockey players kept winning.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Three more years of Boychuk, Clutterbuck, Hickey, and Komarov. Four more years of Ladd.

Makes you wonder where Lamoriello is going draw the line on Lee, Nelson, etc.
You can't blame Lou for Boychuk, Clutterbuck, and Ladd, and the contracts for Hickey and Komarov aren't as bad, or as long.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I am thinking...

1.) Leddy traded for a top 6 winger. (Eberle-esque)
2.) 4th for Kovalchuk with LA eating 50-60% of salary. (Yes seriously)
3.) Kuhnackel back (He is Clutterbuck's step in)
4.) Ho-Sang traded...would not be surprised if Dal Colle is included for another wing/center
5.) Lehner 3 year at manageable money. I think people on here are overestimating what teams are going to be throwing at him. If not, I can see Varlamov at reasonable price
6.) Spezza takes the Flip spot
7.) No Panarin. Not Marner.
8.) Nelson, Eberle gone.....
9.) Lee......gone
10.) Barzal the C
I may be wrong (won't be the first time) but I think there is a limit of 20% on retained salary.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
You can't blame Lou for Boychuk, Clutterbuck, and Ladd, and the contracts for Hickey and Komarov aren't as bad, or as long.
The Boychuk deal still isn't bad. He's still a valuable player to this team. He'll probably decline when he's on his final two years, but for now, his deal hasn't been handcuffing at all. The Ladd deal however...

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The Boychuk deal still isn't bad. He's still a valuable player to this team. He'll probably decline when he's on his final two years, but for now, his deal hasn't been handcuffing at all. The Ladd deal however...
Sorry if it sounded that way, but I wasn't criticizing the Boychuk deal. Just responding to the other poster's comment.

broncs918

Mar 26, 2009
Please don’t resign Lee,playoffs should be an indication he is a one dimensional player who isn’t worth $5plus a yr.
$5mil can be better spent than Anders Lee,he was out of position constantly ,kills fast breaks with his lack of skill and speed. He is good in front of the net but that’s it ,everything else is below average.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Komarov and Hickey aren't necessarily as bad as Ladd's deal but they just weren't necessary. I would love to see what other team was giving Komarov close to what he got here either in dollars or term. If he signed that same deal for 2 years, that would be perfectly fine. Three years is too much, but ok. Four years is just insane given the type of player he is and his skill set. I love him as a player, but considering what we already have and what our contracts already looked like, its just a complete head scratcher.

Hickey's deal isn't great now but at least its defensible when looking at the situation at the time. Toews's progression has made him expendable, but that's a good thing. His contract is movable too. You only have to look at a team like the Penguins who could have used a steady veteran in their #6 spot in the playoffs. Some team will happily take on his $2.5m salary either before the season or when a defenseman goes down. Hickey's signed through age 32. Its reasonable to assume he'll be contributing still by then. I don't think he required a 4 year deal but considering it was a relatively modest AAV, maybe the security is what made the deal. And after missing out on CdH, I think the team needed some stability on the back end. And it wasn't just Toews that made him superfluous. Pelech could easily have went south and Mayfield could have continued to look like a #7 Dman.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Komarov and Hickey aren't necessarily as bad as Ladd's deal but they just weren't necessary. I would love to see what other team was giving Komarov close to what he got here either in dollars or term. If he signed that same deal for 2 years, that would be perfectly fine. Three years is too much, but ok. Four years is just insane given the type of player he is and his skill set. I love him as a player, but considering what we already have and what our contracts already looked like, its just a complete head scratcher.

Hickey's deal isn't great now but at least its defensible when looking at the situation at the time. Toews's progression has made him expendable, but that's a good thing. His contract is movable too. You only have to look at a team like the Penguins who could have used a steady veteran in their #6 spot in the playoffs. Some team will happily take on his $2.5m salary either before the season or when a defenseman goes down. Hickey's signed through age 32. Its reasonable to assume he'll be contributing still by then. I don't think he required a 4 year deal but considering it was a relatively modest AAV, maybe the security is what made the deal. And after missing out on CdH, I think the team needed some stability on the back end. And it wasn't just Toews that made him superfluous. Pelech could easily have went south and Mayfield could have continued to look like a #7 Dman.
I would say three years for Komarov was right, but I heard at the time that there were a few other teams looking for him, and he's absolutely a Lou type player (Lou said he tried to get him when he returned from the KHL). Four years is likely too many, but it may have been necessary.

Agree about Hickey - it felt necessary at the time.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Please don’t resign Lee,playoffs should be an indication he is a one dimensional player who isn’t worth $5plus a yr.
$5mil can be better spent than Anders Lee,he was out of position constantly ,kills fast breaks with his lack of skill and speed. He is good in front of the net but that’s it ,everything else is below average.

You know you have to get to the playoffs right? Lee helps with that. He's also a prime candidate to perform well in the playoffs if the team surrounding him was better. Out of position constantly? He wasn't, in fact, nobody on the team was.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Flabbergasted so many want Nelson to leave.

He had a career year and plays a position that we have very few of. Who the hell replaces Nelson as our #2C if he leaves? And furthermore, if we do sign a #2, why the hell wouldn't you want Nelson retained as a #3? We need more depth. We can't afford to let Nelson go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad