List your Team's Bad Contracts

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Andreas Johnsson was literally just traded for a B-level prospect though... thats a negative return

No it's not, it's a B-level prospect. That is a positive return. A negative return would be like trading Johnsson with a 3rd for a 7th. Like, literally giving more value to get rid of them.

Besides, Johnsson is a B-level player.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
That isnt true at all lol

Johnsson is a far superior player to Joey Anderson, thus you lost value in the trade

You can go have a read about Johnsson in the Johnsson thread. But if a team gave up positive value to acquire a player at a contract, then it is a positive value contract. A bad contract is one you can't get rid of, not one that a team will give you something of value back for.

Besides, why are you refuting my statement about Leafs not having any bad contracts by bringing up a player that is not even on a Leafs. There is just so much wrong with where you've taken this that I don't know where to begin.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Nielsen contract is still a nasty burden in Detroit

Abdelkader buyout stings but the last 3 years are only hitting the cap for a hair over $1M, and we don't have him taking up roster space/ ice time anymore thankfully

Dekeyser in a vacuum is pretty bad because he is probably a #4/5 kinda guy league wide, but he is paid accordingly for the Wings because he has been asked to carry out big minutes and hard assignments

Helm, Filppula, and Staal all expiring this year so not a big deal but they all have way bigger cap hits than their play warrants

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
You can go have a read about Johnsson in the Johnsson thread. But if a team gave up positive value to acquire a player at a contract, then it is a positive value contract. A bad contract is one you can't get rid of, not one that a team will give you something of value back for.

Besides, why are you refuting my statement about Leafs not having any bad contracts by bringing up a player that is not even on a Leafs. There is just so much wrong with where you've taken this that I don't know where to begin.
Because what youre saying is outlandish

Losing a trade doesn't mean you gained value lmfao

Reactions: Luminiferous

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Because what youre saying is outlandish

Losing a trade doesn't mean you gained value lmfao
yawn

alright, well if johnsson was a bad contract, now he's NJ's bad contract :dunno: so i'm right: no bad contracts on the leafs.

nj has at least one: Johnsson

good on Dubas to get a return on a "bad contract", let alone a b-level prospect.

can't say i expected to have an insightful discussion here

Last edited:
Reactions: puckbunnyboy

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Every contract on the Leafs could be traded for a positive return (NMC excluded). Thus, no bad contracts on the Leafs.

You literally just cap dumped Johnsson in a no value trade due to the cap. That return you received was essentially worthless. Had Johnsson been on a good contract you likely keep him or would have received something of worth.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
You literally just cap dumped Johnsson in a no value trade due to the cap. That return you received was essentially worthless. Had Johnsson been on a good contract you likely keep him or would have received something of worth.

I disagree.

Johnsson in a vacuum has a good contract. 40 point winger making 3.4M in his prime is fair. Leafs just needed to redistribute salary and push some of it to the backend.

His trade value has more to do with COVID-19 than the contract itself. If the cap went up, he would have netted a good return.

This is the same for so many players.

For example, just cause Vegas traded Schmidt for a 3rd doesn't mean he has a bad contract. :laugh:

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
That is used to counter the tax disadvantage Toronto has

This is still my favorite deke of them all.

upload_2020-10-24_20-44-53.png

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO

under non-covid circumstances johnsson wouldnt be traded for only joey anderson.

otherwise you’re also saying nate schmidt is a bad contract that you can only get “negative value” for. it is an idiotic argument.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
You can keep trying but you’re wrong, we’re in agreement on those contracts being bad. We just also have to acknowledge that benning is saddled with Eriksson and Holtby which is imo worse.

I haven't read the rest of the thread so forgive me if this has been settled... coming from an outsider fan, last "few" seasons you say holtby was bad... how is a .911 1 season ago, and a cup the previous year considered bad? Sure he was crap in 19-20 but last few years is a bit of a stretch.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

yawn

alright, well if johnsson was a bad contract, now he's NJ's bad contract :dunno: so i'm right: no bad contracts on the leafs.

nj has at least one: Johnsson

good on Dubas to get a return on a "bad contract", let alone a b-level prospect.

can't say i expected to have an insightful discussion here

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
What is this take lmao.

1. Johnsson isn't on the leafs anymore so why are people still bringing him up?

2. I really don't view someone who can score 20 goals and 40+ points for under 4m at 1 more year is a bad contract...

By your logic, Nate Schmidt has a bad contract as well. So add that to the pile of terrible contracts for Vancouver.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Only Brendan Smith is left now! One month ago would have had Marc Staal and Hank on the books as well.
panarin's contract is no guarantee to end up sweet. kreider is already in the first year an overpayment and trouba is for sure no bargain.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
This is still my favorite deke of them all.

View attachment 374243

How much time in a day do you spend going through post histories looking for people to contradict themselves? I've seen you do it twice now in this thread alone. You're going back 2 years into a dude's history with almost 10,000 posts. That can't be quick.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Detroit only has that contract for 2 more years and are actually able to afford 11 - 12 depths players from next year until the future

You have 4 of the most overpaid players in the league
I don't have any because I'm not a Leafs fan....

paying top line players top money isn't the same as paying a replacement level player 4 or 5 million for "only 2 more years" (convenient that you left off the 4 years of carrying that overpaid player).

If DET hits on their picks they'll be paying top $ for their players too, and those won't be bad contracts either.

As Bill Veeck said: "It isn't the high price of stars that is expensive, it's the high price of mediocrity."

And in guys like Nielsen, injury prone DeKeyser, Ericsson, corpse of Zetterberg, Filpula that would be the high price of less than mediocre.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Andreas Johnsson was literally just traded for a B-level prospect though... thats a negative return. Kerfoot would return negative value as well
That’s just a disingenuous take on the trade. Does Nate Schmidt have negative value? Of course not. The pandemic cratered value across the league. That Johnsson was still able to be traded at all with 92% of the leagues cap taken up means the contract was not an albatross at all.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I don't have any because I'm not a Leafs fan....

paying top line players top money isn't the same as paying a replacement level player 4 or 5 million for "only 2 more years" (convenient that you left off the 4 years of carrying that overpaid player).

If DET hits on their picks they'll be paying top $ for their players too, and those won't be bad contracts either.

As Bill Veeck said: "It isn't the high price of stars that is expensive, it's the high price of mediocrity."

And in guys like Nielsen, injury prone DeKeyser, Ericsson, corpse of Zetterberg, Filpula that would be the high price of less than mediocre.

Convienent? It’s not even worth being brought up because the first few years are 2 mil and then 1 mil after that and clears up a roster spot on a team where we’re going to have a ton of cap space for the foreseeable future

Other than that, it leaves plenty of room for us to sign depth pieces at a reason price and only paying our top end talent to major term and aav

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad