OT - NO POLITICS Local Only COVID-19 Discussion 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It's better than that, because different flu strains are much more genetically different than the different strains of SARS-CoV-2 we know of so far, with the possible exception of the strain that jumped to minks and then back, I guess. Of the other strains that we know more about, from everything I've read, there's no indication that the mutations should have any impact on vaccine efficacy.
While that's true, the flu has been around for... well, I have no idea. At the very least a couple hundred years. Or thousands? Either is like an eon in virus years. So, going forward longterm I wouldn't read too much into the mutations to date but: a.) the flu vaccine system is a near-miracle in its efficacy vs. a myiad of strains which should be repeatable if some level of imunity holds to exist against this virus and b.) at the risk of exposing ignorance, I believe strains of viruses that become widespread tend to decrease in severity, with relatively deadly strains cropping up now and then but not taking hold longterm.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
While that's true, the flu has been around for... well, I have no idea. At the very least a couple hundred years. Or thousands? Either is like an eon in virus years. So, going forward longterm I wouldn't read too much into the mutations to date but: a.) the flu vaccine system is a near-miracle in its efficacy vs. a myiad of strains which should be repeatable if some level of imunity holds to exist against this virus and b.) at the risk of exposing ignorance, I believe strains of viruses that become widespread tend to decrease in severity, with relatively deadly strains cropping up now and then but not taking hold longterm.
Less severe mutations are favored because they don't take the host out of circulation where they can continue to spread the virus. It's not linear but it's irresponsible of news organizations not to point this out.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
People are done cooperating. At this point, its a way of life. Cuomo going back to lockdowns will result in large riots. People have had enough.
To be done cooperating, you have to actually cooperate in the first place.

Seeing irresponsible behavior in my personal life and uselessly finding myself in situations of being the only person in a group wearing a mask, a lot of people are ONLY wearing masks and doing anything resembling health and safety precautions during a pandemic when the law requires them to (and can actually enforce it). And even then, let's be honest, REALLY half assing it. Without wearing them correctly, cleaning them or otherwise sanitizing their hands or person.

So if that isn't working what recourse are they leaving the government but to harden those laws? They have a responsibility to protect the community, and maybe it's not a power trip... maybe... just hear me out... maybe they don't want large groups getting sick and dying on their watch. That's not a good look for them either.

I don't want more lockdowns (if you can call being able to freely leave your house but maybe not pick up ice cream from the corner hut for a few weeks a "lockdown", other countries have actual police enforced stay-at-home orders)... I'm a big proponent of masks, wear em anytime you're around people you don't live with, have a few of them, wash them, wash your hands... as a country, all we've had to do was the bare minimum to get by here and we f***ing failed miserably every step of the way.

People have had enough? What a joke. I'm done feeling bad for people who haven't learned a damn thing in 8 months now but have somehow "had enough".

Last edited:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I'll be getting tested tomorrow. I've has symptoms since Thursday night. Today was the earliest I could get an appointment but I'm not sick enough to miss the Bills game. :laugh:
It started with chills and shakes, shortness of breath, and fever. That resolved by the next day except for the fever. There's a lot of fatigue and my balance is a little off.
I have a fingertip pulse oximeter. It's a little device you clip on your finger to measure blood oxygen saturation. If it drops below 95% you need to get medical attention. You can pick one up for under $20. It's a good device to have because a declining oxygen level will creep up on you. You can easily wait until it's too late. You don't have to guess based on how crappy you fell.
I started taking low dose aspirin at the onset of symptoms and have been on Vit D.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
People are done cooperating. At this point, its a way of life. Cuomo going back to lockdowns will result in large riots. People have had enough.
the people in my circles, nurses teachers and lawyers for the most part, 100% in favor of increasing measures to combat the virus

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I'll be getting tested tomorrow. I've has symptoms since Thursday night. Today was the earliest I could get an appointment but I'm not sick enough to miss the Bills game. :laugh:
It started with chills and shakes, shortness of breath, and fever. That resolved by the next day except for the fever. There's a lot of fatigue and my balance is a little off.
I have a fingertip pulse oximeter. It's a little device you clip on your finger to measure blood oxygen saturation. If it drops below 95% you need to get medical attention. You can pick one up for under $20. It's a good device to have because a declining oxygen level will creep up on you. You can easily wait until it's too late. You don't have to guess based on how crappy you fell.
I started taking low dose aspirin at the onset of symptoms and have been on Vit D.
get well, wishing you the best, you’re a friend to all here

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Man, this election is historic, but it's crazy seeing people mass gather celebrating while this virus is ravaging communities.

Edit: good to see strong mask usage, tho.
Despite the strong mask usage I find these celebrations to be a severe lapse in judgement. I mean, I get it that people are feeling joy and relief, but this could turn out tragic.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Wishing you well, sir.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Man, this election is historic, but it's crazy seeing people mass gather celebrating while this virus is ravaging communities.

Edit: good to see strong mask usage, tho.
The danger is that people put too much faith in a thin cloth mask. It's a measure that helps reduce spread, not a magical device that will prevent you from getting sick.

I also wonder how much spread occurred with the record voting turnout. I realize that a lot of those votes were mail-in, but still. Between that, the celebrations, the holidays coming up, and the already skyrocketing case numbers, I fear things are going to get bad this winter.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

Good luck man. That's exactly how I started back in April. Hope you plow through this quick.

Since you're NF now I see, the WellCare on NFB by Target should be able to get you in same day for a test if your other thing falls through.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Despite the strong mask usage I find these celebrations to be a severe lapse in judgement. I mean, I get it that people are feeling joy and relief, but this could turn out tragic.

The one hope I have is that these celebrations are largely outside and most super spreader events to date have been indoors.

It's similar to how we didn't see huge spikes over the summer during outdoor protests.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Pfizer's early data suggests their vaccine is 90% effective. That'd be incredible. Just stay diligent a bit longer, people. There's a light at the end of the tunnel here.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Good luck man. That's exactly how I started back in April. Hope you plow through this quick.

Since you're NF now I see, the WellCare on NFB by Target should be able to get you in same day for a test if your other thing falls through.
I got it done this morning. The most difficult part was driving by Tim Hortons. I really wanted a donut. :laugh:

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

Context : The original source of the article is from The National Review, which on their website states :

Bayonets sharpened, loins girded, the charge sounded, for 65 years National Review has been at the forefront of the fight to push back the leftist ideologues and their schemes, aimed at aggrandizing government while crushing liberty and tradition. Our fight is your fight — critical for the sake of Justice and of our Nation, this last best hope of earth.

Cuomo's comments weren't that bad as the headline wants you to think, but I do agree weren't that great. He has legitimate concerns about the distribution plan that the current administration has proposed (as do I), but there was no need to get close to politicizing it and feeding propaganda machines.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Context : The original source of the article is from The National Review, which on their website states :

Cuomo's comments weren't that bad as the headline wants you to think, but I do agree weren't that great. He has legitimate concerns about the distribution plan that the current administration has proposed (as do I), but there was no need to get close to politicizing it and feeding propaganda machines.
Pfizer put together it's own distribution network. They rejected the Trump adminstration's choice. Cuomo is talking out his ass.
Pfizer to coordinate its own coronavirus vaccine distribution - Pharmaceutical Commerce
Pfizer readies 'Herculean effort' to distribute coronavirus vaccine

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Pfizer put together it's own distribution network. They rejected the Trump adminstration's choice. Cuomo is talking out his ass.
Pfizer to coordinate its own coronavirus vaccine distribution - Pharmaceutical Commerce
Pfizer readies 'Herculean effort' to distribute coronavirus vaccine
It truly sucks this has become so politicized. We're not supposed to trust the FDA now? C'mon. From what Ive gathered- the FDA is going to play it by the book. Theyre not cutting any corners for political reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad