Line Combos: Line Shake Ups

Gamble9

Apr 15, 2014
Bowmanville, Ontario
I would switch kadri and bozak and ashton with frattin but I like the idea of switching things up I think jvr and Clarkson could work really well together

Tml1489

Jun 28, 2013
Richmond Hill
There are much bigger issues than line up right now, but I think this was needed too. Shake things up a bit. Try to get everyone going at the same time.

phillycheesekessel

Jan 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I really want to see this happen:

JVR - Kadri- Lupul: The former 2nd line gets there big body in JVR
Komarov - Bozak - Kessel: Komarov would help this line cycle better.
Winnik = Santorelli - Clarkson: Should still be a good cycling line without Komarov
Panik = Holland - Bodie: Bodie should get another look

The D is a disaster but to give it a go:
Phaneuf - Franson
Gardiner - Robidas
Reilly - Polak

Bernier
Reimer

I want to know if anyone else is interested in seeing that forward line up

Tml1489

Jun 28, 2013
Richmond Hill

Winnik = Santorelli - Clarkson: Should still be a good cycling line without Komarov

Phaneuf - Franson
Gardiner - Robidas
Reilly - Polak

Bernier
Reimer

Franson And Phaneuf would be a disaster. LOL

But i agree that Bodie should get a look again. Guy was one of few that played hard every game down the stretch and deserves another look for sure.

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
If you would have told me last year that Clarkson would be our first line RW after the first 8 games…
Also, the Lupul-Kadri-Kessel line is probably the worst line defensively in the history of the NHL.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I like these moves.

The former #1 line is simply too much of a liability defensively and get outscored at even strength.

The former #2 line while posting strong possession numbers is not generating much offense.

So the new combo's are looking better balanced, but I would have made 1 more change and swapped Komarov and Lupul, trying to establish 3 scoring lines with possession potential and get away from the rush style offense.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

Phaneuf - Franson
Gardiner - Robidas
Reilly - Polak

Bernier
Reimer

I like your lines a lot - good job! Put your application in for the upcoming vacancy.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I like these moves.

The former #1 line is simply too much of a liability defensively and get outscored at even strength.

The former #2 line while posting strong possession numbers is not generating much offense.

So the new combo's are looking better balanced, but I would have made 1 more change and swapped Komarov and Lupul, trying to establish 3 scoring lines with possession potential and get away from the rush style offense.

3-4 years later they figure out Lupul/jVR Bozak Kessel is defensively crap.

The first line has to be so amazing that they can just dominate. It's the only option. I think Lupul Kadri Kessel can do this given 10 games to get used to one another.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...ml?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed

Lines at practice today:
Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JvR - Bozak - Clarkson
Komarov - Santorelli - Winnik
Pannik - Holland - Frattin

Edit: Feel free to move thread to Pre-Game Talk if needed.

I kind of rate our players like this:

Kessel - Great goal scorer. Horrible forecheck and cycle game.
JVR - Good/Great goal scorer. Average/Good forecheck and cycle game.
Bozak - Average goal scorer. Average forecheck and cycle game.
Kadri - Good goal scorer. Poor forecheck and cycle game.
Lupul - Good goal scorer. Poor forecheck and cycle game.
Clarkson - Average goal scorer. Good forecheck and cycle game.
Winnik - Poor goal scorer. Good forecheck and cycle game.
Komorov - Poor goal scorer. Good forecheck and cycle game.
Santorelli - Poor/Average goal scorer. Average/Good forecheck and cycle game.

I think that one aspect of the cycle and forechecking game is that you need all three of the players to be good at it. If there's one weak link, that style of game doesn't really work. Our old first line with Kessel on it was unable to play that style of game. Our old second line wasn't great at it either because only Winnik was really good in those situations. Lupul is alright, but Kadri is more of a skill guy. So only our third line was good at the forecheck and cycle game, but our 3rd could not really score well.

With this new configuration, it basically puts our skill guys all on the top line and they're probably not even going to attempt to play a forecheck and cycle game. They'll try and play based on their pure skill, so they probably will not be dumping the puck in or anything like that.

The new second line I think is a good mix of scoring and the ability to play the forecheck and cycle game. JVR wasn't able to put his size to good use on the first line (unless it was an individual effort), and I think his size will be more of an asset on this second line while still being able to provide scoring.

Our third line I don't think will change much... swapping Winnik for Clarkson is a bit of a wash.... the new third line will probably still be able to play an effective forecheck and cycle game but will probably struggle to get goals. It also puts Winnik and Komorov on the same line which will be helpful for the PK.

The first line will probably just be our PP1 line... our 3rd line will be our PK 1 line (Komorov and Winnik). ... and our second line can do PP2 and PK2 (Bozak and JVR).

I think it will be important to have Phaneuf out with our top line because they will be very weak defensively... so we need solid defenders who can prevent the goals.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
More shuffling of the deck chairs on the Titanic? :dunno:

However, I'll reserve further criticism until the game is played. :naughty:

RLF

May 5, 2014
It's a start, these new lines are similar to what I wanted to start the season.
Right now though I would like to see

Santorelli Bozak Kessel
JVR Kadri Clarkson (wanted this line to start season)
Winnik Komarov Lupul
Panik Holland Frattin

I think this would give a little more balance and defensive responsibility on each line.

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
Finally! Lupul and Kadri are pinching themselves. Kessel for Winnik, what a upgrade! JVR and Bozak should really help Clarksons offensive game. I love these lines! Now go back with Bernier and show some faith in your #1.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Lupul-Komarov-Kessel
JVR-Kadri/Bozie-Clarkson/Santorelli
Winnik-Kadri/Bozie-Clarkson/Santorelli
Panik-Holland-Broll

Thats all i want to see, well balanced lines that can cycle the puck play defensivly and can score goals

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
Lupul-Kadri-Kessel...

The 3 worst defensive forwards are now combining together on a team that struggles to keep the puck out of their own net.

Jee... What could possibly go wrong?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Lupul-Kadri-Kessel...

The 3 worst defensive forwards are now combining together on a team that struggles to keep the puck out of their own net.

Have to agree with this.

Personally, I would've been onboard for putting a Leo Komarov on the top line with Bozak/Kessel, and then JvR onto the 2nd with Kadri and Lupul. It's worked for stints in the past with gems like Joey Crabb.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Lupul-Kadri-Kessel...

They don't produce offensively, they get scored against, and the Leafs lose the game ... Basically nothing we haven't already seen so far ;)

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
Lupul-Kadri-Kessel...

A good offence is the best defence!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad