Signing(s): Lions and Matt Stafford agree to 5 year deal worth 135 mil (27 mil per)

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
He doesn't have Stafford's tools. Even in Stafford's rookie year you could tell he had a special arm and ability to create.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Every stat is flawed but I do think your starting QB should be at least completing 62% of his passes.

in an ideal world - where he has time, good WR's who don't drop passes or tip balls, and a competent OC

18 of the 30 QB's last year had 62%+

24 of the 30 had 60%+

The guys in between were - Tyrod Taylor, Marcus Mariota, Carson Palmer, Case Keenum, Jameis Winston and Philip Rivers

The six who didn't have 60%+ were Trevor Siemian, Colin Kaepernick, Brock Osweiler, Blake Bortles, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Cam Newton

The 60-62% guys are for the most part legitimate starters....That under 60% group is bad though...Save Newton who just had a miserable year.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
rookie season...during Stafford's, you wouldn't have seen anything from him that woulda made you believe that he would have gotten to his current level [13 tds vs. 20 ints, just over 220 yard per game, 53% completion %]
Wentz has the tools...

For added context,
Carson Wentz was 24 in his rookie season, Stafford was entering his 4th NFL season at that point.
Carson Wentz took over a team that was 7-9, Stafford took over literally the worst team in NFL history in his rookie season.

And again, we're in a thread talking about signing Stafford and people are saying it's a bad idea. You are bringing up a 2nd overall pick (who really isn't very good) as evidence that QB's are easy to find.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Who said it's a bad idea? Most people are just saying "highest paid player in NFL history" and "Matthew Stafford" probably don't belong in the same sentence.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
If the Lions didn't make him the highest paid player, someone else would have.

If people have heartburn over Matt Stafford getting all kinds of money, those folks are really going to be disappointed when Kirk Cousins signs next summer.

Teams are just desperate for franchise signal callers. It really has no correlation to how good someone is - it's supply/demand.

I found an interesting article about a month ago detailing all of the QBs who had developed in NFL Europe. As much of a joke as that was, NFL Europe did a fairly good job of providing QB's on-the-job training that's so desperately needed on the pro level. If the league really wanted a great product again, they'd find a way to fund some type of developmental league again for QBs. Any league like that is a huge money pit though.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Who said it's a bad idea? Most people are just saying "highest paid player in NFL history" and "Matthew Stafford" probably don't belong in the same sentence.

So, people still just haven't learned that every average player becomes the highest paid at his position when he signs a new contract? And this has been happening for at least 15 years?

That's just how the NFL works

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The Lions had no choice. He's far and away the best QB the team has ever had, the only guy to have taken them somewhere that isn't named Barry Sanders.

QB's getting overpaid relative to their production isn't a new thing. Guys like Tannehill, Eli Manning, Alex Smith, Tyrod Taylor and Sam Bradford all make money that is probably too rich for what they give you. Even total stiffs like Brock can be set for life because he looked mildly competent.

The position is just too thin. Supply and demand. Average QB's will make otherworldly money because of the fact there simply isn't enough good ones to go around. Stafford is no exception to this, though for him you could probably make a case for him being in the top 10 QB's, at minimum borderline.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Cam Newton
Andrew Luck
Derek Carr
Marcus Mariota

All better than Stafford. Some of you are enamored with his raw stats. Look beyond that. A lot of good info out there on QB's and contextualizing stats. He's an average QB with an elite physical skillset.

You keep saying this yet are proving no evidence to back it up besides your own personal eye test.

Besides the one huge year where Luck threw 40 TDs (btw, Stafford had a 41 TD season also once upon a time), in what way has Luck been clearly superior? TD/INT ratio? Nope. Yards? Nope Completion percentage? Nope 4th quarter comebacks? Nope.
I'd say that it's too close to call either way.

What exactly has Mariota done in his career to deserve all this praise he gets? Good young QB but largely unproven, same as Winston, Dak, Wentz etc.

Cam had one incredible season. What exactly has he done besides that? He's had a remarkably mediocre career otherwise at least relative to the hype. He did lead his team to a Super Bowl so I can understand why people would pick him over Stafford because of that, but he has been otherwise inconsistent throughout his career.

I'm not saying that Stafford is elite, he belongs in the bottom portion of the top 10, but these names you're throwing out aren't clearly better than Stafford and if so, where's the proof?

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
^ lol, but I'll bite.

Cam: 1.98 TDs/game, 0.25 turnovers/game, 272.45 YPG, 6.12 ANY/A
Stafford: 1.84 TDs/game, 0.28 turnovers/game, 285.82 YPG, 6.10 ANY/A

I mean, unless you value raw yardage, I'd say that's better.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
This is price of stability for teams without elite QB

Its easier to stomach overpaying for a good QB then overpaying elsewhere on roster and trotting out garbage at QB

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
^ lol, but I'll bite.

Cam: 1.98 TDs/game, 0.25 turnovers/game, 272.45 YPG, 6.12 ANY/A
Stafford: 1.84 TDs/game, 0.28 turnovers/game, 285.82 YPG, 6.10 ANY/A

I mean, unless you value raw yardage, I'd say that's better.

Ok, so how is Cam clearly superior to Stafford? He has rarely been asked to carry his team. Carolina has relied on their running game and/or defense throughout Cam's career. Cam gets a lot of hype because he's flashy, fun to watch and had one elite MVP type season. Other than that, he has been a model of inconsistency in his career as a pure QB.
It's comparing apples and oranges anyway. They play vastly different styles and have different roles on their team.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Oh...so we ARE using goal line carries as the deciding factor as to what makes a good QB. Fun.

And again, it's fun that people want to be sure to include ALL career numbers while Stafford was leading a team that just went 0-16 as a 21 year old to these other guys that are busy playing in college til they are 22, 23, 24

Last edited:

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Ok, so how is Cam clearly superior to Stafford? He has rarely been asked to carry his team. Carolina has relied on their running game and/or defense throughout Cam's career. Cam gets a lot of hype because he's flashy, fun to watch and had one elite MVP type season. Other than that, he has been a model of inconsistency in his career as a pure QB.
It's comparing apples and oranges anyway. They play vastly different styles and have different roles on their team.

Who gives a **** about your arbitrary definition of what constitutes "carrying a team", as if that was some sort of measurable thing that anyone should take seriously. These types of conversations always involve moving goalposts. You wanted statistics, I gave you statistics. It's not my fault if you don't accept what they plainly lay out.

Oh...so we ARE using goal line carries as the deciding factor as to what makes a good QB. Fun.

Right, because those don't count and/or other QBs never get those, but since Cam does, they don't count.

Which is beside the fact that I was using several metrics, none of which you want to accept, that's why I mocked you earlier.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
This is price of stability for teams without elite QB

Its easier to stomach overpaying for a good QB then overpaying elsewhere on roster and trotting out garbage at QB

To get this topic back on track -- I get it. Stafford is a good QB and they paid to keep him happy. He's brought the Lions into relevance. But let's not try to paint him into more than what he is.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
And again, we're in a thread talking about signing Stafford and people are saying it's a bad idea.
guy is averaging 25 TDs and 14 INTs per season over the last 5 years [7.5 wins averaged over than time span]
That's greatness?
You are bringing up a 2nd overall pick (who really isn't very good) as evidence that QB's are easy to find.
any team coulda traded up for Wentz
any every team in the league coulda picked Dak
but some just want to be married to mediocrity + a huge cap hit forever...

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Right, because those don't count and/or other QBs never get those, but since Cam does, they don't count.

Which is beside the fact that I was using several metrics, none of which you want to accept, that's why I mocked you earlier.

They count for your team just as much as any other TD. Which is why Cam isn't a better player because he is given those opportunities to pad his stats.

I also like that you pick out a stat that highlights sack yardage. It's almost like offensive line is a big influence on that stat and the only reason Cam has had ONE good year is because he had an absolutely dominate offensive line. This stat and video can show you that

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
any team coulda traded up for Wentz
any every team in the league coulda picked Dak
but some just want to be married to mediocrity + a huge cap hit forever...

So, you are literally saying that teams chose not to pick guys they knew were going to be good because they wanted to???

(and you guys are really want to wait to Dak isn't surrounded by pro-bowlers and the best O-Line in the last 20 years before you decide on his talent level)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

There are very few players that belong in the same sentence as highest paid ever, within the next 12 months Cousins, Rodgers and Ryan will all be it at some point and then in all likelihood Mariota, Winston and the next great young QB will take the title. Rinse & repeat. We all know how hard it is the find an elite/very good QB these days so you can't fault the Lions for keeping their QB at this price. Not to mention while he's 0-3 in the playoffs, he's also their best QB in God knows how long.

If the Lions didn't make him the highest paid player, someone else would have.

If people have heartburn over Matt Stafford getting all kinds of money, those folks are really going to be disappointed when Kirk Cousins signs next summer.

Teams are just desperate for franchise signal callers. It really has no correlation to how good someone is - it's supply/demand.

I found an interesting article about a month ago detailing all of the QBs who had developed in NFL Europe. As much of a joke as that was, NFL Europe did a fairly good job of providing QB's on-the-job training that's so desperately needed on the pro level. If the league really wanted a great product again, they'd find a way to fund some type of developmental league again for QBs. Any league like that is a huge money pit though.

Everybody will forget about this contract when the next mega deal is signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad