Lines for 2015/16 season

ernmorris

Jun 9, 2008
I'll probably get killed for this, but this is how I would line 'em up day 1.

Saad - Johansen - Clarkson
Jenner - Dubinsky - Atkinson
Hartnell - Wennberg - Foligno
Calvert - Campbell - Borque

I'm worried that having a 3rd line with both Hartnell and Clarkson just won't work. To me it makes more sense to have a more skilled player like Foligno or even Atkinson on that line. Borque didn't look out of place on the top line with RyJo when they played last year so if Clarkson isn't a fit, I would go back to Borque. I honestly don't think that Richards can go wrong with the lines so to an extent I think we're splitting hairs. It should be fun!

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I'll probably get killed for this, but this is how I would line 'em up day 1.

Saad - Johansen - Clarkson
Calvert - Campbell - Borque

I'm worried that having a 3rd line with both Hartnell and Clarkson just won't work. To me it makes more sense to have a more skilled player like Foligno or even Atkinson on that line. Borque didn't look out of place on the top line with RyJo when they played last year so if Clarkson isn't a fit, I would go back to Borque. I honestly don't think that Richards can go wrong with the lines so to an extent I think we're splitting hairs. It should be fun!

I would highly doubt this combination happens. Two below average skaters would hurt on the same line. Clarkson would be a good net presence on another line.

Eikka

May 21, 2015
Here's my take:

Saad - Johansen - Foligno
Hartnell - Dubinsky - Atkinson
Jenner - Wennberg - Clarkson
Calvert - Campbell - Bourque

Murray - Savard
Johnson - Goloubef
Tyutin - Prout

I'd say the most obvious ones are Saad, Centermen, Clarkson, 4th line, Murray, Savard and Johnson. Other forwards could be mixed in different ways based on what works and what doesn't. Dubi and Wennberg could also swap places.

Spots #4,5&6 on defence are a dog fight at training camp. I really like Golo based on what I saw late in the season. He could be a good pair for Johnson and compliment Johnson's offensive game with some safe, sound and smart defensive game.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I'm still holding out hope that Bourque will be traded. I also think that Bjorkstrand will be on the club Day 1. So my lines are as such:

Hartnell - Wennberg - Bjorkstrand
Calvert - Campbell - Clarkson

Easily allows Todd Richards to roll four lines and our top nine would be a top 10 group IMO. This has the potential to be a pretty high scoring group. Would love to see a kid like Milano make a big push too.

Each of the top three lines is a combination of size, speed, strength and skill. Offensively, this club can compete for a Cup now, the question will be with the defense. If Jarmo can make that one last improvement in the near future, I think we're going to be one happy base of fans.

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
Saad - Johansen - Jenner
Calvert - Dubinsky - Atkinson
Bourque - Campbell - Clarkson

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'm still holding out hope that Bourque will be traded. I also think that Bjorkstrand will be on the club Day 1. So my lines are as such:

Hartnell - Wennberg - Bjorkstrand
Calvert - Campbell - Clarkson

Easily allows Todd Richards to roll four lines and our top nine would be a top 10 group IMO. This has the potential to be a pretty high scoring group. Would love to see a kid like Milano make a big push too.

Each of the top three lines is a combination of size, speed, strength and skill. Offensively, this club can compete for a Cup now, the question will be with the defense. If Jarmo can make that one last improvement in the near future, I think we're going to be one happy base of fans.

Only thing I would change would be Milano over Bjorkstrand. But sadly, Borque will likely start the season in the NHL forcing all the rookies to the AHL.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Bored with the other threads - and only one day from September. Here's what I was thinking about trying, barring any surprises in camp.

22 Man Roster...

Saad - Johansen - Jenner
Hartnell - Dubinsky - Foligno
Calvert - Wennberg - Atkinson
Boll

Johnson - Savard
Tyutin - Murray
Connauton - Prout
Goloubef

Bob
Mac

Johansen with two aggressive power forwards could make for an incredibly tough line to shut down.

Foligno and Dubinsky were money down the stretch. This line could match up against the other team's best and annoy them, or serve as a secondary scoring line.

Calvert and Wennberg have shown good chemistry, as well as Calvert and Atkinson. This line is very fast, very crafty, and definitely annoying to play against. We saw it a little bit last pre-season, but not any in the regular season. I think you'll see Wennberg at least 10 pounds up from last season, and size shouldnt be much of a concern anymore. If used to their strengths this line could be valuable.

Bourque-Campbell-Clarkson. Three guys who have their previous fan bases saying that they can be good if they werent paid so much or played so often - works as a 4th line for me. That money is paid, time to move on and focus on the on-ice portion. Campbell will be featured prominently on PK. Bourque or Clarkson could get netfront duty on PP. They would be asked to play physically and play hard for 10-12 minutes a game, and I think that's when these three players are at their best. Two 20-ish goal-scorers with chipson their shoulders and a team-first utility guy.

Boll the extra man. Not taking playing time from any kids that would be better of in Lake Erie, will be ready if the opponent calls it.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Bored with the other threads - and only one day from September. Here's what I was thinking about trying, barring any surprises in camp.

22 Man Roster...

Saad - Johansen - Jenner
Hartnell - Dubinsky - Foligno
Calvert - Wennberg - Atkinson
Boll

Johnson - Savard
Tyutin - Murray
Connauton - Prout
Goloubef

Bob
Mac

Johansen with two aggressive power forwards could make for an incredibly tough line to shut down.

Foligno and Dubinsky were money down the stretch. This line could match up against the other team's best and annoy them, or serve as a secondary scoring line.

Calvert and Wennberg have shown good chemistry, as well as Calvert and Atkinson. This line is very fast, very crafty, and definitely annoying to play against. We saw it a little bit last pre-season, but not any in the regular season. I think you'll see Wennberg at least 10 pounds up from last season, and size shouldnt be much of a concern anymore. If used to their strengths this line could be valuable.

Bourque-Campbell-Clarkson. Three guys who have their previous fan bases saying that they can be good if they werent paid so much or played so often - works as a 4th line for me. That money is paid, time to move on and focus on the on-ice portion. Campbell will be featured prominently on PK. Bourque or Clarkson could get netfront duty on PP. They would be asked to play physically and play hard for 10-12 minutes a game, and I think that's when these three players are at their best. Two 20-ish goal-scorers with chipson their shoulders and a team-first utility guy.

Boll the extra man. Not taking playing time from any kids that would be better of in Lake Erie, will be ready if the opponent calls it.

Agree on the 22 man roster. saves cap space and gives all the kids lots of playing time.

Not sure about the top 9 mix though. I'd prefer

Saad-Joey-Atkinson
Jenner-Dubi-Foligno
Hartnell-Wennberg-Calvert

Would hate to break up Hartnell-Wennberg until it doesn't work anymore. And I like the idea of Cam on the first line to see if his late season improvement can continue. But who knows? And not sure if Calvert can play RW. Switch him and Hartnell?

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Saad - Johansen - Foligno (best first line this franchise has ever had)
Hartnell - Wennberg - Atkinson (Wennberg is a table setter, Hartnell is good with the kids)
Jenner - Dubinsky - Clarkson (beastly third line!)
Calvert - Campbell - Bourque/Boll

Johnson - Savard
Tyutin - Murray
Cotton - Golobef/Prout

I have a feeling there's going to be a wildcard coming from training camp.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
As far as the D goes, I don't think we'll be seeing any of Golo/Prout/Connauton/Paliotta all on the same pairing. One of the vets will be on their pairing.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Poking at my own lineup, Calvert is really too good to have on the 4th line, but with injuries, I doubt he'll be there for long. What I'd REALLY love to see is for him to switch over to right wing.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
As far as the D goes, I don't think we'll be seeing any of Golo/Prout/Connauton/Paliotta all on the same pairing. One of the vets will be on their pairing.

I think that's fair. The one thing I noticed trying to put together D lines is we've got some guys back there that can shoot! Really wish we had a true defensive defenseman. Tyutin is the best one of those we have.

Maybe Dillon Heatherington or Michael Paliotta will take a big step during training camp?

Last edited:

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Poking at my own lineup, Calvert is really too good to have on the 4th line, but with injuries, I doubt he'll be there for long. What I'd REALLY love to see is for him to switch over to right wing.

He's scored some nice goals coming down the right wing too - like his short-side, short handed goal vs Pittsburgh. If he was able to make that adjustment, that would really help balance out the wings.

Hartnell, Jenner, Saad, Rychel, Milano on the left and Foligno, Atkinson, Calvert, Clarkson, Bjorkstrand on the right would work for me.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Calvert is a role player; let him roll with it.

Sabo0290

Lost along the wing
Aug 28, 2015
Dayton
I'm just wondering what you guys would think about a saad-wenneberg-atkinson line. Lots of speed and puck skill, not much size. Possibly help having some guys who get back quick to take some pressure off the d. I fully expect saad to be paired with joey, but if lines are shaken I wouldn't mind seeing what they could produce.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The more and more I think about it, I really want Jenner to move to the center. Idk why I just feel like he would dominate in the middle, we just don't have a need to move him back anymore.

To the post above, that line would really depend on Wennberg. If he could win faceoffs and play with the confidence he had in the last few months I think that line could excel. I mean really you could plug anyone in that center spot on the roster and I think it would do well.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Agree on the 22 man roster. saves cap space and gives all the kids lots of playing time.

Not sure about the top 9 mix though. I'd prefer

Saad-Joey-Atkinson
Jenner-Dubi-Foligno
Hartnell-Wennberg-Calvert

Would hate to break up Hartnell-Wennberg until it doesn't work anymore. And I like the idea of Cam on the first line to see if his late season improvement can continue. But who knows? And not sure if Calvert can play RW. Switch him and Hartnell?

These are the combo's ive been posting. I think these groups will atleast get a shot but im sure Clarkson will get a long look in the top 9 first

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Saad-Johansen-Jenner
Foligno-Dubi-Atkinson
Hartnell-Wennberg-Bourque
Calvert-Campbell-Clarkson

still think this is how I want to see them…am sure will change once they hit the pre-season

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Saad-Johansen-Jenner
Foligno-Dubi-Atkinson

still think this is how I want to see them…am sure will change once they hit the pre-season

im down with this. I might flip Cam and Jenner for the speed (Saad and Cam on the same line could out skate alot of teams), but I am fine either way.

This might be the best forward group we've ever had as a franchise.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
im down with this. I might flip Cam and Jenner for the speed (Saad and Cam on the same line could out skate alot of teams), but I am fine either way.

This might be the best forward group we've ever had as a franchise.

Change might be to is and I agree.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Saad-Johansen-Jenner
Foligno-Dubi-Atkinson

Amazing deep at forward aren't we? Nothing looks weak in there.

We're a bit sketchy on defense; but a healthy Murray and the emergence of one or two of the younger D and we could be in good shape by the middle of the season back there.

A full season with a healthy Bob and on top of his game? That would be soooo amazing.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Amazing deep at forward aren't we? Nothing looks weak in there.

We're a bit sketchy on defense; but a healthy Murray and the emergence of one or two of the younger D and we could be in good shape by the middle of the season back there.

A full season with a healthy Bob and on top of his game? That would be soooo amazing.

I'm with you on all three of those. I'll just add...

I believe Jarmo planned to address the defense with what he did at forward (Saad and Campbell), knowing he may not be able to "solve" the blueline this offseason, and with an eye toward letting some of that blueline depth sort itself out. Things could change by the deadline, but that's how I see things right now.

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
I'm with you on all three of those. I'll just add...

I believe Jarmo planned to address the defense with what he did at forward (Saad and Campbell), knowing he may not be able to "solve" the blueline this offseason, and with an eye toward letting some of that blueline depth sort itself out. Things could change by the deadline, but that's how I see things right now.

Agree with you and Blah. Hoping to see one or two of our young D step it up. I like our forward group. Excited to get this train rolling!

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I mentioned something similar a while back (this may be a little unorthodox)

Line 1: Jenner-Johansen-Atkinson
Jenner and Joey have always had chemistry and use each others' strengths well, and Atkinson's speed matched with Joey's playmaking has worked well in the past, too.

Line 2a: Hartnell-Wennberg-Saad
Similar to the 43-41-56 line we ran at the end of the year, Saad brings a lot of speed and scoring. Hartsy will park his butt in front of the net, Wenns will be dishing it out and Saad will be doing more of the dirty work.

Line 2b: Foligno-Dubinsky-Bjorkstrand/Milano/Rychel (if either of them surprise in camp)
Why break up the chemistry between Fligs and Dubi? Worked well with Anisimov on the right wing at the end of the year, too...give one of the kids a chance to play with the gritty veterans to help create scoring opportunities. Also a valuable way for them to learn to play both ways with Nick and Dubi

Line 4: Calvert-Campbell-Clarkson
Calvert isn't a fourth liner, but he fit well there last year and brought needed energy and speed (which also makes up for Campbell and Clarkson's lack of speed). Gritty, they'll play somewhat big

Bourque/Boll as extras

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad