OT: Living in Arizona (and aliens)

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
It's a quote attributed to a politician, put on air by a reputable cable channel. The sum total of credibility involved is many magnitudes greater than what you bring to the table with your armchair analysis.

You're not even using the correct model of flare that the military attributed the 'phenomenon' to. The flare explanation (as shallow as it is) was also only given for one event when there were many.

Arm chair analysis is 6 years in the USAF 2W0X1 career field. I know more about flares than you do.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Arm chair analysis is 6 years in the USAF 2W0X1 career field. I know more about flares than you do.

Apparently in your six years of service you never learned that the -19 designation is the IR variant of the flare that was actually dropped, the 2B/B.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Apparently in your six years of service you never learned that the -19 designation is the IR variant of the flare that was actually dropped, the 2B/B.

There is A/B version and B/B version of the LUU-19. One for IR and one is not. Did you know that? I did

Ok, so I broke out my CDC books from training and a LUU-2 flare actually is better fit. So, I guess thanks for making me double check because now its better facts. :)

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
There is A/B version and B/B version of the LUU-19. One for IR and one is not. Did you know that? I did

Now you're just lying through your teeth. :laugh: Just admit you goofed on the IR part.

edit: see above :cheers:

I don't dispute some flares were dropped that night. But they only explain one small event.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Now you're just lying through your teeth. :laugh: Just admit you goofed on the IR part.

edit: see above :cheers:

I don't dispute some flares were dropped that night. But they only explain one small event.

Yea, I did goof. Its a LUU-2 flare. And it does have a the LUU- 19 for IR. Like I said thanks for helping. LUU-2 is the same as the LUU-19 just visable. Makes more sense that ot was those flares dropped.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
9cef162d_history-channel-alien-guy-meme-generator-aliens-98f63b.jpeg

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Aliens that can cross the cosmos, but forget to turn off the lights on their ship. Murphy's law travels across the galaxies.

It's even better when those alien ships can dodge random stellar debris for light years at a swing but somehow collide with that hard to see power line in the backwoods.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Hmm, I don't care either way, but I'll play along.

You do realize that many scientists believe that there is a 100% chance of life outside of earth, right? Have you ever just vaugely studied how vast space is, or how little we know about it?

How about the astronauts and military pilots that swear they have seen things that defy physics as we know it? People are always so close minded to new profound things, but so many are willing to happily believe in an invisible man that created everything without being created himself.

Again, I don't care either way. It was definitely quite an event as it is still spoken of today and is known worldwide. However, there is far more proof that proves it wasn't simply flares than there is proof it wasn't a "UFO". Just sayin'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
Aliens that can cross the cosmos, but forget to turn off the lights on their ship. Murphy's law travels across the galaxies.

They're like ET snowbirds. Forgot the turn signals were still on after they turned into Phoenix. Then Mrs. ET slapped her husband in the gills and said "Norbit you dummy, the turn signals are still on."

And Norbit drooled down his shirt and said, "oh, nooooooooooooooooooo" and left it to her to dim the lights with her flipper valve that sticks out of her face like a spatula.

I know because they bought here and live down the block, in disguise as Aaron Sorkin haters with loose skin and the wife has a huge proboscis that some say looks like a....spatula. Norbit and Gemma Eggstralian. They tell people their from Australia as if that explains their funny accents.

They are not into hockey, but they love the WNBA and broadway musicals, and somewhat confusingly, that moonshiners show on the Discovery channel.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Well I'll jump in with my 2 cents. The summer before Phoenix saw the lights, Prescott had its own viewing. For 3 consecutive weeks, every Sunday around 8-9pm we would see these orange globes slowly cross the sky. My neighborhood was in Prescott Valley and it was near Bradshaw Mt High School. I even called a few of my friends to talk about what we were seeing. The orange globes didn't make a noise and took about 20 minutes to go from as far as I could see to my right to as far as I can see to my left. This was before cell phone cameras and when I finally got a buddy of mine to come over with a decent camera, of course nothing happened.

It was a cool little story. And then we turned on the news one day and saw them in Phoenix.

I saw something similar in Tucson a few years before. Those have been crazy events but the only ones I have ever seen and went hmm.....

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
They're like ET snowbirds. Forgot the turn signals were still on after they turned into Phoenix. Then Mrs. ET slapped her husband in the gills and said "Norbit you dummy, the turn signals are still on."

And Norbit drooled down his shirt and said, "oh, nooooooooooooooooooo" and left it to her to dim the lights with her flipper valve that sticks out of her face like a spatula.

I know because they bought here and live down the block, in disguise as Aaron Sorkin haters with loose skin and the wife has a huge proboscis that some say looks like a....spatula. Norbit and Gemma Eggstralian. They tell people their from Australia as if that explains their funny accents.

They are not into hockey, but they love the WNBA and broadway musicals, and somewhat confusingly, that moonshiners show on the Discovery channel.

Killion?

zz

Nov 1, 2006
AZ = beautiful winter hikes, blue skies, fairly cheap real estate, NHL hockey, convenient parking, a handful of great restaurants, and decent traffic considering the size of the town.

So yeah, summers are hot and there aren't a lot of things to do (even for a family), but overall it's not a bad place to be. If only it were within a 6 hour flight from Europe it would be perfect. Flight options to go visit family are pretty sucky. And that 9 hour jetlag is just brutal.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
AZ = beautiful winter hikes, blue skies, fairly cheap real estate, NHL hockey, convenient parking, a handful of great restaurants, and decent traffic considering the size of the town.

So yeah, summers are hot and there aren't a lot of things to do (even for a family), but overall it's not a bad place to be. If only it were within a 6 hour flight from Europe it would be perfect. Flight options to go visit family are pretty sucky. And that 9 hour jetlag is just brutal.

Not a lot of things for the family to do??? Please elaborate. I live in flagstaff and there is plenty for us to do here.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Every state has homes that are cheap and so expensive that only the rich can afford. The more desired parts of any state to live have homes that are overpriced. For example, for how much it costs to buy a home in North Scottsdale, you might as well buy a home in the more desired parts of California to live in. Before the housing bubble popped, getting a home just about anywhere in Arizona was just as expensive as getting a home in many areas of California today.

Speaking of which, I remembered looking at the home prices in the Las Vegas Area and noticed lot of homes now going for $100,000-$200,000 were well over $500,000(sometimes over $600,000) before the bubble popped. So the truth is the homes in such states like Arizona, Nevada, Texas, etc are only on the cheap as long as it's a buyers market.

Last edited:

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
Buckeye was know as east LA due to the fact you could sell your house there, buy one in AZ for 1/2 the price and get double the sq footage. Many ppl kept their jobs in CA and lived in AZ.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Buckeye was know as east LA due to the fact you could sell your house there, buy one in AZ for 1/2 the price and get double the sq footage. Many ppl kept their jobs in CA and lived in AZ.
I'm noticing that more now as well where people work somewhere in Southern California but still own home in either Arizona or Nevada. Strange but it makes sense seeing that both Arizona and Nevada have the cheaper cost of living but California has more of the high paying jobs with more job security.

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale
I'm noticing that more now as well where people work somewhere in Southern California but still own home in either Arizona or Nevada. Strange but it makes sense seeing that both Arizona and Nevada have the cheaper cost of living but California has more of the high paying jobs with more job security.

It's kind of the SW version of living in NJ and commuting to Manhattan. NY pay and NJ house prices. Better combination.

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale
I miss Arizona. Grew up in Goodyear.

What I really miss is the different cultures. Here in Utah 90% of society is Mormon.

Quick question for you old-timers (or not so old timers):
Were any of you around during the Phoenix Lights phenomenon? Anyone see them? Aliens and the idea of them really fascinate me. I was too young to remember seeing them or caring I think.

I saw them, followed them for over 30 minutes ( I lived around 43rd Ave and Bell at the time), they were not flares. The space between them blacked out stars. there were 5 to 7 lights in a 'V" pattern. Even Sky Harbor detected them I just found out.

I don't know if it was alien or whatever but it was HUGE, silent and covered the valley over a couple of hour period. I saw it when I was with my ex-wife. It is the only thing we can agree on that happened in our marriage so I know it was real. All kidding aside, flares don't act like that. I know what I saw.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
I saw them, followed them for over 30 minutes ( I lived around 43rd Ave and Bell at the time), they were not flares. The space between them blacked out stars. there were 5 to 7 lights in a 'V" pattern. Even Sky Harbor detected them I just found out.

I don't know if it was alien or whatever but it was HUGE, silent and covered the valley over a couple of hour period. I saw it when I was with my ex-wife. It is the only thing we can agree on that happened in our marriage so I know it was real. All kidding aside, flares don't act like that. I know what I saw.

Did they look like this?

o-GRANDBLANCMICHUFO2-570.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad