Pre-Game Talk: Literally a year between games, PRACTICE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
How long until we hear Malkin is out with a shoulder strain from practicing his one-timer? Bennett looks close to returning, so that means someone else has to go out.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
How long until we hear Malkin is out with a shoulder strain from practicing his one-timer? Bennett looks close to returning, so that means someone else has to go out.

Penguin players are neither created nor destroyed, they are simply transferred from one IR slot to the next

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
We talkin' bout PRACTICE? For a WHOLE YEAR?

maxresdefault.jpg

EDIT: Dammit, tried to post the vid . . . :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI if someone else can do it.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I don't understand why Bennett wasn't thrown onto Crosby's line for practice. One person won't be ready for the game, one has a maintenance day, seems perfect. Bylsmagic! :yo:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Malkin working on his one-timer, eh?

Will it be upgraded from "wildly inept" to "Paul Martin on a good day" then?

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Malkin working on his one-timer, eh?

Will it be upgraded from "wildly inept" to "Paul Martin on a good day" then?

It was said as a joke, but I think it was more about Letang learning how to set him up. Malkin has always had a Stamkos-esque accuracy on his one-timer. I don't think he would have just forgotten it.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Forgotten? No. I'm sure he remembers it fondly.

But yeah... Letang is obviously not helping him much in that department. And I think that's being pretty generous to Letang.

I'm happy they are working a little extra on a known issue, though. Maybe Geno will even score a goal this month!

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Jeffrey and Engelland are the 2 guys that should sit once Bennett and Neal get back. If Adams or Glass are gettin banged up dress them(Jeff/Engo) for some games.

If JJ starts to fade some give him a night off, insert a player and try a new mix with Geno.

Without Neal:
Bennett-Malkin-Megna

With Neal:
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Neal-Malkin-Megna

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
No Kunitz again today

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins 26m
With no Kunitz, #Pens doing line rushes the same as yesterday: 22-87-9, 36-71-59, 15-16-27, 19-17-46-5. D: 44-7, 2-58, 3-41.

Pens Inside Scoop @PensInsideScoop‏ 13m
Jokinen subbing for Kunitz on the #Pens' top PP unit with Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Martin. -MC

Pens Inside Scoop ‏@PensInsideScoop 13m
#Pens' second PP unit has Jeffrey, D'Agostini, Sutter, Niskanen and Maatta. -MC

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Kinda sounds like it. I can't see a way that he'd have two maintenance days in a row and not be at least a little dinged up.

Out month-to-month with a kickball-related lower body injury, perhaps?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Kickball on ice is dangerous. He probably tripped in the tunnel, or Maatta did his fellow rookie a solid and did something.

Wasn't there a game (Boston or around then) that he wasn't on the bench for awhile and "we" thought it was equipment related? Maybe then.

Dead - Crosby - Dupuis
Jokinen - Malkin - Megna
Glass - Sutter - Adams
Jeffrey - Vitale - Engelland
D'Agostini

Ah, ****, Glass could actually get onto the first line.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I really am questioning their conditioning. Anyone can have bad luck with injuries, and some like Crosby getting hit in the face with the puck and breaking his jaw is purely bad luck, but it has become a yearly thing for a team whose core has been pretty young.

Add to it the doctors blowing the diagnosis on Crosby's 'concussion' for so long and we seem to have some real issues with the conditioning coaches and medical staff.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yeah, there does seem to be something weird going on. Safer team activities might also help.

This season:
Scuderi, broken ankle, accident/fluke.
Vokoun, blood clots, out of their control.
Kobasew, 1 or 2 hits, not a long term member of the team. Not young.
D'Agostini, preseason, can't really blame extensive time on this team.
Neal, wiffle ball, probably a muscle tear.
Bennett, IDK, but he's young.
Letang, fitness fanatic, tripped on bad ice or something. Possible over training?
I think that's everyone from this season.

2 of those are out of their control. Important players.
2 of them are new to the team and I think it was pretty obvious when Kobasew got injured. D'Agostini could be a question mark, but I honestly can't remember him. They're not important players, though.
Then there's the other 3, young and important players; 2 of those happened at a team bonding activity, IIRC. Sometimes the best way to avoid injury is to not put the professional athlete in a position to get hurt.

It does seem to be bad luck and some stupid team activities. Didn't they clean house with the medical staff after the Crosby cluster****?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It does seem to be bad luck and some stupid team activities. Didn't they clean house with the medical staff after the Crosby cluster****?

Yes.

I can't help but agree that something just seems... off. I don't know how much bad luck one team can really have. But on the other hand... how out of line are the Penguins injuries compared to other teams?

It just seem like they lose a lot of important players for long stretches, more than anything else. If it were up to me... I'd wrap these guys in foam and bubble wrap, though. And certainly not allow them anywhere near a giant-rock-up-a-hill contest.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
I really am questioning their conditioning. Anyone can have bad luck with injuries, and some like Crosby getting hit in the face with the puck and breaking his jaw is purely bad luck, but it has become a yearly thing for a team whose core has been pretty young.

Add to it the doctors blowing the diagnosis on Crosby's 'concussion' for so long and we seem to have some real issues with the conditioning coaches and medical staff.

That's why I'm really not a fan of teams auctioning off their medical care to the highest bidder. It could make doctors a little reluctant to get an outside second opinion when your hospital paid to be the team's "exclusive medical provider".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad