List your Team's Bad Contracts

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Price eliminated all by himself Pitts last playoffs (so as of today, it's ok), and we don't know yet for Josh Anderson.

But those two has the potential of having some of the worst contract in the league. In Price's case, it could become the single worst contract in the league, if he were to drop to Bob's level of play.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
why don't you name some of their bad contracts then?
$11M for another 5 years for a guy whos clearly on the decline

$11.6M over only 5 years for a guy who comparable players signed for less/longer

$10.89M for once again a player whos comparbles signed for less/longer and his own fans are turning on him

This is why the Leafs have some of the worst depth in the league.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

$11.6M over only 5 years for a guy who comparable players signed for less/longer

$10.89M for once again a player whos comparbles signed for less/longer and his own fans are turning on him

none of those are bad contracts. There's one that could become bad, and two that should have been better

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
A bad contract is Seabrook, Eriksson, Alzner, and Jack Johnson when he was in Pittsburgh. These players do absolutely nothing and get paid alot of coin. And they directly contributed to bad things happening on the ice for their teams.

It's not as if Tavares & Marner are useless. They provide offense. They aren't a direct liability out there. Are they overpaid? Probably. But they aren't bad deals.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

1) I'd take all of those contracts over Frans Nielsen's
2) TOR's depth is better than DET's

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
- Minnesota Wild

- Mats Zuccarello
- 6 million
- 4 years
- 25 million

- Victor Rask
- 4 million
- 2 year
- 8 million

That's the only two for Minnesota.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Jets' dodgy contracts:
  • Mathieu Perreault - 4.125 million x 1 year (4th line or AHL-level player now who is always injured)
  • Blake Wheeler - 8.250 million x 4 years (he's 34 and still produces like a top line player but it could get ugly)
  • Bryan Little - 5.291 million x 4 years (likely retired due to injury history)
We have a lot of meh sprinkled throughout the lineup, but at least our core is locked up long-term for cheap (Scheifele, Connor, Ehlers, Morrissey, Hellebuyck)

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
1) I'd take all of those contracts over Frans Nielsen's
2) TOR's depth is better than DET's
1. What exactly does that have to do with them being bad contracts? Id take Nielsen over Seabrook... Does that mean Nielsen's is good?

2. SOME OF the worst depth in the league. Congrats on them being deeper than the worst team in the league I guess?

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
The Darnell Nurse contract sucks too. Oilers paid a premium on a two year deal that takes him right to UFA.
I wouldn't say it was a premium. Nurse should make more than 5.6 as he's one of the most effective 5v5 producers in the league, and he's also pretty good in his own end (despite what certain Oilers fans think). 5.6 x 2 is fair value but yes he will be getting a big raise when he's due.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
A bad contract is Seabrook, Eriksson, Alzner, and Jack Johnson when he was in Pittsburgh. These players do absolutely nothing and get paid alot of coin.

It's not as if Tavares & Marner are useless. They provide offense. They aren't a direct liability out there. Are they overpaid? Probably. But they aren't bad deals.

This.

Reactions: Byron Bitz

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Maybe Simmonds if he's washed. But only one year @ 1.5 AAV.

Marner and Tavares make a bit too much, but they're still worth ~9+ each.

There's no contract the Leafs have to pay to get rid of.

Reactions: Devonator

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I have no idea what you mean by "hiding", but 1.5m for 1 year for Simmonds is not a "bad contract". If that's the worst thing you can point to, well that really just proves my point.

You know very well what I mean.

How is $1.5M with a full NTC not a bad contract for a player who is exclusively a fourth liner? You can find those guys for league minimum.

You know he's not the only bad contract either.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014

This year, if Muzzin can put his shit together and return to an "Almost Petry" caliber, the Leafs would be a really dangerous team ^^'

Still think Marner is overpaid tho, and I think that the Habs will steam roll them 8)

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

:laugh: None of these contracts are bad or unmovable.

This isn't Abdelkader.

A bad contract is Seabrook, Eriksson, Alzner, and Jack Johnson when he was in Pittsburgh. These players do absolutely nothing and get paid alot of coin.

Look, someone whose rational. Take a picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You know very well what I mean.
How is $1.5M with a full NTC not a bad contract for a player who is exclusively a fourth liner? You can find those guys for league minimum.
You know he's not the only bad contract either.
1. Actually I don't. I never went anywhere.
2. It's a 1-year deal at a low cap hit for a bottom-six player who is finally healthy, fits what the Leafs were looking for, has a history of playing up the line-up when healthy, and literally took less money to go to the Leafs. It's 1 year, there was enough depth signed to protect against a worst-case scenario, and there is considerable potential upside. You haven't substantiated your claims, and your history of contract valuation is not reliable. Even according to the very site you constantly use (evolving hockey), a 1 year deal should have cost 1.7m.
3. I know that there are no bad contracts on the Leafs. The fact that you pointed to a 1.5m x 1 year contract as your claim for "bad contract" speaks volumes.
4. I'm not sure you should be throwing stones in glass houses.

Reactions: Mitchy

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Overpaid:

Tyler Johnson 5m x 4 NTC
Yanni Gourde 5.16m x 5 NTC

Fine right now but may be bad in the future:

Ryan McDonagh 6.75m x 6 NTC
Andrei Vasilevskiy 9.5m x 8 NMC

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
1. Actually I don't. I never went anywhere.
2. It's a 1-year deal at a low cap hit for a bottom-six player who is finally healthy, fits what the Leafs were looking for, has a history of playing up the line-up when healthy, and literally took less money to go to the Leafs. It's 1 year, there was enough depth signed to protect against a worst-case scenario, and there is considerable potential upside. You haven't substantiated your claims, and your history of contract valuation is not reliable. Even according to the very site you constantly use (evolving hockey), a 1 year deal should have cost 1.7m.
3. I know that there are no bad contracts on the Leafs. The fact that you pointed to a 1.5m x 1 year contract as your claim for "bad contract" speaks volumes.
4. I'm not sure you should be throwing stones in glass houses.

Funny.

Today, Simmonds is a "bottom-six player" who "has a history of playing up the line-up when healthy."

Just a month ago, he was "not a 3rd liner."

upload_2020-10-17_12-40-28.png

Nice Deke! :laugh:

(Speaking of throwing stones in glass houses, you're not in a position to make ad hominem attacks against anybody else telling them that their "history of contract valuation is not reliable" when you've made it abundantly clear that your history of player evaluation is "Leaf player good, non-Leaf player bad, I'm a victim and anybody who disagrees is persecuting me.")

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Jets' dodgy contracts:
  • Mathieu Perreault - 4.125 million x 1 year (4th line or AHL-level player now who is always injured)
  • Blake Wheeler - 8.250 million x 4 years (he's 34 and still produces like a top line player but it could get ugly)
  • Bryan Little - 5.291 million x 4 years (likely retired due to injury history)
We have a lot of meh sprinkled throughout the lineup, but at least our core is locked up long-term for cheap (Scheifele, Connor, Ehlers, Morrissey, Hellebuyck)

Little is really the only bad one currently and if he retires or LTIRs then we might be in the clear.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
1. What exactly does that have to do with them being bad contracts? Id take Nielsen over Seabrook... Does that mean Nielsen's is good?

2. SOME OF the worst depth in the league. Congrats on them being deeper than the worst team in the league I guess?
It has to do with calling out another team who has less "bad contracts" than your own just seems a little odd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad