Line Combos: Lines this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiger Svoboda

Jul 28, 2004
Many of you guys will hate Andrigettho soon enough because he is too small. You will also hate Therrien because he plays.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
He will be send down to Hamilton no matter what. He was recalled because of Eller's injury. Great. He had points. But it is not the end of the World. He will be back sooner rather than later.

We'd still be missing a top 6 winger. Unless you're content with Weise on the 2nd line, and Prust/Bournival in our top 9.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Prust=4th liner
Weise=4th liner

We took on Bryan ****ing Allen so we could get non-productive players out of our top 9

Weise with Pleks makes zero sense

More MT mind games with a rookie, do I wish Ghetto was 6 feet - sure but our 6' call ups have provided next to nothing

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Talk about over reaction ! Holy cow !

What would it be IF the team would had lost its last three games ?

Some of us actually like to cheer for players who are playing well and believe they should be rewarded via meritocracy. Something you and Therrien know nothing about. So if the plan was to send down Ghetto until Eller came back then fine. Why not at least wait for a game where he didn't tally a point before saying,"OK kid! You had your fun, time to go back down."

Setting up the kid for failure reeks on so many levels. People advocate playing Allen to see what Bergevin had acquired and what he could do. I say why not play our youngsters so that we know what THEY can do as they are the future of this team. What lesson did Ghetto learn? Play well and you get punished? :shakehead

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Why would Therrien mess with these lines? Taht one I just can't defend.

Therrien doesn't really trust Andrighetto defensively yet. Plekanec's line has the role Eller's line used to have and Desharnais' line is an exploitation line.

habitue*

Therrien doesn't really trust Andrighetto defensively yet. Plekanec's line has the role Eller's line used to have and Desharnais' line is an exploitation line.

Exactly. And MT explained it well in his post game press scrum why he switched Andrighetto for Weise.

habitue*

Some of us actually like to cheer for players who are playing well and believe they should be rewarded via meritocracy. Something you and Therrien know nothing about. So if the plan was to send down Ghetto until Eller came back then fine. Why not at least wait for a game where he didn't tally a point before saying,"OK kid! You had your fun, time to go back down."

Setting up the kid for failure reeks on so many levels. People advocate playing Allen to see what Bergevin had acquired and what he could do. I say why not play our youngsters so that we know what THEY can do as they are the future of this team. What lesson did Ghetto learn? Play well and you get punished? :shakehead

You really think Andrighetto was expecting to stay at NHL level for the rest of the season. He knew darn well that with Eller back, he would be pushed aside ans sent down to AHL.

Why so much drama here ?

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Look I've always defended Therrien, but this decision is unjustified. That Andrighetto gets sent down after Eller comes back, ok, fine. But that he changes 3 lines, including a 3rd line with Prust on it that was doing great, is completely uncalled for. We have a 4th line grinder on each of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th line.

I'm just not a fan of lineups that CAN'T be a long-term solution. Weise on the 2nd line isn't a long-term solution. Tangradi in the lineup isn't a long-term solution. And Bournival anywhere else than on the 4th line isn't preferable neither.

Supporting Therrien and saying he's not as bad as people think he is doesn't mean everything he does is clever, neither.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ineverplayedthegame

Sep 25, 2013
My hopes that Weise would be out of the lineup are now crushed. Bergevin really should have dealt the guy while he was playing with a horseshoe up his ass.

To be fair to Therrien, Andriguetto's gotten kinda lucky (team scoring on one shot out of five while he's on the ice, who does the kid think he's playing for? the 2013-2014 Colorado Avalanche?). However, I think he's shown that he's one of the 12 best foward on the team, probably one of the 9 best (the probably is because of how much Prust has ruled this year but I wouldn't be against Prust on the fourth moving up in the top 9 when holding a lead/on Dzone faceoffs) so ... I guess that's it for being fair to Therrien.

Frankly, I thought he looked better the couple of times we saw him with DD and PAP than with Plekanec but small sample. I don't think the Plekanec line has looked all that good at 5on5 during the winning streak actually, they did look better with Andriguetto instead of Weise but Weise is bad so that's kinda expected.

I'm really curious to see Plekanec go without Galchenyuk, shot attempts look.. not that flattering, it's a small sample so I'll wait before worrying but ... 32 year old, wouldn't be a first. Not that he's bad but I suspect we've reached the point were he can't anchor a line if you expect that line to be a strong possession line. We'll see I guess, Eller's a strong possession driver, if he can do it from the wing that's 3 lines that should be able to drive play in the right direction.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal

He learned that he's a rookie. And I guarantee you're a whole lot more upset about it than he is.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Meh.

I think we can all agree that Weise shouldn't be in the top 9 and Tangradi shouldn't be in the lineup, regardless of the record. As for the rest, I don't really care.

Ineverplayedthegame

Sep 25, 2013

Except Weise isn't good at defence, if you want to put a good defensive player with Plekanec because he gets defensive zone starts put Prust, who's actually good at defence and has been strong in zone entries wich is a valuable skill to have when you're starting in your own zone, there and put Andriguetto with DD, who he's looked good with the few shifts they've had together. An offensive exploitation line is a logical spot for a rookie and Andriguetto has a strong shot rate in the AHL, see if that shot rate can translate to the NHL level with an offensive zone push. We have the luxury of having not one but two legit proven top 9 NHL players with legit NHL offensive skills to play on a sheltered/exploitation line instead of goons or bad players, use that luxury.

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa
Again, not a fan of Therrien but he is obviously trying to ice a lineup that can match the Duck's size and physicality for tomorrow nights game. That is what I see from this mornings practice lines.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Except Weise isn't good at defence, if you want to put a good defensive player with Plekanec because he gets defensive zone starts put Prust, who's actually good at defence and has been strong in zone entries wich is a valuable skill to have when you're starting in your own zone, there and put Andriguetto with DD, who he's looked good with the few shifts they've had together. An offensive exploitation line is a logical spot for a rookie and Andriguetto has a strong shot rate in the AHL, see if that shot rate can translate to the NHL level with an offensive zone push. We have the luxury of having not one but two legit proven top 9 NHL players with legit NHL offensive skills to play on a sheltered/exploitation line instead of goons or bad players, use that luxury.

Weise is just as reliable defensively and makes good decisions with the puck, also the speed factor comes into play. I see no trouble giving him that role in the mean time. With Parenteau and Desharnais, you want a north/south guy who wins battles and is responsible, because those other two are strong off the rush, but struggle in their own end. You wouldn't wanna put a rookie in a situation like that. Besides, Andrighetto is a RW and not a LW.

He looked good with Pleks, but we also needed to tighten up our defensive play after the kings game, and Therrien alluded to that by putting together a defensive-minded line to allow himself to make Desharnais' line an exploitation line.

Andrighetto is a fit on Plekanec's line when it's a more offensive minded line, but in order for Plekanec's line to be offensively oriented, Therrien wants a third line that is defensively responsible. It gives him much more flexibility.

Ineverplayedthegame

Sep 25, 2013
Weise is just as reliable defensively and makes good decisions with the puck, also the speed factor comes into play. I see no trouble giving him that role in the mean time. With Parenteau and Desharnais, you want a north/south guy who wins battles and is responsible, because those other two are strong off the rush, but struggle in their own end. You wouldn't wanna put a rookie in a situation like that. Besides, Andrighetto is a RW and not a LW.

My mistake on Andrighetto, I thought he could play both, he got a couple of shifts with DD and PAP and they looked pretty good, not sure whom played what tho. It's an exploitation line, just make sure they don't have to play too much in the defensive zone and they'll be fine.

Still don't think Weise is good at defence (or offence really), he's a huge cheater in the defensive zone, he doesn't come close to being as good as Prust this year and I say that as someone who thought Prust was near AHL level last year(but he was pretty clearly injured). He's fast, I'll give him that but grinder =/ good at defence.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
Andrighetto isn't ready to play in the NHL yet, why is that so hard to understand, 3 points in 3 games is nothing in the big scheme of things.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Meh.

I think we can all agree that Weise shouldn't be in the top 9 and Tangradi shouldn't be in the lineup, regardless of the record. As for the rest, I don't really care.

Nah, respectfully I think Weise should be in the top-nine. He can open up space for two small skill player linemates, make a good pass, finish, win board battles, police things a bit, and he's probably our fastest skater. What's the downside?

I'm with you on Tangradi.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Unless that means Eller is good to go for tomorrow night, why would he demote Ghetto to make room for Tangradi... :facepalm:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Again, not a fan of Therrien but he is obviously trying to ice a lineup that can match the Duck's size and physicality for tomorrow nights game. That is what I see from this mornings practice lines.

Rene Bourque-Ryan Getzlaf-Devante Smith-Pelly
Matt Beleskey-Ryan Kesler-Kyle Palmieri
Andrew Cogliano-Rickard Rakell-Jakob Silfverberg
Patrick Maroon-Nate Thompson-Tim Jackman

Cam Fowler-Ben Lovejoy
Mark Fistric-Hampus Lindholm
Clayton Stoner-Sami Vatanen

They have like... 4 physical guys...

Andrighetto isn't ready to play in the NHL yet, why is that so hard to understand, 3 points in 3 games is nothing in the big scheme of things.

Tangrabust is ready tho #WaiversReject

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I think he's weaning Ghetto out of the lineup so that when Eller comes back there's less of a controversy. A crappy way to treat a player, but i guess it is what it is.

Andro didn't really have spot in the lineup tbh, I don't think he should be on the big club. Sending him down is fine, he had a few points and little tease to the league, I like this approach myself. The weise on the 2nd line thing needs to end immediately though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad