OT - NO POLITICS Local Only COVID-19 Discussion 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Continued from OT - NO POLITICS - Local COVID-19 Discussion IV

The purpose of this thread is to discuss and provide COVID-19 information of LOCAL INTEREST

For more expansive discussion use COVID 19 - The Coronavirus Outbreak

You may critique the response of government but don't make it political.
Posts attributing motives because it involves this or that political party/politician/ideology will not be tolerated.

Local interest refers to what's going on in your community.

Posts about causes, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention are no longer allowed unless there is a local component. Otherwise they belong in
COVID 19 - The Coronavirus Outbreak

Hopefully by the time the season starts there will be no need for a separate thread and the OT thread can be used for all discussion

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
We're preparing for another surge at Strong. Just got word from our nursing director. We haven't had a COVID update since July due to the numbers being so good, but people are starting to socially gather indoors now and numbers are increasing. Fatigue is setting in as well, but I have faith our community will be diligent now that the numbers are rising. I already have family that were risky during the summer say they want to be extra safe now that numbers are rising.

Unfortunately, mask usage has been a bit lackluster here at the hospital lately. I'll see nurses talking with the masks pulled down below their chin. I've even witnessed nurses walk patients around and pull down their mask to talk to them, which is crazy since we're on a cardiac ICU.

The crazy thing is- according to our nursing director- our antibody testing showed that there was more exposure to the virus in the general community than there was within our hospital. We can't social distance at all on an ICU or in ED. If a code hits we're yelling to staff and very densely packed in a patient room. The only thing we had to keep us safe was surgical masks. As I said, some nurses are very risky, so it's not like our behavior outside of work is keeping us any safer. That's enough evidence for me to continue wearing my mask and I hope you all do too.

Finally, hospitals in southern NY have stopped allowing visitors due to the COVID surge. This really saddens me because I watched patients deteriorate with no loved ones around. We had a code back in April where the patient died, and there was no family there for us to console, which was so strange to me. Nurses were crying. We did a moment of silence like we normally do, but it was a bit...surreal. I'll never forget losing that patient. Some of them stick with you. This one will because his last days he was alone with no family to support him.

Mask up, people. Avoid densely packed gatherings with family and friends. I don't want anyone to have to go through losing someone they care about and not being able to say good bye. My wife and I are preparing to hunker down again if cases continue to rise. Here's to hoping the community can stay diligent, and the testing and contact tracing we have, which has been very effective for us- will mitigate the spread.

Stay safe out there, folks.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
One of my employees will be working from home for at least the next couple weeks, his wife tested positive last night. So far he's been asymptomatic and hasn't been tested, but he's going to get one this week. The states where my company has locations have all been going up with cases lately. In our PA location, the hospitals in the area are currently at 85% capacity.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
The way it's starting to spread in less densely populated states is crazy. Aside from not understanding how it can spread so much in places without big cities (come on people, not that hard for you to distance if we can manage in NYC), the implications of some of the numbers are eye popping. For example, ND reported over 1000 new cases yesterday. Their population is only 760,000. That means if they keep that up for 7 days, that's 1% of the population newly infected in just a week. :O

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Erie County officials concerned with southern tier infection rate | News 4 Buffalo
BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — As the COVID-19 infection rate in the southern tier continues to rise, officials in Erie County are concerned how this could impact their area.
On Wednesday, Governor Cuomo said there are micro-clusters popping up around the New York-Pennsylvania border, which is also driving up the number of hospitalizations.
According to Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz, the counties surrounding Erie had a 40-percent hospitalization rate – the highest that number has been since the start of the pandemic.

CDC redefines COVID-19 close contact, adds brief encounters | News 4 Buffalo
Instead of 15 solid minutes of contact with a Covid infected person it's now 15 minutes cumulative over a 24 hour period

Students at a Hamburg school under quarantine after exposure to COVID-19 | News 4 Buffalo
HAMBURG, N.Y. (WIVB) — Students from a Hamburg school were sent home after coming in contact with a staff member who tested positive for the coronavirus.
According to a Buffalo Diocese spokesperson, after that staff member notified school officials, the school nurse contacted the Erie County Health Dept. and followed their guidance.

So far the schools in WNY have done really well but quite a few districts are still remote only.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Federal 'strike team' sent to Williamsville nursing home as 61 residents test positive for Covid-19
A Williamsville nursing home experienced one of the country’s biggest Covid-19 outbreaks to hit such a facility in recent weeks, prompting federal officials to send a “strike team” to the facility.
A total of 61 of the nursing home's approximately 114 residents tested positive during the two weeks, according to the federal statistics.

That's not a typical nursing home. They do short and long term rehab. It's also the rehab partner of the Sabres. I would guess the source is a worker who sees a lot of patients.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Costco is selling at home PCR test kits
The Cheektowaga Walmart is delivering them by drone.
Walmart testing drone delivered COVID-19 home test kits in Cheektowaga | wgrz.com
You have to live within a mile of the store. They will expand the program if it works well.

According to Walmart, this is how the process works:
"The kits will land on the driveway, front sidewalk, or backyard of the customer’s home, depending on where there are cars and trees. There is no delivery or kit cost for customers electing to receive an at-home kit delivered via drone. Once the kits are delivered, the person will perform a self-administered nasal swab in the privacy of their home and send their sample back to Quest Diagnostics for testing using the included prepaid shipping label."

Here's where you can book an appointment:
Quest Diagnostics

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
One of my employees will be working from home for at least the next couple weeks, his wife tested positive last night. So far he's been asymptomatic and hasn't been tested, but he's going to get one this week. The states where my company has locations have all been going up with cases lately. In our PA location, the hospitals in the area are currently at 85% capacity.

My employee now has symptoms, so it seems pretty likely he also has it.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Update from Strong:

- We've had 45 faculty and staff test positive for COVID over the past few weeks. A majority of these positives have come from outside gatherings and nurses eating lunch together.

- ICU #s at URMC: Today- 10 Yesterday- 7. Hospitalizations @ URMC: Today- 25 Yesterday- 21 Total: Today- 35 Yesterday- 28
***This doesn't include other local hospitals outside of URMC. I have no idea what their numbers are

- St. John Fisher and Nazareth college have both experienced spikes

It's been a slow but steady increase. People need to stay diligent through the fall and especially the winter. Word from one of my nurse managers is we aren't expecting as big of a surge as we saw in the spring likely due to better testing, mask wearing, and contact tracing.

It's important to remember when NY got hit the virus was likely beginning to surge before we locked-down, and before we had ample testing and contact tracing. Human behavior was also completely different as we were caught with our pants down. People were still living as if there wasn't a pandemic going on since we were far removed from it. We're better prepared today, but the major driving force will be human behavior. Testing and contact tracing can only do so much, and if the numbers begin to increase rapidly then contact tracing becomes nearly obsolete as there won't be enough man power to effectively run the operation.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Anyone know of rapid testing around the Rochester area that is either walk-in or would have appts open over the next couple days? Someone in my girlfriend's office tested positive. We are gonna have to cancel our weekend camping trip if we can't get a negative result by Friday. Employer will cover cost of any test.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Anyone know of rapid testing around the Rochester area that is either walk-in or would have appts open over the next couple days? Someone in my girlfriend's office tested positive. We are gonna have to cancel our weekend camping trip if we can't get a negative result by Friday. Employer will cover cost of any test.

All the places we've gone have had a 2-3 day turnaround.

Sorry.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Yeah. Mine came back a day later but I had a procedure sheduled two days later.

No appointments available unfortunately, at least based on the circumstances.
Call WellNow, they have testing centers all over. Even if you can't get a rapid test, you can probably get a standard one right away and get the results Friday.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Call WellNow, they have testing centers all over. Even if you can't get a rapid test, you can probably get a standard one right away and get the results Friday.
From what I saw WellNow only does rapid at two locations out east a ways. She has an appointment to get a non-rapid drive-thru test at a pharmacy tomorrow. We'll just roll with that and see what happens. Might still go if we results early Saturday otherwise we will just do it another weekend. It's just obnoxious because there is no need for her to have to go in the office one day a week. They just had five hour (!) meeting last week and someone in it tested positive so it seems like a safe bet there was spread even with mask wearing and spread seating.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
WNY's Covid daily case total, test rate reach highs not seen since May

According to Erie County's daily reports, the county's seven-day average positive test rate is 1.78%.
Western New York's positive rate also included elevated levels for counties in the Southern Tier, according to the state.
Cattaraugus County had 15 cases and a positive rate of 3.1% while Chautauqua County had 31 cases and a rate of 2.3%. Cattaraugus has a seven-day positive rate average of 2.5% while Chautauqua is at 1.8%.
Allegany County had six cases Wednesday but its seven-day average remains 3.1%.
Niagara County had 13 cases and a 1.2% rate Wednesday as its seven-day average was 1.3%.

Not great, but not terrible either. I think Cuomo's target of < 1% is unrealistic. They have yet to address the issue of PCR tests being too sensitive.
Coronavirus tests are extremely sensitive. (That could be a problem, experts say.)

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Artificial intelligence model detects asymptomatic Covid-19 infections through cellphone-recorded coughs

The researchers trained the model on tens of thousands of samples of coughs, as well as spoken words. When they fed the model new cough recordings, it accurately identified 98.5 percent of coughs from people who were confirmed to have Covid-19, including 100 percent of coughs from asymptomatics — who reported they did not have symptoms but had tested positive for the virus.
The team is working on incorporating the model into a user-friendly app, which if FDA-approved and adopted on a large scale could potentially be a free, convenient, noninvasive prescreening tool to identify people who are likely to be asymptomatic for Covid-19. A user could log in daily, cough into their phone, and instantly get information on whether they might be infected and therefore should confirm with a formal test.

This has a lot of potential. It doesn't have to a real cough. A fake one will do.
There haven't been any alerts on my tracking app. I don't think enough people use it for it to be effective. It does have nice analytics.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Artificial intelligence model detects asymptomatic Covid-19 infections through cellphone-recorded coughs

The researchers trained the model on tens of thousands of samples of coughs, as well as spoken words. When they fed the model new cough recordings, it accurately identified 98.5 percent of coughs from people who were confirmed to have Covid-19, including 100 percent of coughs from asymptomatics — who reported they did not have symptoms but had tested positive for the virus.
The team is working on incorporating the model into a user-friendly app, which if FDA-approved and adopted on a large scale could potentially be a free, convenient, noninvasive prescreening tool to identify people who are likely to be asymptomatic for Covid-19. A user could log in daily, cough into their phone, and instantly get information on whether they might be infected and therefore should confirm with a formal test.

This has a lot of potential. It doesn't have to a real cough. A fake one will do.
There haven't been any alerts on my tracking app. I don't think enough people use it for it to be effective. It does have nice analytics.

This is really cool, and the type of creative thinking Ive been pushing for. Checking sewage to find positive cases before they materialize into a huge breakout is another idea I thought was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad