Signing(s): Lions and Matt Stafford agree to 5 year deal worth 135 mil (27 mil per)

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
I'd take Luck over Cousins or Carr. Without Luck no way the Colts are a .500 team over the past couple seasons. But yea the 3 are close i guess, comes down to personal preference.

The Colts seemed to do fine with a 40 year old Hasselbeck in 2015.

People seriously underestimate how good of a player Luck is.

If i were being coached by a bum like Pagano and had the NFL version of a poorly built jenga tower for an offensive line i'd probably suck too. The guy has taken so much of a beating behind that line that it took them until this month to figure out if he'd be good to go for the season.

He's a top 10 QB easily even with the gongshow in Indy.

Luck is a good QB but people like to overrate him because of how hyped he was a prospect. He's still relatively young but I dont know if he will ever be an elite QB.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
This has no relevance. Does his team having an average QB somehow impact his ability to judge other QB's? :shakehead :huh:

Cousins should be highest paid by this time next year, one way or another. Rodgers, Russell Wilson (deals are up after 2019) & Ryan (deal up after 2018) are next. Then you have the new gen of Jameis/Mariota.

Go watch Cousins preseason tape and tell me if that's worth anything near 27 mil a year. He has looked terrible.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I might have let him walk-might...
I agree with this take: You can find good QB's. The truly great are hard to come by.

Stafford isn't great

What?! Lol. Crazy talk. He is a great qb. They havnt had a run game in close to a decade and one good year of a good defence which they were too cheap to keep together.

NFL recordsEditMost passing touchdowns in a single game by a rookie quarterback: 5 (tied with*Ray Buivid*and*Jameis Winston)[43]Youngest quarterback to throw 5 or more touchdowns in a single game (21 years, 288 days)First player in NFL history to throw for 1,500 yards and 14 touchdowns over a 4-game span: (2011, Weeks 14–17)First player in NFL history to complete 60% or more of all passes in each game in a season (2015)Most games with at least one touchdown pass in a season: 16 (2011, tied NFL record)Most consecutive 350+ yards passing games: 4 (2011–2012, tied with*Drew Brees)[44]Most yards thrown in a single game without a touchdown pass: (443, December 22, 2012)Most passing attempts in a season: 727 (2012)[45]Most pass attempts per game, career: 39.88, 2009–present[46]Most pass attempts per game, season: 45.44, 2012[47]Most games with 40+ pass attempts in a season: 13 (2012)[48]Fastest player to reach 15,000 career passing yards (53 GP)Fastest player to reach 20,000 career passing yards (71 GP)Fastest player to reach 25,000 career passing yards (90 GP)Fastest player to reach 30,000 career passing yards (109 GP)[49]Most passing yards in first 100 gamesMost fourth quarter comebacks in a season: 8 (2016)Most game-winning drives in a single season: 8 (2016)

Ya let him walk for someone from free agency or a fresh cut third string qb lmao

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
I might have let him walk-might...
I agree with this take: You can find good QB's. The truly great are hard to come by.

Stafford isn't great

I dont think its easy to find a good QB, let alone a great one.

Last edited:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...deal-you-dont-know-a-thing-about-nfl-qbs/amp/

"A quarterback's two best friends are a running game and a good defense. Since 2009, Stafford's first year, here are the Lions' rankings in scoring defense: 32nd, 19th, 23rd, 27th, 15th, third, 23rd and 13th. The year the Lions were No. 3 in 2014, they went 11-5. See a correlation?"

I once went around asking star quarterbacks if they would rather have a big-play receiver or a top-five defense. They all answered the same: Give me the defense. It makes life a lot easier.

"So does a running game. Yet here are the offensive rushing numbers in Stafford's time with the Lions: 24th, 23rd, 29th, 23rd, 17th, 28th, 32nd and 30th. That's repulsive."

Reality is he is the Lions franchise player and a great qb but it is a team game, without addressing their running game and defence they will still be terrible to mediocre.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

Stafford isn't great

Where?

And one of the biggest things I haven't seen anyone mention in here, the College game doesn't produce NFL qbs any more. Find me an NFL QB that is more than 1 year younger than Stafford that is better than him.

Your one option is Dak Prescott. Ok, maybe I'll give you that. But I'd argue any decent NFL QB can look great with by far the best O-line in the league. We should wait and see a bit on him.

And then once you realize you can't draft one better, show me one that has hit free agency.

You pay good QBs money when you have them. He will be the 10th highest paid QB 3 years from now. It's mind blowing that people still care about that fact when it comes out every other month for someone new

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Cam Newton
Andrew Luck
Derek Carr
Marcus Mariota

All better than Stafford. Some of you are enamored with his raw stats. Look beyond that. A lot of good info out there on QB's and contextualizing stats. He's an average QB with an elite physical skillset.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Where?

And one of the biggest things I haven't seen anyone mention in here, the College game doesn't produce NFL qbs any more. Find me an NFL QB that is more than 1 year younger than Stafford that is better than him.

Your one option is Dak Prescott. Ok, maybe I'll give you that. But I'd argue any decent NFL QB can look great with by far the best O-line in the league. We should wait and see a bit on him.

And then once you realize you can't draft one better, show me one that has hit free agency.

You pay good QBs money when you have them. He will be the 10th highest paid QB 3 years from now. It's mind blowing that people still care about that fact when it comes out every other month for someone new

If college doesn't produce NFL QBs, where do they come from?

Better QBs that are 1+ year younger include Cam, Luck, Carr, maybe Cousins and probably Mariota soon.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Dammit, I can't believe you beat me to pretty much the exact same list by a minute.

I also almost threw Russell Wilson in there, but he's older than I thought. Or maybe Stafford is younger. Probably both.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
If college doesn't produce NFL QBs, where do they come from?

Better QBs that are 1+ year younger include Cam, Luck, Carr, maybe Cousins and probably Mariota soon.

They come from College 5+ years ago.

For this season:

Newton 28YO. career Rating 86.1
Luck 28YO. career rating 87.3
Cousins 29 YO. career rating 93.6
Stafford 29 YO. career rating 86.8

And guys that are way younger:
Carr 87.9 career rating (Stafford 92 rating over that time)
Mariota 93.8 Career rating (Stafford 95.15 rating over that time)

Maybe my original statement was a little too strong/clearly defined. But if these are your examples of what the Lions could have if they let Stafford walk, and they get extremely lucky to get one of these next superstars, I stick with Stafford 1000 times out of 1000

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Dak, Jameis are on the cusp. You can find good QB's. Its finding the franchise changers that is hard.

You're example of "finding" a good qb is drafting him 1st overall, having a 85 QB rating, and if they are lucky enough that he stays at an 85 rating, eventually becoming the highest paid qb in the NFL when he signs his next contract?

What exactly is your point?

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
I don't think there's anything I care about less than a QB's rating. Well, no, that's not true. Wins. Definitely wins.

What do you care about then?

I'm guessing pure number of goal line caries if you're gonna list Cam, because that's really all he's got going for him

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
You think stolen laptops are worth a damn in the NFL?

Gimme stolen crab legs all day.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I only judge QBs from three things - Stephen A Smith hot takes (cue a video), ESPN QBR ratings, and if the guy kneels during a national anthem.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Accuracy % is such a flawed stat.

You mean 60 yard bombs and 5 yard checkdowns aren't made the same? No way

giphy.gif

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I have no idea what kinda point your whole post is trying to make but I believe that there were at least 2 QBs drafted last year who will be better than Stafford:
Wentz & Dak
1st rounder & 4th rounder
I think Stafford is good but not great
And I don't think he'll ever be great, he's going on his 9th year, I believe...

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I didn't see anything from Wentz that made me believe he'd ever reach Stafford's level.
rookie season...during Stafford's, you wouldn't have seen anything from him that woulda made you believe that he would have gotten to his current level [13 tds vs. 20 ints, just over 220 yard per game, 53% completion %]
Wentz has the tools...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad