Player Discussion Linus Ullmark

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Ullmark in April:

3-1-0 .909 s%, 3.14 GAA (Rangers, Devils, Devils, Philly)

Tokarski in April:

1-1-2 .921 s%, 2.74 GAA (Wash, Boston, Wash, Rangers)

This team is different under Granato. Don't let Ullmark's play versus crummy teams fool you.
I’m afraid of the next Ullmark contract. Ottawa signed Matt Murray last summer for 4 X 6.25. I’d go 2 X 4. I’d also trade Risto for Kuemper as they are both UFA’s after next season.

Reactions: Artemis Clyde Frog

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I’m afraid of the next Ullmark contract. Ottawa signed Matt Murray last summer for 4 X 6.25. I’d go 2 X 4. I’d also trade Risto for Kuemper as they are both UFA’s after next season.

If Arizona moves Kuemper, I doubt it would be for a player like Risto. They would likely want UPL+pick and not a fellow UFA-to-be.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
If Arizona moves Kuemper, I doubt it would be for a player like Risto. They would likely want UPL+pick and not a fellow UFA-to-be.
Arizona had 2 defenseman signed for next year. This would help both teams before the expansion draft. I through this at their board and they said they would to it in a heartbeat. And add.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Arizona had 2 defenseman signed for next year. This would help both teams before the expansion draft. I through this at their board and they said they would to it in a heartbeat. And add.

Who do they have signed in goal if they move Kuemper?

The big challenge they have is they will have to make a pre-ED move to acquire a D to expose. Right now, they have to expose Chychrun as OEL has a NMC and they are the only two qualifying D that aren't UFAs after this season.

They are going to be an interesting team to watch pre-ED. I just doubt that Kuemper for Risto is the kind of deal they are looking to make.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Ullmark and his agent may have blundered. If he doesn't get back in net soon, I wish him all the luck in the world getting a multi-year deal.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Same. Feels like the Skinner UFA situation all over again. The situation strongly encourages us to draw up a dumb contract (and in Ullmark's case, it's probably even more mandatory to keep him).

Botterill could've had Ullmark and Reinhart both under good deals with term, but he punted the responsibility down the road....to now.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Ullmark and his agent may have blundered. If he doesn't get back in net soon, I wish him all the luck in the world getting a multi-year deal.

Even if he misses the rest of the season, I bet some team will offer him a multi-year deal. But, good luck getting a Demko-ish contract on the UFA market if his latest LBI is long term.

The #1 ability a goalie needs is availability.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Same. Feels like the Skinner UFA situation all over again. The situation strongly encourages us to draw up a dumb contract (and in Ullmark's case, it's probably even more mandatory to keep him).

Botterill could've had Ullmark and Reinhart both under good deals with term, but he punted the responsibility down the road....to now.

Which has been good moves on both.

Both players have proven to not command top dollar.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Which has been good moves on both.

Both players have proven to not command top dollar.

Reinhart's deal potential has been nebulous, so I'll abstain there.

Ullmark could've been gotten a team-comfortable deal. His arb ask was 4.1.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Adams gave Reinhart & Ullmark the one year deals they are currently on.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah, prior to a covid season, in which we weren't sure on the parameters. I don't blame Adams for coming in fresh and 1 year dealing people.

It is disingenuous to look at the contract situations with Ullmark and Reinhart and lay it completely at the feet of Botterill when Adams signed them to one year deals prior to this season.

They were both unsigned RFAs with 1 & 2 years to UFA when Adams was hired. Adams opted to punt the decision down the road just as much as Botterill did.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Ullmark in April:

3-1-0 .909 s%, 3.14 GAA (Rangers, Devils, Devils, Philly)

Tokarski in April:

1-1-2 .921 s%, 2.74 GAA (Wash, Boston, Wash, Rangers)

This team is different under Granato. Don't let Ullmark's play versus crummy teams fool you.

Quick - we need to extend Tokarski yesterday, lock him up.

5 x 5 is overpayment, but we can't win with anybody else in net.... :sarcasm:

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
It is disingenuous to look at the contract situations with Ullmark and Reinhart and lay it completely at the feet of Botterill when Adams signed them to one year deals prior to this season.

They were both unsigned RFAs with 1 & 2 years to UFA when Adams was hired. Adams opted to punt the decision down the road just as much as Botterill did.

Completely different scenarios. Botterill punted knowing the players and having them a period of time. Adams punted into the fog of covid. You comparing their situations is disingenuous.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Who do they have signed in goal if they move Kuemper?

The big challenge they have is they will have to make a pre-ED move to acquire a D to expose. Right now, they have to expose Chychrun as OEL has a NMC and they are the only two qualifying D that aren't UFAs after this season.

They are going to be an interesting team to watch pre-ED. I just doubt that Kuemper for Risto is the kind of deal they are looking to make.
Do we have goalie we can send along?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Do we have goalie we can send along?

Not really.

The Sabres have no real NHL goalies under team control for next season. All the Sabres have are Tokarski (AHL guy) and UPL (not quite ready for the NHL) when it comes to goalies under team control for next season.

Arizona has one real NHL goalie under team control for next season and that is Kuemper. That's why I think Yotes fans are more open to a Kuemper deal than the Yotes might be.

They both seem like they need to add goaltending for their NHL roster in 2021-22.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Do we worry about the injuries at all? I heard Ray say on the Instigators that Ullmark is one of those guys that any small injury and he won't play. I'm as big an Ullmark fan as any, but all these lower body injuries scare me that he's had.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Do we worry about the injuries at all? I heard Ray say on the Instigators that Ullmark is one of those guys that any small injury and he won't play. I'm as big an Ullmark fan as any, but all these lower body injuries scare me that he's had.

It's been the topic of discussion for 10 pages. Some people here think its no big deal that the guy is never available, and have zero hesitation of giving him big money long term.

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
My guess is that Ullmarks prioritizes term above all at this point in his career. Secondly, I think all goalies would like to play for a decent defense.

Can Adams create such a team until next season? I am afraid that he will likely go elsewhere.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
The following 5 goalies have comparable career save %'s to Ullmark: Mrazek, Talbot, Varlamov, Allen and Jarry. The average current contract for these 5 goalies is 3.2 years x $3.925. The average starting age for those contracts was age 28.

Ullmark will be 28 this year. There is a flat cap. 3-4 years x $3.75-$4.25 is in line with others and is fair I think. I would guess that they will get something done in this range.

The Sabres are 41-57-15 over the past 2 seasons with a .429 points %. With Ullmark in that stretch they are 26-20-6 with a .557 points %.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
The following 5 goalies have comparable career save %'s to Ullmark: Mrazek, Talbot, Varlamov, Allen and Jarry. The average current contract for these 5 goalies is 3.2 years x $3.925. The average starting age for those contracts was age 28.

Ullmark will be 28 this year. There is a flat cap. 3-4 years x $3.75-$4.25 is in line with others and is fair I think. I would guess that they will get something done in this range.

The Sabres are 41-57-15 over the past 2 seasons with a .429 points %. With Ullmark in that stretch they are 26-20-6 with a .557 points %.

Good analysis. Re-signing Ullmark for around $4 million per for 3-4 years and signing another #1B goaltender for slightly less than that is what this team needs to do to have any chance of finishing above .500 next season

Ullmark hasn't proven that he can stay healthy enough to play even half of a regular NHL season, so it'd be extremely short-sighted of management to think only re-signing him and a typical backup goalie will be enough going forward

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
Good analysis. Re-signing Ullmark for around $4 million per for 3-4 years and signing another #1B goaltender for slightly less than that is what this team needs to do to have any chance of finishing above .500 next season

Ullmark hasn't proven that he can stay healthy enough to play even half of a regular NHL season, so it'd be extremely short-sighted of management to think only re-signing him and a typical backup goalie will be enough going forward

I agree. Looking at the crop of UFA goalies next year, there are lots of candidates for a 1B goalie on a 1-2 year contract; there are none (or very few) though who have been close to consistent through their careers. Extending Ullmark, making a deal with Seattle to leave us alone (Boston's 2nd?) and then trading for a goalie who might get taken in the expansion draft (Casey DeSmith, Cam Talbot, Anton Khudobin, Jake Allen) would be a great outcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad