Signing(s): Lions and Matt Stafford agree to 5 year deal worth 135 mil (27 mil per)

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Something about Matthew Stafford and "highest paid player ever" feels like it doesn't belong in the same sentence.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
0 playoff wins shouldn't be in the "highest-paid-ever" realm, but the unknown is scarier.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
Lot's of money but Stafford isn't the worst guy to give it to. Good starting QB's are hard to come by and Stafford is a good one.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Lot's of money but Stafford isn't the worst guy to give it to. Good starting QB's are hard to come by and Stafford is a good one.

Exactly. He's never missed serious time with an injury, he can get the team to the playoffs and he's helped turn around a team that went 0-16 the year before they drafted him. People forget for half of his career his only good offensive weapon was Megatron - who is amazing but its hard to do much when the opposing defence knows exactly who to cover.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Well, thanks a lot, Lions.

You mean, thanks a lot Colts and thanks a lot Raiders. The Luck and Carr contracts set the market. Stafford is a top 10 QB (in the 9-10 range) so I don't understand all the shock about him getting paid. If you have a good QB, you have to pay him. Without Stafford, the Lions win 2 or 3 games last year.

His poor record against good teams and 0-3 playoff record is due to the crappy team around him. He played well in those games, the first 2 in particular. Barry Sanders won 1 playoff game his entire career because....Lions. I kind of wish that Stafford signed elsewhere, he deserves much better than the Lions and I'm sure Calvin Johnson and Barry Sanders agree.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
You mean, thanks a lot Colts and thanks a lot Raiders. The Luck and Carr contracts set the market. Stafford is a top 10 QB (in the 9-10 range) so I don't understand all the shock about him getting paid. If you have a good QB, you have to pay him. Without Stafford, the Lions win 2 or 3 games last year.

His poor record against good teams and 0-3 playoff record is due to the crappy team around him. He played well in those games, the first 2 in particular. Barry Sanders won 1 playoff game his entire career because....Lions. I kind of wish that Stafford signed elsewhere, he deserves much better than the Lions and I'm sure Calvin Johnson and Barry Sanders agree.

Carr and Luck are superior to Stafford in every way.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Exactly. He's never missed serious time with an injury, he can get the team to the playoffs and he's helped turn around a team that went 0-16 the year before they drafted him. People forget for half of his career his only good offensive weapon was Megatron - who is amazing but its hard to do much when the opposing defence knows exactly who to cover.

Oh so wait its Calvin Johnson's fault Stafford is completely average? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad