Player Discussion Linus Ullmark

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Can’t wait for him to negotiate in the NMC on a long term deal and play maybe 40% of the contract.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
Can’t wait for him to negotiate in the NMC on a long term deal and play maybe 40% of the contract.

I completely understand your cynicism.

I can't wait for the day when the Sabres are a playoff team again and Sabre fans, in general, can stop viewing every front-office move, player transaction and on-ice mistake through the lens of 10 years of futility.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
What should the Sabres do with goalie Linus Ullmark? 'His career has been on a steady incline'
When Linus Ullmark’s father died in January, the goalie’s grief played out in public. He explained his brief absence from the Sabres in a touching yet painful way, telling Buffalo that his feeling of loss overwhelmed his ability to focus on the ice.

There’s also a private pain pummeling Ullmark daily.

The 27-year-old is a family man to the core. Yet his wife, son and infant daughter stayed in Sweden this season. He’s already missed his wife’s birthday, his son turning 3 and his daughter’s first few months of life.

“The only thing that really enters my mind is my family when I go off on the sidelines,” Ullmark said Monday. “I’m here by myself right now, and it’s been a battle ever since Day 1.

I wouldn't be shocked if Ullmark decides to play in Sweden next season. It comes down to what the travel situation is. I don't think he's going to spend another season away from his family.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I completely understand your cynicism.

I can't wait for the day when the Sabres are a playoff team again and Sabre fans, in general, can stop viewing every front-office move, player transaction and on-ice mistake through the lens of 10 years of futility.

Forget 10 years. How about just last year? Cody Eakin signed for $4.5 M/2 years, Girgensons $6.6/3 years. No goalie acquired. (I'll offer a pass on Staal because they roled dice he could still play.) Management over past off-season was garbage. Contracts signed that were above market again.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
What should the Sabres do with goalie Linus Ullmark? 'His career has been on a steady incline'
When Linus Ullmark’s father died in January, the goalie’s grief played out in public. He explained his brief absence from the Sabres in a touching yet painful way, telling Buffalo that his feeling of loss overwhelmed his ability to focus on the ice.

There’s also a private pain pummeling Ullmark daily.

The 27-year-old is a family man to the core. Yet his wife, son and infant daughter stayed in Sweden this season. He’s already missed his wife’s birthday, his son turning 3 and his daughter’s first few months of life.

“The only thing that really enters my mind is my family when I go off on the sidelines,” Ullmark said Monday. “I’m here by myself right now, and it’s been a battle ever since Day 1.

I wouldn't be shocked if Ullmark decides to play in Sweden next season. It comes down to what the travel situation is. I don't think he's going to spend another season away from his family.

That would be a huge surprise. Ullmark is not turning down the money in the NHL when compared to the Swedish league. He will just bring his family here.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
That would be a huge surprise. Ullmark is not turning down the money in the NHL when compared to the Swedish league. He will just bring his family here.

Oh yeah, he's leaving millions and millions on the table to play in Sweden. You ask me, that's being a pretty bad family man. He can provide his kids for a lifetime with the next contract and they spend a few years living in Buffalo in the world's largest economy. And they will be rich with no worries about health-care or where they go to school. As a father, there is no choice here. The selfish one is to return to Sweden.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Oh yeah, he's leaving millions and millions on the table to play in Sweden. You ask me, that's being a pretty bad family man. He can provide his kids for a lifetime with the next contract and they spend a few years living in Buffalo in the world's largest economy. And they will be rich with no worries about health-care or where they go to school. As a father, there is no choice here. The selfish one is to return to Sweden.
Ullmark's kids are already set for life unless he does something stupid like gamble it away.
That said there's no way he comes home next year to play in the swedish second division. His family will move back to the states.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Well, everyone knows that if you’re trying to pump up your contract value, you try to get as many starts as possible for the 20-21 Buffalo Sabres

he’s been a good soldier here, try to get him at a reasonable wage but plan out a 1b as well

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Ullmark's kids are already set for life unless he does something stupid like gamble it away.
That said there's no way he comes home next year to play in the swedish second division. His family will move back to the states.

Hmm, Ullmark has made $6.2 million in career earnings, per Cap Friendly. Take 10% off (or more, especially this season) for NHL Escrow. 3% off for agent fees. Estimate what, 30% off for Federal and NYS taxes?

Leaves him, rough guess, $3.5M. Good money, absolutely. Kids set for life? Not sure about that. College paid for, for sure (but isn't it free in Sweden anyway?)

No way I see Ullmark passing up a multiyear contract opportunity. This next contract is the one that sets him, and his family, up for life.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

He's probably taken home less than $3M total in his NA pro career.

I doubt his kids are set for life off of that.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Hmm, Ullmark has made $6.2 million in career earnings, per Cap Friendly. Take 10% off (or more, especially this season) for NHL Escrow. 3% off for agent fees. Estimate what, 30% off for Federal and NYS taxes?

Leaves him, rough guess, $3.5M. Good money, absolutely. Kids set for life? Not sure about that. College paid for, for sure (but isn't it free in Sweden anyway?)

No way I see Ullmark passing up a multiyear contract opportunity. This next contract is the one that sets him, and his family, up for life.

Income Tax Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The NY+Fed tax rate is north of 45%, at least for his big seasons.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Income Tax Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The NY+Fed tax rate is north of 45%, at least for his big seasons.

Doubt. (1) That calculator is based on the current tax code. Although now capped at $10k, until 2018, 100% of state income taxes were deductible at the federal level. (2) Anyone with that much money who isn't employing someone to help them take advantage of tax planning opportunities is doing it wrong.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Doubt. (1) That calculator is based on the current tax code. Although now capped at $10k, until 2018, 100% of state income taxes were deductible at the federal level. (2) Anyone with that much money who isn't employing someone to help them take advantage of tax planning opportunities is doing it wrong.

Even then it's in the 38%-ish area.

With all the various things chipping away at the $6.2M in salary, I think it's safe to say that his kids aren't "set for life" based off of what Ullmark has made to date.

And I will be surprised if Ullmark is playing in Sweden next season. But, you never know.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
No, he's not.

If Tokarski isn't 3rd in the Sabres depth chart heading into next season, then Adams has failed to adequately addressed the goaltending position for the second off season in a row.
I disagree entirely. Goalie is a strange positoin, imo the strangest position in sports. There are more than a few goalies don't hit their prime until their late 20's or early 30's. Tokarski hasn't received much of a chance at the NHL, but has been doing really well in the minors for awhile.

Tokarski has been flat out great recently. Right now he is playing as good as or better than Ullmark has played all seson. If you dismiss Tokarski's first 3 games as Sabre, which were all during the losing streak and the entire team was garbage, his numbers are extremely impressive. In the 6 games he has played since the streak ended, starting on Apirl 1, he has a save percentage of .926, and he is passing the eye test. Doesn't really seem to let in too many bad goals. If Tokarski keeps this up for the next couple of weeks, he will be in the NHL next season, whether it's with the Sabres or somebody else. IMO it would be very Sabresy, to have Tokarski come up, tear it up for a month, then not give him a chance next season on the big club or let him walk in free agency.

Sometimes good goalies fall in your lap. It happens more at that positon than probably any other position in sports. For whatever reasons guys take longer to develop or don't get a chance when they are playing well. I have been impressed with Tokarski and when you look at what he has been doing in the minors, it says to me that he may be a guy that is having a late prime and could be a more than serviceable goalie for a few years if not better. The Sabres shouldn't try to oursmart themselves on this one if Tokarski continues to play well.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I disagree entirely. Goalie is a strange positoin, imo the strangest position in sports. There are more than a few goalies don't hit their prime until their late 20's or early 30's. Tokarski hasn't received much of a chance at the NHL, but has been doing really well in the minors for awhile.

Tokarski has been flat out great recently. Right now he is playing as good as or better than Ullmark has played all seson. If you dismiss Tokarski's first 3 games as Sabre, which were all during the losing streak and the entire team was garbage, his numbers are extremely impressive. In the 6 games he has played since the streak ended, starting on Apirl 1, he has a save percentage of .926, and he is passing the eye test. Doesn't really seem to let in too many bad goals. If Tokarski keeps this up for the next couple of weeks, he will be in the NHL next season, whether it's with the Sabres or somebody else. IMO it would be very Sabresy, to have Tokarski come up, tear it up for a month, then not give him a chance next season on the big club or let him walk in free agency.

Sometimes good goalies fall in your lap. It happens more at that positons than probably any other position in sports. For whatever reasons guys take longer to develop or don't get a chance when they are playing well. I have been impressed with Tokarski and when you look at what he has been doing in the minors, it says to me that he may be a guy that is having a late prime and could be a more than serviceable goalie for a few years if not better. The Sabres shouldn't try to oursmart themselves on this one if Tokarski continues to play well.

Projecting a goalie at 31yo off of a six game sample size is the definition of outsmarting yourself.

Plus, Tokarski is already under contract for next season. So, this isn't an Ullmark or Tokarski thing.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Sometimes good goalies fall in your lap. It happens more at that positon than probably any other position in sports. For whatever reasons guys take longer to develop or don't get a chance when they are playing well. I have been impressed with Tokarski and when you look at what he has been doing in the minors, it says to me that he may be a guy that is having a late prime and could be a more than serviceable goalie for a few years if not better. The Sabres shouldn't try to oursmart themselves on this one if Tokarski continues to play well.

Maybe he is the next Tim Thomas. But chances are, he's not. And I kinda disagree that he's passing the eye test. There are PLENTY of shaky saves that he makes throughout the course of the game. The Pens' 2nd goal last night just can't go in if you expect to be a long-term NHLer. Heck, even that first goal was kinda shaky through that massive 5-hole.

I'm comfortable with DT as an organizational 3rd brought in to split time with UPL down in Rochester (or on the taxi squad if there is one next year). But we can't count on him to be a 1B or a legit 2.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
Projecting a goalie at 31yo off of a six game sample size is the definition of outsmarting yourself.
I didn't say anything about protecting him. I just saying that it would be stupid to already determine that Tokarski isn't going to be part of the Sabres future when he is playing this well, or to determine that Ullmark is some far superior goalie to Tokarski when Tokarski is playing as well right now as Ullmark ever has in his career.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I didn't say anything about protecting him. I just saying that it would be stupid to already determine that Tokarski isn't going to be part of the Sabres future when he is playing this well, or to determine that Ullmark is some far superior goalie to Tokarski when Tokarski is playing as well right now as Ullmark ever has in his career.

Tokarski is not playing as well right now as Ullmark ever has. That is some crazy recency bias talking.

And saying Tokarski should be the #3 on the organizational depth chart isn't saying he isn't in the team's plan for next season. It's just that they can't plan on him playing a huge role.

The NHL is littered with goalies that played well for a month or two and were never able to regain that level again.

Small sample size is an issue with a guy like Driedger, as well.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

He's probably taken home less than $3M total in his NA pro career.

I doubt his kids are set for life off of that.
Depends on how many kids he gets but if they live in northern Sweden it will be hard to spend as much as he'll get in interest every year. Education etc. is free in Sweden but if they don't want to work they can easily live a decent life here with just 0.6 million. You really don't have much to spend your money on here, skiing, hiking, fooling around on your scooter, fishing, hunting etc is free/almost free.

If they want a mansion near Stockholm it's another thing (costs about 3-4 million) but hockey players from up north tend to be gifted land by a local sponsors and settle there. They often live in nice, normal, homes. A castle is seriously impractical in our climate. :)

And to clarify: of course he should sign a big deal in the NHL but with 3 million in his account he CAN buy a good home and live on half the interest. His money should still grow enough for his kids to live a middle class life without working.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00