Pre-Game Talk: Lines before the Season Opener

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Blashill said he wanted to limit Dekeyers ice time to start the year so not surprised to see him start on the second pair. It will be interesting to see how long he stays there cause he is likely one of the top 2 d on this team (assuming he quickly returns to form).

Reactions: William Rusco

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Blashill said he wanted to limit Dekeyers ice time to start the year so not surprised to see him start on the second pair. It will be interesting to see how long he stays there cause he is likely one of the top 2 d on this team (assuming he quickly returns to form).

Think Nemeth-Hronek is just fine, like it was last year the only legit pair. They had great stats together. When split up, both suffered very bad with different partner.

Think also, that Staal will drop from the Top6 for Djoos at some point. Djoos-Stecher would be smallish pair together, so I'd separate bigger DeKeyser and Merrill with them.

Then it could go:

Nemeth - Hronek
DeKeyser - Stecher
Djoos - Merrill
(Staal)

Reactions: wingerdinger

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Can't get too upset over the lineups considering the roster. Would like some more young guys but oh well. PP is... interesting.

I just hope we see consistent effort on the ice unlike last year.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Those PP lines... yikes. Fabbri at the net makes little sense to me but we'll see. No Brome and Ras on the taxi makes this even worse looking.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
what is Nielsen supposed to do on that fourth line? If he can't handle a top9 role just bench him and put Smith or Rasmussen on that fourth line and give it some character.
He’s defensively responsible I’m guessing. Probably trying to put together a shutdown line with PK bodies on it. It’s a bummer how hard Nielsen has fallen in Detroit because he was a really solid player for NYI.

Reactions: waltdetroit

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I hope it’s not temporary. Been asking for forever to get Dekeyser off the top pairing.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I’m just excited to see a (hopefully) improved defense. I hope they can stay relatively healthy in this shortened season.

I hope Smith gets a fair shot at the fourth line soon. I really don’t care for Erne

Reactions: Gniwder

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
He’s defensively responsible I’m guessing. Probably trying to put together a shutdown line with PK bodies on it. It’s a bummer how hard Nielsen has fallen in Detroit because he was a really solid player for NYI.

That's probably it. It seems like the Wings are more keen to rely on Nielsen for his defensive play than for his offense that's seemed to dry up over the past couple years. Similar to last year, Nielsen, Glendening and eventually Helm are probably going to be the 3 main forwards for PK and take D draws and play more of shutdown role at 5v5.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Gagner over Brome on the PP? I hope that gets changed pretty quickly. And Hronek not on the top PP unit might hurt.

I mean you might be right, but none of us have ever seen Brome in a Wings uniform for a game. What is this based on? Just think he can't be any worse than Gagner?

EDIT: Just saw your post in the Brome thread, so no response required!

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
We're still a bottom of the league team for sure but man the roster looks noticeably less worse than last season. Hoping Zadina takes a huge step this year.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
As expected, this team looks better but nowhere near good. And this is before the inevitable injuries which will lead to even more scrambling of lines.

Oh joy.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I’m just excited to see a (hopefully) improved defense. I hope they can stay relatively healthy in this shortened season.

I hope Smith gets a fair shot at the fourth line soon. I really don’t care for Erne
Erne will get scratched when Ryan is ready to play. He's the only AHLer in the lineup.

For a team with no talent, this team is incredibly soft. This team is built for a non-checking league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad