Speculation: Lineys for Whitey.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
He was amazing at the U 18's scored the gold medal goal in overtime. Then got sick/hurt his draft year and actually dropped he was seen as a top 15 pick.

Amazing is a “bit” of an exaggeration.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I specifically mentioned NHL scouts because as an "internet scout", I think it is self-evident that I would respect other "internet scouts" and scouting services to some extent.

I understand how White was perceived. I know he had mono, and he did not receive primary offensive usage. These factors may have impacted his offensive numbers; however, I am going to let another team select him. That team can hope those reasons are true. I am not going to risk it. I'll take a player that had good numbers with no excuses needed.

The above is not really important. The main reason I am responding to you is because of your Pinto claim. Selecting a PPG+ USHL player in the second round is a fine pick. Off the top of my head, I think the only two players that were clearly stronger statistical players were Bobby Brink and Arthur Kaliyev. I'm not suggesting to always select the strongest statistical player, but every player taken should have a good statistical profile relative to draft position

Who are you referring to with the "etc"? From 2009-now, our late-round steals would likely be considered to be Hoffman, Stone, Dzingel, and Pageau. They are all strong statistical picks, so I am confused on who you are talking about. You pointed out two players that have more or less done nothing at the NHL level.

You claim no team should draft for the present. A team should draft for the future. I agree, and I never suggested otherwise.

You can certainly have your own projection and scouting report for any prospect, I have absolutely no problem with that. I was just a messenger here. I listed the pre-draft rankings that we can find on Eliteprospects. Those rankings are not from NHL scouts but you said "While I respect the opinion of NHL scouts..." so I was just pointing out that we have basically no idea what NHL scouts thought.

I don't disagree with the rest. Yes, it's very important to look at context when looking at stats. It can be a bit hard for "amateurs" because we don't know everything and don't have time to search everything but for NHL teams, that's their job and they should absolutely hunt for every possible information.

For the Etc., I don't know, I haven't done an extensive research on this and probably won't (but still possible). I'm just saying that the Sens don't always take the "safe player" in the sense that they won't necessarily take the statistical "logical choice" (ex : Kaliyev). I believe most teams think "down the road" when they take a player and not just "kids is good now, so let's assume he'll be good in 5 years and let's go eat at the buffet!"

And yes I know, overall we pretty much agree. Really only wanted to give you the few sources I saw about White's pre-draft rank.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
You can certainly have your own projection and scouting report for any prospect, I have absolutely no problem with that. I was just a messenger here. I listed the pre-draft rankings that we can find on Eliteprospects. Those rankings are not from NHL scouts but you said "While I respect the opinion of NHL scouts..." so I was just pointing out that we have basically no idea what NHL scouts thought.

I don't disagree with the rest. Yes, it's very important to look at context when looking at stats. It can be a bit hard for "amateurs" because we don't know everything and don't have time to search everything but for NHL teams, that's their job and they should absolutely hunt for every possible information.

For the Etc., I don't know, I haven't done an extensive research on this and probably won't (but still possible). I'm just saying that the Sens don't always take the "safe player" in the sense that they won't necessarily take the statistical "logical choice" (ex : Kaliyev). I believe most teams think "down the road" when they take a player and not just "kids is good now, so let's assume he'll be good in 5 years and let's go eat at the buffet!"

And yes I know, overall we pretty much agree. Really only wanted to give you the few sources I saw about White's pre-draft rank.

One of the lists you produced was from Bob McKenzie. His list is derived from NHL scouts.

"TSN's final NHL draft ranking is a compilation list based on input from various scouts around the National Hockey League." (McKenzie's Final Ranking: McDavid, Eichel and... - TSN.ca)

I was referring to McKenzie's list in my original comment about respecting the opinion of NHL scouts.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He was amazing at the U 18's scored the gold medal goal in overtime. Then got sick/hurt his draft year and actually dropped he was seen as a top 15 pick.

2014 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge title - Sydney, Nova Scotia
- Led all skaters in the tournament in goals (10), assists (8) and points (18) in six outings

have a look at the Team USA roster
Rosters

So he came off that year into his U18 draft year and got mono...

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
One of the lists you produced was from Bob McKenzie. His list is derived from NHL scouts.

"TSN's final NHL draft ranking is a compilation list based on input from various scouts around the National Hockey League." (McKenzie's Final Ranking: McDavid, Eichel and... - TSN.ca)

I was referring to McKenzie's list in my original comment about respecting the opinion of NHL scouts.

Don't worry I know that. It's also a sample of NHL scouts opinion. If I'm not mistaken, it's based on a dozen scouts? Or something like that

Anyway, based on all we have seen, White was not a reach at #21. Doesn't mean that there's nobody who saw him lower than that.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
2014 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge title - Sydney, Nova Scotia
- Led all skaters in the tournament in goals (10), assists (8) and points (18) in six outings

have a look at the Team USA roster
Rosters

So he came off that year into his U18 draft year and got mono...
Didn’t lazar break records at that same tourny

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Didn’t lazar break records at that same tourny
Not sure if its a record but he had 2 goals and an assist in 4 games at that tournament in 2012.

U17 is probably always a factor in drafting a year later but interestingly enough scouts are going to have to rely on a bit more on U17 play from last year, this year because of the lack of hockey.

Last edited:

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020

not to change the subject matter too abruptly.

HM: Sebastian Aho.. ends up 35th overall pick (round 2, pick 5)..wahhh the crap shoot that this thing is. Ironic, their first pick, #5 in round 1...Noah Hanifin..At least one of the two worked out.

And the bullshit we get fed about: they know what they are doing...must be. Paval Zacha 6th overall...oooohhhh, not good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad