Prospect Info: Linus Weissbach (2017, 192nd) signed to ELC

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Badgers got curbstomped by OSU yesterday, 9-1. They have a rematch tonight, hopefully they play for pride. Surprisingly, Linus was only a -1 even with 7 of the Buckeyes' goals being ES or SH.

He has disappointed me in my viewings this year. I had high hopes, with the freshmen offensive guys coming in that he would be showing them the way as a junior, pumping up his scoring totals and rounding out his game. He has 1 goal in his last 21 games and while he's slipped to the third line with some PP duty, he has largely been unnoticeable. He's got the skills. I would assume he goes back as a senior because a 4-18-22 season for an undersized winger isn't really something one would hang an ELC on right now.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
In return for senior season, Linus Weissbach takes on a new power-play role for the Badgers
The plan was to have Weissbach playing the point on the #1 PP when this article was written.

Granato wants Weissbach to make sure shooting is a primary option, too.
"I want him to think aggressively as far as being able to deliver the puck to the net," he said. "That's one important component that Wyatt did really well. Because those other options don't open up unless you've got a shooter up top."
Weissbach has been able to open up opportunities with his speed, and the power play quarterback position gives him new avenues there.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I really don't have a good handle on how the Sabres stay in touch with their draftees who play college hockey. Until this season, if you look at only the stats - there has been regression. This year, he's already exceeded his goal tally vs last. My guess is that he's not on many teams' radar, but that could change if this is really a break out year for him. If the Sabres have stuck with him through what were a couple of bad seasons, I'd think he'd be inclined to sign with Buffalo - especially knowing that there's opportunity here

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I really don't have a good handle on how the Sabres stay in touch with their draftees who play college hockey. Until this season, if you look at only the stats - there has been regression. This year, he's already exceeded his goal tally vs last. My guess is that he's not on many teams' radar, but that could change if this is really a break out year for him. If the Sabres have stuck with him through what were a couple of bad seasons, I'd think he'd be inclined to sign with Buffalo - especially knowing that there's opportunity here

Not really a fair assessment. He had 1 less point in his 2nd year than his 1st, but in 7 fewer games. His per game productivity went up. Last year (his junior season) is the only year where his numbers trended in the wrong direction.

Reactions: Dex

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I think you have no reason not to sign him. He's been a consistent scorer in college, he should at least get a chance in the AHL. No guarantee that he's an NHL level talent, but he definitely is at least a projectable AHL body.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Linus Weissbach 'not really' focused on earning contract with Sabres

“That’s obviously something that’s around the season, I guess, but not really,” said Weissbach of the potential to earn a contract. “For me, just to be able to win something with Wisconsin (is my focus). I’ve been here for three years now and there have been some ups and downs but getting that one last chance to do something special with the team we have here. The City of Madison and the university here are definitely special. That’s been the main focus for me, trying to get something going here and making the most of my last year.”

“I'm going to do everything I can on my end to make sure that he's ready for that opportunity (to play professionally)," Granato told the Wisconsin State Journal. "But it's up to him. And from what I've seen and from what his teammates have seen for the first couple of months since he's been back, he's all in."

Linus mentions the mandatory getting bigger and stronger bit. Says he gained about 12 pounds. He hasn't been in frequent communication with the Sabres but says that's understandable.

Reactions: joshjull

sabregoat

Sep 22, 2005
Hamburg, NY
It was in the morning paper that there is speculation that he will head to UFA, which is a shame. This organization wil not get anyone to come here without a respectable coach, Gmail, president, and owner.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I don't know NCAA numbers well to compare his stats but it's not like we are swimming in prospects in Rochester. We do have 6 contract spots open.

Why wouldn't we let him play in Rochester? Unless he is unwilling to sign here which is understandable.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
He's earned the right to do what he wants. He didn't really earn a contract after his previous years with Wisconsin, though he did appear to be trending correctly until a disappointing junior year.

I'm not going to be overly upset if he goes UFA.......but I do hope we at least offer him a contract and see if he takes it.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
I'm not sure that Wiessbach going to free agency would be a sign of anything in particular. He was born in 1998 and was a 7th rd pick. 7th rd picks are close to being undrafted players. He had 114 points in 127 collegiate games. We signed a guy recently, Biro, who was undrafted, born the same year and who had 116 points in 138 collegiate games. I'm not saying Biro is as good of a prospect as Weissbach is; I haven't seen either play. But the Sabres have been able to attract such players from college and Europe in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad