News Article: Live Dubas presser

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Yep. And that fits in line with the recent media rumors. He's not looking at a 4C or replacement level player, that's for sure

cap constraints will restrict "how big" dubas can go unless he is willing to move one of Nylander or Marner OR from D-core Muzzin/Rielly

the "big" trade will have to be MONEY IN = MONEY OUT

no way around it

P.S. Trading kerfoot's 3.5 AAV will not allow anything "big" IMO

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Agree to an extent that having a chance to get to the conference finals is much higher this year but not sure how much future should be mortgaged. sometimes stacked rosters exit in the 1st round too....

Yes, Dubas has to be diplomatic and play all sides so that he can't be pinned down regardless of the outcome at the deadline. My assumption is he also has to provide posture for any potential GMs who are gauging how much they can squeeze from Dubas in a trade.

As far as I am concerned, if you are at the top of the Cap year in and out, you should be expected to make the playoffs each year and/or be competitive. It may not always work out that way, but that should be the expectation.

Now should be the year that Leafs, as Bruce Lee once said: "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless". It should be assumed that every team in the division improves. If the Leafs want to get the most out of their young core, now is the perfect time to support them.

I don't care if it is a forward, D man or goalie. If they can improve their team and competitive brand of hockey on the ice (in a Hyman, Simmonds mold), they should do so. Teams need to win championships and not be stuck in the "middle of the pack playoff team" valley. Read comments from fans and observers, they expect this team to fall on their faces come playoffs. They expect them leave with a whimper. They expect these players to fold.

How many hardcore fans on this forum, overtly or secretly think the same? Leafs management is smart enough to understand this. I liked his offseason, especially under the constraints. I hope for a comparable deadline.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Interesting that Lily now considered 1st round pick tier.
My preference in order would be this years 1st, Lily, Amirov, Robertson, Sandin
What that shows is the growth Lilly has shown the last year or so, and people being down on him making no sense.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Man that was a quick “yes” answer to trading a top prospect.

A very positive response also IMO. I've watched enough sports to see countless gems become busts, or, simply help a now dissolved team win three more games than without them (consider how many players we have under contract for only this year). Rather than getting the star, rental or not; that puts them over the top for that one year or two.

Reactions: Twine Tickler

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Interesting that Lily now considered 1st round pick tier.
My preference in order would be this years 1st, Lily, Amirov, Robertson, Sandin

I am assuming this is most to least tradeable. Amirov should probably be the most tradeable on our list TBH. He's our #4 prospect and a complete unknown in terms of how he will translate to North America. Even if he does, I don't think he is an elite piece or someone who can be as effective as a Robertson. Liljegren, given the need for RD on our team both right now and going forward, should probably be on the same level as Sandin, who is the future of our LD. While Niemela and Villeneuve were great additions to our RD pool, both are still 4 years away from the NHL if things go well and other than Hollowell, who is not looking like an NHL caliber talent, we don't have anything really close to taking over a RD spot in our system. Liljegren has top pairing upside, or at least high end 2nd pairing upside, and is our most NHL ready prospect right now I would say (it is either him or Robertson, but mostly because it is easier to translate as a winger than as a defenseman).

However, if Dubas is only in the market for rentals more than hockey deals (which I said would be the idea anyways since expansion is the consideration), then those kinds of assets should not even be on the table to begin with. If we are getting those kinds of guys, then it has to be Andersen/Kerfoot/Engvall/Vesey, Kokkonen/SDA/Hallander, or our 2nd this year at the very most.

CertifiedGoat

Sep 24, 2020
Hopefully he can get something worked out soon.

I guess it's fingers crossed that Campbell can be a number one goalie.

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
I don’t want to say “strong armed”.... but I think you have seen a lot of Canadian teams in tough as buyers due to the current cross-boarder COVID rules.

Canadian teams in this current landscape essentially have a tighter time frame and less leverage for acquisitions.

Those extra 7 days could mean quite a bit for a Canadian team in a tight playoff race, thus you maybe have seen a take it or leave it mentality to this point on the sellers end.

Kudos to Dubas for not pulling the trigger on a panic move.

But with the NHL working diligently on trying to adjust these restrictions, you can see why some Canadian teams are a bit hesitant to pay that premium.

I do think he gets something done here with Anaheim, Nashville or Detroit.

Anaheim being the front runner IMO.

Names I like, as some being previously mainstream mentioned, and some not;

Jankrok
Granlund

Rakell
Deslauriers
Hakanpaa

Bobby Ryan
Namestnikov
Wouldn’t oppose to a Dylan Gambrell if they wanted to shore up the C depth as well. Only makes league minimum too iirc.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Any trade with a Canadian team contender doing a trade with a American team non contender or playoff team/ non playoff team is so different in terms of how much diffenence it makes in your players quarantines.
Anything big takes that player off your team for 2 weeks. Trade Kerfoot and he’s gone two weeks without replacement. Wow this deadline is as nutty as everything else

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Goodbye, Liljegren.

If they trade Liljegren, it better be for a damn good player. Same for Sandin. His exemption at the expansion draft is worth a lot for a team likely losing a good player and entering a tough situation cap space wise.

I think Amirov and the 1st round pick are at the top of the "in play" list. I would say Liljegren is up there though with Robertson and Sandin near the bottom. Gotta give to get, right?

Reactions: aingefan

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Im waiting for a completely out of the blue name to drop tonight by Leafs PR with little to no warning.

Something like
"Breaking:
Leafs acquire
or Terry and Jones
or Crouse and Larsoon

Something combo of young pwf and a defensive C

Reactions: Eric bungay

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I disagree. This is the year to go for it. You have to give up something to obtain something. The reason I say this is multi-faceted.

We simply won't have this situation again in terms of playoff format, and, the rentals were received for cheap. We couldn't have expected these short term deals, especially at the cap hit.

Go for it now and deal with the fallout later. A team always has to be prudent, but, if it requires an extra prospect or a first round pick this year or next to get the stud(s) you need. IMO this team should do so. The Leafs don't have the flexibility to stack their team anyways due to the Cap, but they can improve it. Possibly even significantly.

There are no guarantees in pro sports. When your best players are doing well, maturing and hungry, you must feed them and put the best warriors/gamers together to take on any opponent.

Specifically re: the playoff format. While important, I do think there is a bit too much of a "Once we are back in the Atlantic, it is going to be the same old" which is normal for the fans to think, but I don't think management will.

I also think the Atlantic could swing in our favour in the next few years.

Tampa will be amazing and amazing for a while. No denying that.

Boston is interesting. I think they go as long as Bergeron, Marchand and Rask last. If that is a lot of years, well that is trouble. If not, I see them taking a step back and retooling.

Florida is weird. I think they are good, but not this good. They will be a thorn in our side, but not a juggernaut.

Montreal is interesting. Not sure they can do it with this core. Future core looks good, but to me I think they would have been better off bottoming out a couple times. They will always be in the mix, but its really dependent on how good Suzuki, KK, Caufield and Romanov turn out.

Ottawa looks like they could be amazing eventually, but how soon?

Detroit has nice pieces, but like Montreal, not sure if they will be good enough to form a juggernaut.

Buffalo is an absolute circus.

Lots of ifs, but I don't see why the division in the next few years needs to be seen as a deterrent or insurmountable challenge.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
I really hope my top prospect it’s not sandin . I’m OK with moving literally anyone else in the prospect category and even our first rounder. Sandin is there a best drafted defenceman since Riley nine years ago, really want to see what Sandin has in the tank . I feel like if we move him it’s gonna come back to regret us.

Dubas also talked about Long term success over a one year cup run. I hope he meant A top prospect not the top prospect

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
1. Ah that magic word "TANDEM" was music to my ears. I hope they follow through on that.

2. Nice to hear dubas so clearcut on getting a trade done. Sounds like he has trades he would have done yesterday, and is just waiting on the other teams to decide its time.

3. Obviously he's right that rentals make more sense this year. Hall, Palmieri, Foligno make the most sense imo.

4. While I like hearing him so willing to give up a good prospect, at the same time I can't actually see him giving up one of our 4 "A" prospects for a pure rental.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I really hope my top prospect it’s not sandin . I’m OK with moving literally anyone else in the prospect category and even our first rounder. Sandin is there a best drafted defenceman since Riley nine years ago, really want to see what Sandin has in the tank . I feel like if we move him it’s gonna come back to regret us.

Dubas also talked about Long term success over a one year cup run. I hope he meant A top prospect not the top prospect
Sandin hasn't proven to be an NHL d man yet. Lets relax.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I don’t want to say “strong armed”.... but I think you have seen a lot of Canadian teams in tough as buyers due to the current cross-boarder COVID rules.

Canadian teams in this current landscape essentially have a tighter time frame and less leverage for acquisitions.

Those extra 7 days could mean quite a bit for a Canadian team in a tight playoff race, thus you maybe have seen a take it or leave it mentality to this point on the sellers end.

Kudos to Dubas for not pulling the trigger on a panic move.

But with the NHL working diligently on trying to adjust these restrictions, you can see why some Canadian teams are a bit hesitant to pay that premium.

I do think he gets something done here with Anaheim, Nashville or Detroit.

Anaheim being the front runner IMO.

Names I like, as some being previously mainstream mentioned, and some not;

Jankrok
Granlund

Rakell
Deslauriers
Hakanpaa

Bobby Ryan
Namestnikov

I would love a trade that brings back both DET players.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
1. Ah that magic word "TANDEM" was music to my ears. I hope they follow through on that.

2. Nice to hear dubas so clearcut on getting a trade done. Sounds like he has trades he would have done yesterday, and is just waiting on the other teams to decide its time.

3. Obviously he's right that rentals make more sense this year. Hall, Palmieri, Foligno make the most sense imo.

4. While I like hearing him so willing to give up a good prospect, at the same time I can't actually see him giving up one of our 4 "A" prospects for a pure rental.

Yeah I'd be surprised to see him give up a top prospect for a rental. I could see him doing it if the other team retains 50% and the prospect was the only "top" asset given.

So say, Palmieri or Hall at 50% for Liljegren straight up... maybe?

Reactions: zeke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad