List your Team's Bad Contracts

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
- Team Name
-AAV
-Years Left
-Actual Dollars left on contract if its relevant

Just wanted to see what other team's situation is. From a Canuck's prespective it can be a comparion on how poorly they are actually sitting when it comes to bad contracts or if this is a league wide issue on almost every team.

Canucks:

Eirksson- 6mill AAV- 2more years- 5million left in real money
Sutter- 4.3 mil AAV- 1 more year
Ferland- 3.5 mil AAV - 3 more years ( very good chance this gets LTIR every year)
Baertschi- 3.3 mil AAV- 1 more year
Roussell- 3 mill AAV 2 more years
Beagle- 3mil AAV - 2more years

Benn- 2mil AAV- 1 more year

Spooner- 1 mil AAV 1 more year
Luongo cap recapture- 3 mil AAV - 2 more years

Lots of bad short term AAV on this list for Canucks but it all expires at the latest 2 years which will fall in line with when their window is trully open for being a cup contending team

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Johnson I'd say is the only actual bad contract right now, but if you take NMC's, NTC's and our RFA's into occasion you could technically say a bunch of other guys as well. But term and AAV, Johnson is the one that sticks out.

Giving high money to a goalie still makes me cringe but I can't say Vasi after the Cup run he just had. McDonagh depends on how he ages but he could turn out to be a burden in the later years.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
Colorado:

Some say we overpaid Burakovsky, but I think those people just enjoy being wrong.

JT Compher would not be half the whipping boy he is if he weren't making 3.5m for another three years, and Joonas Donskoi at 3.9m for three more years is not ideal either.

Also off the books in three years is Erik Johnson's 6m/y. I wonder if there's any benefit to letting these guys walk upon expiry. Didn't someone need a raise or something?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Colorado:

Some say we overpaid Burakovsky, but I think those people just enjoy being wrong.

JT Compher would not be half the whipping boy he is if he weren't making 3.5m for another three years, and Joonas Donskoi at 3.9m for three more years is not ideal either.

Also off the books in three years is Erik Johnson's 6m/y. I wonder if there's any benefit to letting these guys walk upon expiry. Didn't someone need a raise or something?

All these words and not one of them was Cole.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Blues:

Justin Faulk - 7 years @ $6.5 million. Being paid $9 million in real money these next two years. Horrendous the moment it was signed and has somehow managed to look worse since.

Alex Steen - 1 year @ $5.75. Only one year left and it’s sounding more and more like he may be headed for LTIRement.

The Krug and Schenn deals will likely age about as well as milk but that’s TBD.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Leafs don't have any bad contracts.
tenor.gif

Every team has at least one bad contract my guy.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Pittsburgh Penguins

My opinion the pens board is all over what is bad or what is good.

Matheson - 4.88 x 6
Potential to become a #4 and may really help the pens with what the struggle with at times. His advanced stats show solid zone exits hope he can keep that up.
May not be a bad contract but we traded Hornqvist for him.

Petterson - 4.03 x 4
He regressed and still was given this contract.
If he steps it up a bit it won't be bad.

Some say Tanev is bad I disagree. Guy brings a lot and plays hard every game.

Jack Johnson got bought out so we no longer have that anchor. I don't hate the guy a 1 year 1 million player not a 3+ million #7 and hope he plays well enough on the Rangers to get another year.

The next year or 2 we will see what happens lots of opportunity for bad contracts.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Surprised you didn't write an essay on how barrie rejected a horrible offer from the Canucks to sign a great one with the Oilers.

The glaring one right now is Kassian, but I’m sure all will be good whenever the Oilers play the Flames next.
Surprised you didn’t right an essay on how Markstrom rejected a horrible offer from Edmonton to sign in Calgary and how Holtby and others rejected the Oilers too. Neal is also a horrific contract.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
The team that struck out on signing Markstrom, Holtby and any other competent goalie with a pulse this off season is certainly the model to follow. :laugh:
Competence? You forgot how horrible Holtby has been the past few seasons? A 38 year old smith led the Oilers to a better record than the Canucks during the regular season. After shipping out the main reason the canucks went far in the post season and replacing him with holtby, I have confidence that things will be the same again.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Competence? You forgot how horrible Holtby has been the past few seasons? A 38 year old smith led the Oilers to a better record than the Canucks during the regular season. After shipping out the main reason the canucks went far in the post season, I have confidence that things will be the same.
Oilers lost in the play in to Chicago. There coach and GM have no confidence in Koskinen and tried desperately to replace both goalies this off season. With Klefblom out and the addition only of Barrie I’m confident it’s going to be a step back this year.
Back on topic though, Neal and Kassian are both horrific contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad