OT - NO POLITICS Local COVID-19 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
It's basically the classic trolley problem on steroids. What Cuomo is doing is guaranteed to save downstate lives. It's also guaranteed to cause some (definitely smaller) loss of life upstate. Is that the correct move? Not sure. If all you care about is maximizing saving as many lives as possible, it's hard to argue with the move. If you think there are some higher fundamental goods, then it's a dicier decision. As both an upstater turned downstater as well as someone who has always said I'm against flipping the trolley switch... I don't know where I stand.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
In principle a good idea, but that's apparently not what's happening.

It sounds like the Navy is refusing huge swaths of patients, not just COVID patients - and even the small fraction that are potentially eligible have to go through a lot of red tape before they can be transferred.

Also, I have heard that there are actually less non-COVID patients in hospitals than would otherwise be typical. With the lockdown and everyone ordered to shelter in place and work from home, there are fewer traffic accidents, construction accidents, etc that would normally require hospitalization.

I know many of the leaders in the nyc effort. The navy hospital ships aren’t set up to treat the same way hospitals are. That was communicated prior to the ship docking. The city efforts have been less than effective.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I know many of the leaders in the nyc effort. The navy hospital ships aren’t set up to treat the same way hospitals are. That was communicated prior to the ship docking. The city efforts have been less than effective.
Say what you want about De Blasio's policy positions, you like them, you don't like them, etc. One thing that no one should argue with is that he is a very bad, ineffective manager of government. He's 100% in over his head.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
If there's one thing we've learned the past couple of months, it's that when one person on a ship gets infected, then nearly everyone else gets infected.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Don't forget the fact that elective surgeries aren't happening.

I wouldn't say it's something to be completely unconcerned about, but keep in mind that businesses and events being shut down, and other social distancing measures, have been in place for pretty much the same amount of time for the entire state. That slows the disease's spread and helps keep medical systems from being overwhelmed. In the case of New York City, the virus had spread quite widely before such measures went into place, so that's why we're seeing things the way they are there. It seems pretty clear, however, that it wasn't as widespread upstate at the same point in time, so I wouldn't think you're going to see the same sort of issues upstate, just because the response was more timely.

I would feel more at ease about my friends and family in WNY if the feds hadn't changed the wording on their stockpile description after Kushner's comments last night. It went from a reserve to be used in cases of a national emergency to something approaching his wording. :facepalm: Backfill so people don't die. That's my concern - people who are going to die because the logistical operation part of supply isn't running efficiently/effectively at a national level.

It's basically the classic trolley problem on steroids. What Cuomo is doing is guaranteed to save downstate lives. It's also guaranteed to cause some (definitely smaller) loss of life upstate. Is that the correct move? Not sure. If all you care about is maximizing saving as many lives as possible, it's hard to argue with the move. If you think there are some higher fundamental goods, then it's a dicier decision. As both an upstater turned downstater as well as someone who has always said I'm against flipping the trolley switch... I don't know where I stand.

Yeah, it's more of a future sense of dread. In the short-term, try to save as many people as possible.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Yeah I (along with much of my family) live upstate but I also have family and friends who live in the NYC area.

NYC clearly needs the ventilators in the next few days. Upstate could need them in the coming days/weeks. So do you keep them upstate for the anticipated need and let people in NYC die now? Do you give them to NYC and pray that it doesn’t cause deaths upstate and/or that they’ll be returned in time? (I don’t even know what the ventilator need is like upstate right now).

I really don’t know what the right answer is. It’s not a decision I’d want to make, that’s for sure. Both choices seem to suck.

The obvious solution is getting more ventilators, but I’m not sure where they come from. Cuomo’s been trying for weeks now with little luck.

He says they will return the ventilators to upstate NY or provide money to buy more. But if you can’t buy more (which has clearly been an issue), then what? You have to hope that ventilator production is going to start helping the supply at some point (hopefully soon!), or the federal govt. will step up to fill the need (if they have enough left in their stockpile?) but I’m not sure if/when those things will happen.

It’s a scary situation. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t worried about it.

Reactions: Husko

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I cant speak for every other city, but I think Rochester may be okay. We locked-down almost a week earlier than NYC, so we should be seeing our peak in the next couple of days. We arent overwhelmed so far. We'll also stay locked down until Cuomo eases regulations, which wont be for a while, so we should stay relatively safe and stable.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah I (along with much of my family) live upstate but I also have family and friends who live in the NYC area.

NYC clearly needs the ventilators in the next few days. Upstate could need them in the coming days/weeks. So do you keep them upstate for the anticipated need and let people in NYC die now? Do you give them to NYC and pray that it doesn’t cause deaths upstate and/or that they’ll be returned in time? (I don’t even know what the ventilator need is like upstate right now).

I really don’t know what the right answer is. It’s not a decision I’d want to make, that’s for sure. Both choices seem to suck.

The obvious solution is getting more ventilators, but I’m not sure where they come from. Cuomo’s been trying for weeks now with little luck.

He says they will return the ventilators to upstate NY or provide money to buy more. But if you can’t buy more (which has clearly been an issue), then what? You have to hope that ventilator production is going to start helping the supply at some point (hopefully soon!), or the federal govt. will step up to fill the need (if they have enough left in their stockpile?) but I’m not sure if/when those things will happen.

ArcGIS Dashboards

Who knows how many vents are in Monroe County, but as of yesterday afternoon, there were 25 COVID-19 cases in the ICUs here.

But, then you have all the people that are non-COVID cases that need them, as well.

And unfortunately, I don't know how easy or practical it is to move vents around. Especially if NYC will need them in a matter of days.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo

Ventilator production is about to skyrocket hopefully. We just quoted manufacturing some components for them in insane quantities and it's not work we usually do. It's not unheard of for us to get into medical, but also not typical. I imagine (hope) any decent manufacturing facility that's still open is doing the same.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
We'll see how those first person shooter skills translate into the real world when they're storming the beaches of mainland China in a couple of years. :naughty:
The PC players will be better off since they don't have aim assist like those filthy console peasants.

Reactions: joshjull

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
'Unacceptable': Poloncarz, local lawmakers push back on Cuomo ventilator mandate
At his regular briefing on the pandemic, Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz on Friday said he had spoken to the leaders at all the local hospitals and could not find any ventilators that are not in use. He said he had shared that information with the governor's staff.

"There's not going to be any movement of ventilators from Erie County," he said, adding: "There is not a single person who is going to have a ventilator taken away."

State officials did not provide details on how, where and when the order would be carried out.

I can see violence erupting if Cuomo pushed too hard. Is the National Guard going to shoot it out with local LE?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
'Unacceptable': Poloncarz, local lawmakers push back on Cuomo ventilator mandate
At his regular briefing on the pandemic, Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz on Friday said he had spoken to the leaders at all the local hospitals and could not find any ventilators that are not in use. He said he had shared that information with the governor's staff.

"There's not going to be any movement of ventilators from Erie County," he said, adding: "There is not a single person who is going to have a ventilator taken away."

State officials did not provide details on how, where and when the order would be carried out.

I can see violence erupting if Cuomo pushed too hard. Is the National Guard going to shoot it out with local LE?

Would give Cuomo another photo op, he could pose on the turret of an Abrams as it rolls down the interstate

Never happens. National Guardsmen will walk off if they got that type of order.

plus, trump can invoke the Warner act and countermand that type of order

Reactions: brian_griffin

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
I have never been more conscious of my allergies than when I am out on my bi-weekly supply runs. So much pollen and mold in the south.
good morning all. hope you folks are doing ok.
Richmond VA was just named worst city for allergies in a local news article. the pollen and crap in the area is unreal. with the mild winter we had, one of the local allergy medical groups called this spring the "perfect storm" for allergies. add this virus shit on top of it, and every scratchy throat or sneeze increases the concern.
stay safe, all.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The outbreak in Albany, GA showed back up in my YouTube stream this morning, albeit in a more partisan format -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad