Line Combos: Line suggestions/critiquing

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
Lucic and Horton being separated is a must for the playoffs. Their style is too similar and it makes for a slow line, Krejci needs someone with more skill like Jagr on his line.

mashmont

May 27, 2011
Massachusetts
I actually like today's lines at practice

Boston Bruins ‏@NHLBruins 1m
Color schemes...Gold: Lucic-Bergeron-Seguin; White: Campbell-Krejci-Jagr; Grey: Paille-Kelly-Horton; Merlot: Daugavins-Peverley-Thornton^CS

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Things we know:

Claude loves vets
Claude loves as many C's as possible for faceoffs
Claude loves guys who can play the PK

If Soderberg is good at faceoffs, he's got a real shot. But if not, do we really think Claude would dress the guy now? Guys that will dress 100% of the time before him:

Bergy, Krejci, Lucic, Horton, Peverely, Kelly, Campbell, Paille, Jagr, Marchand, Seguin (that's 11)

At this point, the odds that Claude trusts Soderberg over a Daugavins or Thornton or Caron....50-50%. This year Soderberg is unquestionably competing for the 12th spot (which would land him on the 3rd line).

I guess the real question is can Soderberg make the power play better right away. If so, he's got the 12th spot. If not, Providence.

Think Chia has the authority to tell Claude "he's gotta play in the big club, that's the deal I made with him"? I doubt it. Claude has never had to take those orders before.

blackngold4877

Aug 31, 2006
I actually like today's lines at practice

Boston Bruins ‏@NHLBruins 1m
Color schemes...Gold: Lucic-Bergeron-Seguin; White: Campbell-Krejci-Jagr; Grey: Paille-Kelly-Horton; Merlot: Daugavins-Peverley-Thornton^CS

Thinking that Campbell will soon read "Marchand" and Paille will read "Soderberg". Merlot then becomes Paille-Campbell-Peverley.

ccmhockey

Aug 18, 2010
Boston
What do you think of the new lines as of today>

Lucic - Bergeron - Seguin
Campbell - Krecji - Jagr
Paille - Kelly - Horton
Daugavins - Pevs - Thorty

Claude finally broke up the mostly stagnant LKH line and finally put Krejci and Jagr together. I have a good feeling about these combinations and feel like these may be the most balanced line options we have at the moment until we get Marchand back and Soderberg arrives. We are definitely getting healthy at the right time - What are your thoughts?

PS: I'm a long-time reader but a new poster so just wanted to say hey to you all and look forward to talking some hockey with people who actually understand the game.

tragos

Jan 7, 2013
Campbell - Krecji - Jagr
Paille - Kelly - Horton

Claude finally broke up the mostly stagnant LKH line and finally put Krejci and Jagr together. I have a good feeling about these combinations and feel like these may be the most balanced line options we have at the moment until we get Marchand back and Soderberg arrives. We are definitely getting healthy at the right time - What are your thoughts?

PS: I'm a long-time reader but a new poster so just wanted to say hey to you all and look forward to talking some hockey with people who actually understand the game.

Welcome to the board! Just be sure to post in a relevant thread instead of starting a new one whenever possible.

I'm thrilled to see LKH broken up, hoping we see Marchand & Jagr together again when he returns, but a lot of people have to be happy about Krejci-Jagr.

ccmhockey

Aug 18, 2010
Boston
Welcome to the board! Just be sure to post in a relevant thread instead of starting a new one whenever possible.

Sorry about that, still trying to figure out exactly how things work around here. I know my hockey but apparently forums, not so much. I appreciate the help.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Campbell - Krecji - Jagr
Paille - Kelly - Horton

Baby steps in the right direction.

ccmhockey

Aug 18, 2010
Boston
Baby steps in the right direction.

That is the idea...
I'm not sure why it took Claude so long to break up that first line but out of all of those pairings I feel like the Campbell - Krejci - Jagr line is going to be extremely effective. Add Campbells physicality and unbelievable work ethic to the skill of Krejci and Jagr and it has the makings of a dangerous line.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
That is the idea...
I'm not sure why it took Claude so long to break up that first line but out of all of those pairings I feel like the Campbell - Krejci - Jagr line is going to be extremely effective. Add Campbells physicality and unbelievable work ethic to the skill of Krejci and Jagr and it has the makings of a dangerous line.

I am not so optimistic.. hopefully Campbell is back on the 4th line once Marchand or Soderberg comes back.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I'd love to agree with you, but Campbell has been better than Peverly. Surely, Peverly does not deserve to be promoted to another line.

The 4th line will most likely be Paille-Campbell-Peverley when everyone healthy.

I would go with this.

March/Looch-Bergy-Seguin
March/Looch-Krejci-Jagr
Yeti-Kelly/Peverley-Horton
Paille-Campbell-Kelly/Peverley

ccmhockey

Aug 18, 2010
Boston
I am not so optimistic.. hopefully Campbell is back on the 4th line once Marchand or Soderberg comes back.

I completely agree with you, I simply meant for the time being I feel he is a good fit and our best option for that line. He plays hard and is defensively responsible and well positioned. And with skilled players such as Jagr and Krejci they could use a hard fore checker and grinder down in the corners. As we've seen the past few games being in the right place at the right time and getting into the dirty areas as he does can lead to some goals.
However, as you said when Soderberg arrives and Marchand returns he should definitely slide back down to his natural fourth line duty but I admire his versatility and look at him as one of our heart and soul guys who will do whatever the team needs and he is asked to do.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I'd prefer a Paille/Kelly/Peverley line to a Paille/Campbell/Peverley line. With Kelly in the middle, that line would have some wicked speed.

McBrom7

FIRE IT UP!!
Jun 26, 2012
When Marchand comes back and Soderberg arrives, I could see the lines going like this:

Marchand - Krejci - Jagr
Soderberg - Kelly - Horton
Paille - Campbell - Peverley
Thornton

Krejci/Jagr sticks together and Marchand keeps his high chemistry with Jagr. Bergeron/Seguin sticks together and Lucic joins the party to bring a little more grit to a line that has a tremendous amout of skill and speed. Horton gets the demotion and picks up his checking game and makes for a great third liner with Kelly and Soderberg learning the ropes. Peverly also get the demotion, but also gets PP time. Pevs gives the fourth line a speedy RWer along with Paille and Campbell playing above expectations this year. Maybe considered a "3b" line.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I'm loving these lines. And there are so many options. I hope that Julien doesn't just go with one and stick to it. There are several new faces and potential chemistry all over the place. Gotta try some different things here and there depending on game situations to see if there's something that works best. Maybe find some serious offensive combo duos/trios that can get together when offense needs a boost.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
When Marchand comes back and Soderberg arrives, I could see the lines going like this:

Marchand - Krejci - Jagr
Soderberg - Kelly - Horton
Paille - Campbell - Peverley
Thornton

Krejci/Jagr sticks together and Marchand keeps his high chemistry with Jagr. Bergeron/Seguin sticks together and Lucic joins the party to bring a little more grit to a line that has a tremendous amout of skill and speed. Horton gets the demotion and picks up his checking game and makes for a great third liner with Kelly and Soderberg learning the ropes. Peverly also get the demotion, but also gets PP time. Pevs gives the fourth line a speedy RWer along with Paille and Campbell playing above expectations this year. Maybe considered a "3b" line.

Love those lines. Plus Seguin and Lucic always seem to get eachother going out on the ice.

And that's the best 3rd and 4th line in the league. No doubt about it.. Well.. assuming Horton elevates his game in the playoffs (he and Kelly usually do) and Soderberg acclimates.

McBrom7

FIRE IT UP!!
Jun 26, 2012
Love those lines. Plus Seguin and Lucic always seem to get eachother going out on the ice.

And that's the best 3rd and 4th line in the league. No doubt about it.. Well.. assuming Horton elevates his game in the playoffs (he and Kelly usually do) and Soderberg acclimates.

Yup,

No matter how P.O.ed about how bad Horton has been this year. Given his history, you have to have him in a semi-scoring role going into the playoffs. With a skilled winger in Soderberg, who is considered NHL ready, maybe they get some chemistry and now you have all 4 lines that are a scoring threat and that's deadly if you're going into maybe a 2-3 line deep team in Toronto.

EDIT: for the next Boston game, I'd like to see the man in my avatar get a game in and sit Daugs because that game would mean so much to him as I know him personally. He'd give a good effort.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
When Marchand gets back(he's been cleared for contact) he's going to get slotted right back with Bergeron where he's been for the past three seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad