Pre-Game Talk: Lines before the Season Opener

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Second line looks neat.

Where is Brome? Why no Rasputin?

Weird Flip and Gagner probably need to swap spots, unless they're trying to jumpstart WF's confidence. Ideally he'd be on the taxi, but you can't give a guy an A and then waive him, even if nobody claims him.

Edit - Thanks to @Henkka for pointing out that Brome is on the roster, and that I simply can't read good and stuff.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Hronek's WOWY numbers with/without Nemeth
Stat With vs Without
CF 50.15 vs 46.6
GF 53.13 vs 28.75

So Hronek was MUCH better with Nemeth than without.
Despite having one of his lowest ozone deployment with Nemeth (about 10 percent less than his overall average.)

Not sure why Dekeyser was even considered.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Second line looks neat.

Where is Brome? Why no Rasputin?

Weird Flip and Gagner probably need to swap spots, unless they're trying to jumpstart WF's confidence. Ideally he'd be on the taxi, but you can't give a guy an A and then waive him, even if nobody claims him.

Apparently Ras didn't make the starting lineup out of camp and is a few players deep on the depth chart.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hronek's WOWY numbers with/without Nemeth
Stat With vs Without
CF 50.15 vs 46.6
GF 53.13 vs 28.75

So Hronek was MUCH better with Nemeth than without.
Despite having one of his lowest ozone deployment with Nemeth (about 10 percent less than his overall average.)

Not sure why Dekeyser was even considered.
When Hronek wasn't playing with Nemeth, he was playing with Daley, Cholo, Ericsson, and Bowey. Of course both of them have better stats when they were playing with each other, lol. Doesn't mean they are the best possible combination with the current roster.

Stats mean nothing without context.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
It's still practise. No one knows the opening day lines.

Brome seemed to be on the same line you analyzed (with Filppula and Gagner).

Yeah, sorry about that, I can't read very well, apparently.

Apparently Ras didn't make the starting lineup out of camp and is a few players deep on the depth chart.

That boggles the mind a little, butthay, I'm not the coach.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Season starts tomorrow, you think Blash is going to scramble the lines the day before the opener?

He did scramble them after first practise, then after second practise, and now again. They have different D-pairs all the time

So who knows? And there's 24 hours of time for somebody to get injured.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He did scramble them after first practise, then after second practise, and now again. They have different D-pairs all the time

So who knows? And there's 24 hours of time for somebody to get injured.
LOL, yeah I guess anything is possible with Blash and this craptastic roster.

There's also the possibility that Ryan could be ready to play tomorrow if he's on the ice today.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The thing that I like about this roster right now is our 2nd line of Namestnikov - Fabbri - Zadina has the potential to be pretty good.

Both Namestnikov and Fabbri can split the center duties and are 40-50ish point players that are hard workers if nothing else. In a year or two, if their chemistry holds, they could be slotted down to the 3rd line when some of our prospects or a trade target move into a 2nd line role (Raymond, Veleno or a FA/trade center)

In a way this is kind of how Tampa's prospects came along behind Johnson, Killorn and Palat and then grew into scoring roles.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The thing that I like about this roster right now is our 2nd line of Namestnikov - Fabbri - Zadina has the potential to be pretty good.

Both Namestnikov and Fabbri can split the center duties and are 40-50ish point players that are hard workers if nothing else. In a year or two, if their chemistry holds, they could be slotted down to the 3rd line when some of our prospects or a trade target move into a 2nd line role (Raymond, Veleno or a FA/trade center)

In a way this is kind of how Tampa's prospects came along behind Johnson, Killorn and Palat and then grew into scoring roles.
It's a small line with no speed, but at least Fabbri gets a shot at playing 2C.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
It's a small line with no speed, but at least Fabbri gets a shot at playing 2C.

It doesn't have any speedsters but I wouldn't say it has no speed. Zadina is pretty quick and like I said before, Fabbri and Namestnikov are good workers. Lots of hustle to their game. Small for sure, but they're all really competitive. I don't think that we'll be complaining about them taking any shifts off.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
So mixed signals here. They get rid of Abby, yet Nielsen not only makes the team, but gets an A. HOW? WHY?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
When Hronek wasn't playing with Nemeth, he was playing with Daley, Cholo, Ericsson, and Bowey. Of course both of them have better stats when they were playing with each other, lol. Doesn't mean they are the best possible combination with the current roster.

Stats mean nothing without context.

Nice context. It doesn't change my point.
Hronek had a very good season with Nemeth.
If you can achieve that with Nemeth, why f*** it up?
Now, if Dekeyser is ready, he can solidify another pairing, potentially.

Reactions: Frk It

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Nice context. It doesn't change my point.
Hronek had a very good season with Nemeth.
If you can achieve that with Nemeth, why f*** it up?
Now, if Dekeyser is ready, he can solidify another pairing, potentially.
Hronek also had good numbers with DDK the prior season.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Hronek also had good numbers with DDK the prior season.

Over two years Hronek has a better CF without Dekeyser than with him.
Hronek has a better GF without Dekeyser than with him.

By the way, the same is true of Dekeyser. Better without Hronek than with him.

Granted, that was Hronek's rookie year.
But the Hronek's without numbers also include last year's disaster season, which should theoretically hurt make his "With" numbers from the previous year relatively strong - but they don't.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Has the potential to be awful, too.
Calling Namestnikov a 40-50 point player...is a stretch. He had one 40-point season, centering two of the highest scoring wingers in the NHL.
Fabbri's had a few good "pace" seasons, but he's got something to prove, too. Especially at center.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Has the potential to be awful, too.
Calling Namestnikov a 40-50 point player...is a stretch. He had one 40-point season, centering two of the highest scoring wingers in the NHL.
Fabbri's had a few good "pace" seasons, but he's got something to prove, too. Especially at center.

Agreed on all points. Especially with Fabbri at center. Its easy for players who played wing when moved to center to be a winger that happens to take faceoffs. It'll be important to see if he can actually handle centering duties.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Also...now we'll get to see if some of the dead weight we cast off, over the summer, was part of our problem or if there is still some dead weight still to be shed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad