Komarov-Holl-Clarks
Winnik-Santor-Fratt/Booth/Ashton

Phan-Robi
Gard-Polak
Rielly-Fran/Holz/Percy

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
If the #1 line or Dion/Bernier are hurt. We are looking at a very high pick next summer. Same team, perhaps weaker infact.

I dunno, I feel like the bottom 6 is MUCH better this year. Defensively and grit-wise, Winnik and Komarov will add a lot. Plus Santorelli is a very good offensive player by bottom 6 standards, and will help in that tertiary scoring role that we lacked all of last season. Defensively we've also added more grit and put guys on their proper sides.

I have no idea how good this team will be over 82 games, but all around on paper, I believe we are stronger than last year for sure.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
it also helps that we we have nylander as depth, and that the likes of leivo/percy/mckegg/carrick are much more ready to help this year than they were last.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
of course, the biggest improvement is that mcclement is gone, so randy can't play one of the worst players in hockey 20+ minutes anymore.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I dunno, I feel like the bottom 6 is MUCH better this year. Defensively and grit-wise, Winnik and Komarov will add a lot. Plus Santorelli is a very good offensive player by bottom 6 standards, and will help in that tertiary scoring role that we lacked all of last season. Defensively we've also added more grit and put guys on their proper sides.

I have no idea how good this team will be over 82 games, but all around on paper, I believe we are stronger than last year for sure.

I am a realist, not sure I see a different and much improved team this year. To me its the same cast and same bad things creaping into our game.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

That was said last season with the Bolland/Clarkson/Raymond additions, to go along with Kulemin, McClement, etc.

Bottom 6 might be better, or it might not. Kontiola is on the Marlies and Booth is injured for a month, so it's already not looking as good as it did "on paper" a month ago.

Is Komarov an upgrade over Kulemin? Is Booth an upgrade over Raymond? Is Winnik an upgrade over McClement? Etc. If theyre not obvious upgrades, then I think the bottom 6 being better or worse than last season is pretty much a toss up.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I am a realist, not sure I see a different and much improved team this year. To me its the same cast and same bad things creaping into our game.

i'm not sure you realize just how bad our bottom six was last year.

we essentially played the entire year with two really bad fourth lines every game.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON

I feel you. And I'm not trying to be a homer, but looking at the personnel in the bottom 6 this year, mixed with the potential addition of a couple of hungry rookies (Leivo, Kozun, etc.), I think the forward group will be more balanced and defensively responsible this year. And top 6 wise, it is at worst the same as last year (assuming Kadri and JVR don't improve, although I see both improving even more).

Will this be good enough to make playoffs? I don't know. Will we look more organized and competent in the defensive zone? I think so. Will our top guys be less tired because minutes will be more evenly distributed? Yes.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
That was said last season with the Bolland/Clarkson/Raymond additions, to go along with Kulemin, McClement, etc.

Bottom 6 might be better, or it might not. Kontiola is on the Marlies and Booth is injured for a month, so it's already not looking as good as it did "on paper" a month ago.

Is Komarov an upgrade over Kulemin? Is Booth an upgrade over Raymond? Is Winnik an upgrade over McClement? Etc. If theyre not obvious upgrades, then I think the bottom 6 being better or worse than last season is pretty much a toss up.

Komarov > Kulemin - as an all around PKer + grit + agitator role
Winnik > McClement - just as good defensively, more grit, more offensive potential
Booth < Raymond - I don't see Booth stay healthy, we likely won't get the same offensive output we did out of Raymond, but I have high hopes for Leivo to replace Raymond, and Clarkson to rebound a little offensively.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
i'm not sure you realize just how bad our bottom six was last year.

we essentially played the entire year with two really bad fourth lines every game.

ya and the top two lines turned the puck over like an Italian pizza maker - combined with a defense that is addicted to sloppy play.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

if the leafs let both nylander and leivo make the team, then the improvement should be significant.

there would be some question as to whether one of nylander or leivo can replace raymond in the top 6, but otherwise the bottom 6 would be improved dramatically.

holland = holland
clarkson = clarkson
winnik => kulemin

santo >> mcclement
komo >> bodie
leivo/nylander >> orr

bolland's 23gms of 0.5ppg and poor possession stats are not much to replace, and likely get more than replaced by bozak being healthier anyways. one would hope that holland improves with experience too.

of course, if randy decides that guys like orr are regular starters, then any improvement dwindles.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
ya and the top two lines turned the puck over like an Italian pizza maker - combined with a defense that is addicted to sloppy play.

yeah i don't see much hope for defensive improvement as long as randy is here.

but if randy plays the right guys we should see a pretty huge increase in offense over the black hole bottom six we iced last year, which should make the team better.

of course, that trusts that randy doesn't fall back in love with the black holes again, which is a definite possibility.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-Santorelli
Leivo-Holland-Clarkson
Komarov-Winnik-Frattin
Bodie, Booth, Orr

Bodie already with the Marlies, Surprised you'd take Frattin over Kozun, Also Santorelli is a C, Winnik is not a C

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Leivo
Komarov-Holland-Clarkson
Winnik-Santorelli-Kozun
Frattin, Orr (ugh)

I think the bottom 2 lines are completely interchangeable depending on who has it going offensively.

I honestly have no idea how anyone would take Frattin over Kozun. He's younger, faster with more offensive upside and you've got enough bottom 6 size

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Leivo
Kozun - Holland - Clarkson
Winnik - Santorelli - Komarov
Ashton
Orr

I have a feeling there will be a consistent shuffle on the wings unless one or two players step up to perform this season outside of the top 3

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Leivo
Kozun - Holland - Clarkson
Winnik - Santorelli - Komarov
Ashton
Orr

I have a feeling there will be a consistent shuffle on the wings unless one or two players step up to perform this season outside of the top 3

Agreed on the wingers

But unlike last year there are some guys with scoring touch that can move up and down the lineup. Leivo Kozun Clarkson and Komarov could all play along side Kadri or Kessel and be serviceable.

I find the same thing down the middle. Last year after Bozak and Kadri McClement was next in line. He was an absolute black hole.

Santorelli and Holland can both play a skilled game and step up if there are injuries

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Leivo has been good in pre-season, but I would still rather see him playing another year in the AHL and be used as a call-up.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Kozun
Komorav-Winnik-Clarkson
Ashton-Holland-Santorelli
Orr

Robidas-Reilly
Polak-Gardiner
Phaneuf-Percy
Holzer

Bernier/Reimer

Injured:
Franson
Booth

d

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
if the leafs let both nylander and leivo make the team, then the improvement should be significant.

there would be some question as to whether one of nylander or leivo can replace raymond in the top 6, but otherwise the bottom 6 would be improved dramatically.

holland = holland
clarkson = clarkson
winnik => kulemin

santo >> mcclement
komo >> bodie
leivo/nylander >> orr

bolland's 23gms of 0.5ppg and poor possession stats are not much to replace, and likely get more than replaced by bozak being healthier anyways. one would hope that holland improves with experience too.

of course, if randy decides that guys like orr are regular starters, then any improvement dwindles.

There is a reason why Kulemin got a 4.2 x 4 year deal and Winnik got a 1.3 x 1 year deal. Kulemin is a very serviceable 3rd liner. Id rather have Winnik at 1.3 million but Kulemin is def the better player.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
i don't think kozun will look as good in the regular season as he has in the preseason...and its not like he's dominated preseason either.

he's tiny, not much puck skills, and he's fast but not that fast. i like his work ethic, but realistically how long will that keep up for?

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
Agreed on the wingers

But unlike last year there are some guys with scoring touch that can move up and down the lineup. Leivo Kozun Clarkson and Komarov could all play along side Kadri or Kessel and be serviceable.

I find the same thing down the middle. Last year after Bozak and Kadri McClement was next in line. He was an absolute black hole.

Santorelli and Holland can both play a skilled game and step up if there are injuries

2 rookies. One guy coming off an 11 point season and another guy who has only played 42 games in the NHL and only scored 9 points. I wouldnt be too confident with any of these guys in the top 6.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
i don't think kozun will look as good in the regular season as he has in the preseason...and its not like he's dominated preseason either.

he's tiny, not much puck skills, and he's fast but not that fast. i like his work ethic, but realistically how long will that keep up for?

He's got better speed than 3/4 of the leafs forwards. His puck skills are above average for a bottom 6 guy imo.

But definitely consistency will be the difference maker, like it is for most nhlers. If Kozun can play at his top level every night he'll be a solid contributor, but If you're right he won't last long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad