Lines for 2015/16 season

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
The lines most in question are 3 and 4 obviously. There's a few combinations I've seen on here that I like, but I'll post my own anyways.

Jenner-Joey-Saad
Foligno-Dubi-Atkinson
Hartnell-Wennberg-Calvert
Bourque-Campbell-Clarkson

1st line: Absolutely nightmarish forechecking and size, will be too much for most teams to handle on D.

2nd line: This could be a first line on a lot of teams. All 3 players can pass well, and put the puck in the net. Would be fun to watch.

3rd line: This is where my lineup differs from the ones I've seen on here. Obviously, Hartnell and Wenberg are great together, and I was really sad to see Dano go. When putting Calvert on this line my thinking was that he's the player that could most easily imitate Dano's style of play, which is why I think he's a good fit here, even though he's switching sides.

4th line: Size, and scoring potential. Although, they might be a bit lacking on the defensive end for a typical 4th line. I also don't think this line has enough speed.

Sadly, I don't think there will be any huge surprises in camp, but the above lines will be intact for all of 10 games probably. :sarcasm:

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Saad-Johansen-Foligno
Jenner-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Hartnell-Wennberg-Clarkson
Calvert-Campbell-Bourque/Boll

Maybe switch Calvert and Clarkson but that's what I see going down. Each line has a good mix of youth and veteran players, speed & toughness.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The lines most in question are 3 and 4 obviously. There's a few combinations I've seen on here that I like, but I'll post my own anyways.

Jenner-Joey-Saad
Foligno-Dubi-Atkinson
Bourque-Campbell-Clarkson

1st line: Absolutely nightmarish forechecking and size, will be too much for most teams to handle on D.

2nd line: This could be a first line on a lot of teams. All 3 players can pass well, and put the puck in the net. Would be fun to watch.

3rd line: This is where my lineup differs from the ones I've seen on here. Obviously, Hartnell and Wenberg are great together, and I was really sad to see Dano go. When putting Calvert on this line my thinking was that he's the player that could most easily imitate Dano's style of play, which is why I think he's a good fit here, even though he's switching sides.

4th line: Size, and scoring potential. Although, they might be a bit lacking on the defensive end for a typical 4th line. I also don't think this line has enough speed.

Sadly, I don't think there will be any huge surprises in camp, but the above lines will be intact for all of 10 games probably. :sarcasm:

I like these combos a lot. In fact I think I posted them a month ago! I agree that Calvert is the best bet to keep the magic going on the Wennberg/Hartnell line.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
The only issue I have with the forward lines is where to put Rene Bourque. Just from the small sample size he had with us, I thought he looked good and pretty dangerous. Assuming he doesn't dog it in camp, I think he makes the squad with a good chance to be a contributor, whereas most have written him off already as either sitting in the pressbox/AHL/salary dump trade candidate.

In the few games I've watched again on youtube where he played for us and I believe was playing with Joey and Cam, he was always driving the net, parking in front of the net and generally doing what a good power forward does and was scoring goals. Dude has nothing to lose after being sent through waivers last year and being traded multiple times.

Only thing is I don't see him having much success on a 4th line with Gregory Campbell and David Clarkson (potentially). Remember, he's only a little over one year removed from a hat trick in the ECF when his team was facing elimination. Will he be motivated during the regular season? Who knows, but I just don't see him as an effective 4th liner. He could probably play on any line with some success, but I'd put him on the 3rd line with Wennberg and Hartnell. Let Calvert add some skill to the 4th line, and shelter minutes so he can potentially play a full season.

In the right situation, a healthy and motivated Bourque could surely pot 20-25 goals. This forward depth is insane! :yo:

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I like these combos a lot. In fact I think I posted them a month ago! I agree that Calvert is the best bet to keep the magic going on the Wennberg/Hartnell line.

Yeah I just think Calvert and Wennberg have shown outstanding chemistry in their short time together. Really I'm not sold on keeping Hartnell and Wennberg together. I think Hartnell and Dano had chemistry, probably some of the best I've witnessed, but I just dont see it between 43 and 41.

Here are some pairs that I think have been money together, whether it was for a short period of time or not.

Jenner - Johansen
Foligno - Johansen
Calvert - Atkinson
Calvert - Wennberg
Hartnell - Atkinson
Bourque - Atkinson
Dubinsky - Foligno
Calvert - Dubinsky - Atkinson

and some old ones:
Hartnell - Dano
Dubisnky - Anisimov
Mackenzie-Letestu-Boll
Jenner - Joe - Horton
Torres/Chimera-Brassard-Voracek
Nash-Fedorov-Vyborny
Chimera-Malhotra-Letowski

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Yeah I just think Calvert and Wennberg have shown outstanding chemistry in their short time together. Really I'm not sold on keeping Hartnell and Wennberg together. I think Hartnell and Dano had chemistry, probably some of the best I've witnessed, but I just dont see it between 43 and 41.

Here are some pairs that I think have been money together, whether it was for a short period of time or not.

Jenner - Johansen
Foligno - Johansen
Calvert - Atkinson
Calvert - Wennberg
Hartnell - Atkinson
Bourque - Atkinson
Dubinsky - Foligno
Calvert - Dubinsky - Atkinson

and some old ones:
Hartnell - Dano
Dubisnky - Anisimov
Mackenzie-Letestu-Boll
Jenner - Joe - Horton
Torres/Chimera-Brassard-Voracek
Nash-Fedorov-Vyborny
Chimera-Malhotra-Letowski

When did Calvert play with Wennberg? I'll take your word for it I just can't remember.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
When did Calvert play with Wennberg? I'll take your word for it I just can't remember.

They played together in almost every exhibition game last year. Other than that, I cant really say. Pretty sure the last game I rewatched that they were together was 10/24 vs San Jose, so they might've not been put back together much after October.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I believe Jarmo planned to address the defense with what he did at forward (Saad and Campbell), knowing he may not be able to "solve" the blueline this offseason, and with an eye toward letting some of that blueline depth sort itself out. Things could change by the deadline, but that's how I see things right now.

I'll just take this approach; I think we addressed the D in the offseason. I think the only thing he was doing was looking for some veteran support in the event of injury or poor performance.

We've kind of blew our wad and there really isn't cap space going forward when we address FA's, even with the removal of contracts we won't extend moving forward. There really isn't much to trade that isn't part of the core. Anyone that's moved is probably someone who isn't performing to the level they want.

I'll wait until camp to give any thoughts on lines. Hartnell and Wennberg seems a safe bet. I would like to see how a couple of the wildcards prepared for the season (Boll, Bourque, Clarkson - Golo, Paliotta, Connauton, and maybe even a Madaisky on defense although that seems more like a mid-season consideration).

Without seeing them play we don't know if Saad is a better fit with Johansen or Dubinsky.

I just think there are too many possibilities and this is a bit of a pointless exercise until we see them on the ice.

thebus2288*

I think we addressed the D in the offseason.

We addressed it in early March just after losing 6 games in a row and just before finishing the month 11-3 and the year, 16-4.

Anyone that's moved is probably someone who isn't performing to the level they want.

I think that's where you subconsciously got this idea from....

Sabo0290

Lost along the wing
Aug 28, 2015
Dayton
Aaron Portzline
Aaron Portzline – ‏@Aportzline

F1: Saad - Johansen - Folignos
F2: Jenner - Dubinsky - Clarkson
F3: Hartnell - Wennberg - Atkinson
F4: Calvert - Campbell - Boll/Bourque
10:48 AM - 16 Sep 2015

I don't know if this has been posted, but porty tweeted this as an informed speculation of the lines.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Aaron Portzline
Aaron Portzline – ‏@Aportzline

F1: Saad - Johansen - Folignos
F2: Jenner - Dubinsky - Clarkson
F3: Hartnell - Wennberg - Atkinson
F4: Calvert - Campbell - Boll/Bourque
10:48 AM - 16 Sep 2015

I don't know if this has been posted, but porty tweeted this as an informed speculation of the lines.

I think most of us assumed these combos were a possibilty, team seems to be hoping Clarkson gels a little more with like minded players. Sucks seeing where Calvert is slotted but that probably wont last

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Why won't that last for Calvert? Just about every suggestion had him penciled in as a 4 line guy and with the talent at the rest of the forward spots unless there's an injury, that's where he's going to play.

thebus2288*

I'm of the opinion also that Atkinson and Calvert should move up and Clarkson all the way down.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Why won't that last for Calvert? Just about every suggestion had him penciled in as a 4 line guy and with the talent at the rest of the forward spots unless there's an injury, that's where he's going to play.

Clarkson will get his chance but there is no guarentee he capitalizes on it

Saad-Joey-Foligno/Atkinson
Jenner-Dubi-Atkinson/Foligno
Bourque-Campbell-Clarkson with Boll and Bourque rotating depending on how they are playing

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
No Willy Karlsson?

I'd love for him to make the team since I bought his game issued jersey last season, but this is one deep forward group for him to crack. Wennberg really improved his play to finish the season. Blue Jackets don't seem like the team to want to bury contracts in the AHL either. The jackets also have Bjorkstrand and Rychel that are probably about ready to play in the NHL as well.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
If there is a major regression in Wennberg's game (which I doubt will happen), would we see Jenner slot down into the #3C position?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Bringing this back from the grave. Post trade what do you think the lines are going to be?!

posted mine earlier.

Saad-Wennberg-Foligno
Calvert-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Hartnell-Jenner-Karlsson
Clarkson-Campbell-Borque

Johnson-Savard
Murray-Jones
Tyutin-Golo

Bob
Mac

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Bringing this back from the grave. Post trade what do you think the lines are going to be?!

posted mine earlier.

Saad-Wennberg-Foligno
Hartnell-Jenner-Karlsson
Clarkson-Campbell-Borque

Johnson-Savard
Murray-Jones
Tyutin-Golo

Bob
Mac

With Calvert hurt though Id be in favor of
Hartnell-Wennberg-Saad
Foligno-Dubi-Atkinson

Dont really see a reason to break up Hartnell-Wennberg-Saad right now.
3rd line is guess could be Jenner-Karlsson-Anderson but i wish Rychel were up to take that LW spot and Anderson moves to the 4th

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg

posted mine earlier.

Saad-Wennberg-Foligno
Hartnell-Jenner-Karlsson
Clarkson-Campbell-Borque

Johnson-Savard
Murray-Jones
Tyutin-Golo

Bob
Mac

I see more of it like this:

Foligno - Dubi - Atkinson