News Article: Live Dubas presser

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He essentially said he would like to make a trade ASAP, and quickly answered to yes if he would move a top prospect in the right deal.

I wouldn't book trade deadline off of work(or school) because our move will be done before then, but I don't understand what presser you listened too/watched based off your comment.

That also fits in line with his past behavior. The Muzzin and Kap trades both happened before the rest of the market began to get going

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That's fine, but why even have a presser at all? What is the point? From the recaps here, seems like it was a giant waste of time for all.

That's probably the case for 90% of sports press conference a though.

At the very least for the Leafs this conference archives two things: 1) reminds fans after a recent slump that management is being active (so a bit of PR spin) and 2) gets the Leafs and trade talk at the top of the sports news cycle potentially putting pressure on trade partners to get going

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The problem is that these pressers have very little value for the media or the fans.

Dubas and most GMs rarely ever talk in season other than these press conferences. So while they typically don't say much of substance, it's nice to hear some form of answer to basic questions from the horses mouth as opposed to "insiders".

Todays Press Conference had plenty of substance and answers though. Not sure what little value you took out of that.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
I don’t want to say “strong armed”.... but I think you have seen a lot of Canadian teams in tough as buyers due to the current cross-boarder COVID rules.

Canadian teams in this current landscape essentially have a tighter time frame and less leverage for acquisitions.

Those extra 7 days could mean quite a bit for a Canadian team in a tight playoff race, thus you maybe have seen a take it or leave it mentality to this point on the sellers end.

Kudos to Dubas for not pulling the trigger on a panic move.

But with the NHL working diligently on trying to adjust these restrictions, you can see why some Canadian teams are a bit hesitant to pay that premium.

I do think he gets something done here with Anaheim, Nashville or Detroit.

Anaheim being the front runner IMO.

Names I like, as some being previously mainstream mentioned, and some not;

Jankrok
Granlund

Rakell
Deslauriers
Hakanpaa

Bobby Ryan
Namestnikov

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Josh - Athletic - strange year for prospect development, what have you done to help in these times.

Dubas mentioned that the teams our prospects in Europe, the teams have provided us with a great deal of feedback and video to the Leafs, when they don't really need to. The development staff

Would you consider trading a top prospect his year, to improve the team. VERY QUICKLY _ YES.
Sounded like table setting answer. Now i expect it

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The media is about to write a hundred articles about this. I would say they're probably happy with it.

And other GMs who are looking to make trades are about to be covered in Leafs talk when their assistants give them their morning news cycle briefings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad