List your Team's Bad Contracts

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Oilers lost in the play in to Chicago. There coach and GM have no confidence in Koskinen and tried desperately to replace both goalies this off season. With Klefblom out and the addition only of Barrie I’m confident it’s going to be a step back this year.
This has to do with bad contracts how? Lmao :skull:

Anyways, very energetic posts. I like the energy but holtby is bad and I would argue will end up being worse than Neal when all is said and done. He hasn’t shown much the last few seasons to instil any confidence in me.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
tenor.gif

Every team has at least one bad contract my guy.

Well that's not neccasarily true. The Leafs overpaid Marner considering he was an RFA but I'd hardly consider his deal a bad one for his production. Tavares is actually the closest. That said it's a false premise to insist every team must have a bad contract, teams are likely to but I don't see how that's a guarantee.

Just off the top of my head does Boston have one? I don't think so.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Colorado:

Some say we overpaid Burakovsky, but I think those people just enjoy being wrong.

JT Compher would not be half the whipping boy he is if he weren't making 3.5m for another three years, and Joonas Donskoi at 3.9m for three more years is not ideal either.

Also off the books in three years is Erik Johnson's 6m/y. I wonder if there's any benefit to letting these guys walk upon expiry. Didn't someone need a raise or something?

People aren’t really complaining about Burakovsky very much. His salary is at the bottom of the range many were expecting. And it’s only two years.

Compher is a whipping boy because he’s not a center but is forced to play there. Most understand this but it’s still frustrating and so people complain. Donskoi and Compher might be a little overpaid but it’s not crippling the way the thread title seems to be referring to.

Johnson is slowing down in that he’s getting injured more frequently. But as of now, he’s the only D on the roster who brings physicality in addition to moving the puck. But it’s wait and see after Cole torpedoed his leg 5 minutes into the Dallas series. Johnson is overpaid but also necessary (going by his most recent play).

Cole is the only “bad” contract and since it’s only one year and it’s cash impact is less than the AAV, it probably doesn’t rise to the level of the “bad” contracts that you’re seeing around the league.

Last edited:
Reactions: nightonthesun

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
What? The truth?
Matthews is 2 million overpaid, Tavares would clearly have been better off if he signed for 13 mill on the sharks so generally speaking saving 2 mill would be a great contract but that screwed the leafs so bad into potentially signing Pietrangelo, so it gets the bad contract by proxy stamp of approval. Marners contract and post season play is absolutely laughable so his contract should go without saying.
CBC4D50E-9502-4647-9F30-AFBBA86D02C0.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This has to do with bad contracts how? Lmao :skull:

Anyways, very energetic posts. I like the energy but holtby is bad and I would argue will end up being worse than Neal when all is said and done. He hasn’t shown much the last few seasons to instil any confidence in me.
Yes Holtby is so bad the Oilers tried to sign him.
Neal and Kassian are horrific contracts.
I think everyone other than you would agree with that.
You’ve derailed the thread enough.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
carter? brown? quick?

none of them are really horrible especially given the rebuild situation, like, they're handle-able and only a couple years long. maybe they're not max-value but they're not crippling and those players do provide good things for the rebuild

i'll revisit the doughty conversation in a few years once he has some better players with him on the blue line. that one has potential to be bad at the tail end

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
To me a bad contract is one that would be viewed as a cap dump and require additional assets to be included. Contracts like Eriksson, Neal and Lucic are examples.

On that basis, I think some teams like the Leafs and Boston don’t have any bad contracts. They may be somewhat overpaid but those contracts are still moveable for assets. I think the Tavares contract ends up being a bad contract for maybe the last couple of years but that’s a long ways down the road.

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Yes Holtby is so bad the Oilers tried to sign him.
Neal and Kassian are horrific contracts.
I think everyone other than you would agree with that.
You’ve derailed the thread enough.
You can keep trying but you’re wrong, we’re in agreement on those contracts being bad. We just also have to acknowledge that benning is saddled with Eriksson and Holtby which is imo worse.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well that's not neccasarily true. The Leafs overpaid Marner considering he was an RFA but I'd hardly consider his deal a bad one for his production. Tavares is actually the closest. That said it's a false premise to insist every team must have a bad contract, teams are likely to but I don't see how that's a guarantee.

Just off the top of my head does Boston have one? I don't think so.
Would agree with this. I wouldn't say any of the contracts in Toronto are truly bad per se; they've just put too many eggs in one basket.

The closest thing Columbus has to a bad contract now is Dubinsky's, and even that is an insured LTIR gimmie for only one more year so it's not all that horrible. Although Atkinson's could end up becoming one if he doesn't shape up quickly. And yes, Foligno is in fact worth what he's earning.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You can keep trying but you’re wrong, we’re in agreement on those contracts being bad. We just also have to acknowledge that benning is saddled with Eriksson and Holtby which is imo worse.
Wrong again. Holtby is not a bad contract just because Holland struck out on signing him. He’s a solid goalie to go with the future in Demko
I’d take Holtby at that price over a washed up Mike Smith even if he was free.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
JvR (no trade provisions, so it's not so bad)
Ghost (could be ok value if we actually used him properly)

Hayes will be there in 4-5 years I'm sure, but as of right now his overall contributions are worth the money.

Overall, we're doing alright and have been in much worse cap hell.

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Wrong again. Holtby is not a bad contract just because Holland struck out on signing him. He’s a solid goalie to go with the future in Demko
I’d take Holtby at that price over a washed up Mike Smith even if he was free.
You can try and frame the narrative any which way you want but Holtby was crap long before going on the market so it has nothing to do with holland. For 2 million you’ll get some fumbling of the pucks, bad goals etc but he ain’t no holtby the past couple seasons.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
- Team Name
-AAV
-Years Left
-Actual Dollars left on contract if its relevant

Just wanted to see what other team's situation is. From a Canuck's prespective it can be a comparion on how poorly they are actually sitting when it comes to bad contracts or if this is a league wide issue on almost every team.

Canucks:

Eirksson- 6mill AAV- 2more years- 5million left in real money
Sutter- 4.3 mil AAV- 1 more year
Ferland- 3.5 mil AAV - 3 more years ( very good chance this gets LTIR every year)
Baertschi- 3.3 mil AAV- 1 more year
Roussell- 3 mill AAV 2 more years
Beagle- 3mil AAV - 2more years

Benn- 2mil AAV- 1 more year

Spooner- 1 mil AAV 1 more year
Luongo cap recapture- 3 mil AAV - 2 more years

Lots of bad short term AAV on this list for Canucks but it all expires at the latest 2 years which will fall in line with when their window is trully open for being a cup contending team

There's a typo here...you meant 'Irksome'?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You can try and frame the narrative any which way you want but Holtby was crap long before going on the market so it has nothing to do with holland. I agree somewhat, for 2 million you’ll get some fumbling of the pucks, bad goals etc but he ain’t no holtby the past couple seasons.
Look I understand your team had a tough off season but it’s no need to be so sensitive on losing out on your offers to get Markstrom and Holtby.
Vancouver has become a goalie factory with Ian Clarke as goalie coach. I’m confident that once again their goal tending will be much better than the Oilers.

I’m glad to see that you’ve at least acknowledged that Kassian is not your only brutal contract. Nice try though hoping to sneak Neal by in your original post hoping no one would notice. :laugh:

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Look I understand your team had a tough off season but it’s no need to be so sensitive on losing out on your offers to get Markstrom and Holtby.
Vancouver has become a goalie factory with Ian Clarke as goalie coach. I’m confident that once again their goal tending will be much better than the Oilers.

I’m glad to see that you’ve at least acknowledged that Kassian is not your only brutal contract.
6EB1EDD6-6928-4981-AB0A-6704CFC08048.gif

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Doughty:
- He'll be 31 in Dec
- 7 years left
- $11m cap hit
- $76m in cash to come
- NMC until 2023
- 7 team trade list in 2023

Kopitar:
- He's 33
- 4 years left
- $10m cap hit
- $30m in cash to come
- 7 team trade list until 2024

Quick:
- He'll be 35 in Jan
- 3 years left
- $5.8m cap hit
- $9m in cash to come

The earliest any of this should be a problem is 22-23, if Petersen is good enough to get a decent raise. The Kings might have a lot of cap tied up in goaltending for a year. Until then, collect your checks boys. Collect your checks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad