Speculation: Line Combinations

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Wolanin needs to come in next game. I’m not exactly sure how sitting him for Reilly or Coburn is in anyway beneficial for him or this org going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
. I would even give White a chance on the PK FO.

Yep - that seals it for me. There is a reason why DJ uses guys like Stepan and Tierney over White for both the PK and PK face offs.

That is probably the last place DJ would want to use White.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
I like these lines.

I do not like Dadonov's game. He looks rusty and unpolished, probably due to his conditioning for this season. I would not reward him to play with Jimmy the wunderbar.
It makes sense may be during the training camp to put two Euros together, but it does not now, when clearly Dadonov is not ready for this season.

Reactions: NB613

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Welp there is is again.

So Anisimov back in and Wolanin stays out.
200.gif

I guess DJ liked Anisimov and his 100% Ozone starts vs White and his 67% Dzone starts
Reilly gets more rope.
Got a message for you players that may be here beyond this year... Watch and learn boys.. Watch and learn.

Reactions: NB613 and Icelevel

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Chabot-Zaitsev has actually been a really good pair so far (analytically speaking) so of course they go back to Chabot-Gudbranson :shakehead

It's not very surprising to me. The 2nd pair has been the worst pair for us so far. They're trying to put Zaitsev on that 2nd pair to have more balance through the lineup since he has been our 2nd best defensemen so far.

Gudbranson needs a puck moving Dman next to him to be efficient. Wolanin needs to settle down and he should hopefully be able to take that role as we go along. Reilly looked more calm out there so even though Wolanin is better on paper he looked totally overwhelmed for that game. Don't get me wrong, Reilly made some mistakes too but he wasn't as bad as Wolanin was in that first game. Couldn't get the puck out of the zone, wasn't in position, didn't do anything offensively (breakouts/rushes) which is his primary role. At least Reilly didn't look totally overwhelmed and had some structure to his game. Problem with Wolanin is if he can't provide that offensive aspect, he's really hasn't been good defensively either so it gets ugly real quick. Now I understand everyone here hates Reilly and loves Wolanin so it'll cloud the judgement of some people.

I think we'll see a couple more games of both Reilly and Wolanin and if they can't figure it out we might see Dorion make a move for a Dman.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Wolanin needs to settle down
He has to get the chance to settle down. Reilly was pretty bad the other night, why does the coach chose to make an example out of Wolanin but not Reilly?

I think we'll see a couple more games of both Reilly and Wolanin and if they can't figure it out we might see Dorion make a move for a Dman
We dont need to burn another draft pick to acquire another mediocre dman. Brannstrom should be here anyways, just call him up.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He has to get the chance to settle down. Reilly was pretty bad the other night, why does the coach chose to make an example out of Wolanin but not Reilly?

We dont need to burn another draft pick to acquire another mediocre dman. Brannstrom should be here anyways, just call him up.

I'm no fan of Rielly, but he looked bad in a game where everyone looked bad, Wolanin looked bad in a game where for the most part the team looked pretty good. I can't blame the coach for sticking with Rielly. Paquette on the other hand was awful and I'd personally stick with White over Anisimov.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Agreed for Brannstrom, I actually even forgot about him.

As for Wolanin, he'll get his chance don't worry. I thought Reilly looked better than Wolanin, but again people like Wolanin better than Reilly so I'm not even a bit surprised to see people already mad after 2 games. If we're being honest both deserve to be scratched but since people like Wolanin better it becomes a discussion topic while it really is a nothing story at this point in the season.

Reactions: BatherSeason

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'm no fan of Rielly, but he looked bad in a game where everyone looked bad, Wolanin looked bad in a game where for the most part the team looked pretty good. I can't blame the coach for sticking with Rielly. Paquette on the other hand was awful and I'd personally stick with White over Anisimov.

Yep, completely agree here. Thought Paquette would come in with more jump. I'd consider trying him at center since we need help at the dot. He's been a decent faceoff guy during the last two seasons with 50.9% and 52.6% respectively.

But for the moment he should probably sit a game.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Exactly this.

Expect this to be a trend. Young player performs poorly - he sits. Veteran performs poorly - he stays in the lineup.

I think Paquette is here to stay because Galchenyuk isn't a fit for the 4th line. Balcers is better than him defensively and should have his spot, but we don't pay one-way money for taxi squad/AHLers.

Reilly being kept in over Wolanin is a joke though. Have never understood what they see in him. Dude has no brain.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Based on merit and play through 2 games this would probably be the lineup:

Tkachuk - Stepan - Batherson
Paul - Norris - C. Brown
Stutzle - White - Watson
Galchenyuk - Anisimov - Dadonov
Paquette
Tierney

And honestly after Stepan and Norris no one played good at center. How long until they try Stutzle at C??

Chabot - Zaitsev
Coburn - J. Brown
Brannstrom - Gudbranson

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Expect this to be a trend. Young player performs poorly - he sits. Veteran performs poorly - he stays in the lineup.

It’s not that simple - the goal for sitting the young player isn’t to punish for a lack of effort or execution. It’s a pause or a chance to develop and work on skills at practice hoping to “try again” with more confidence/skill.

If a vet sucks one night it may not help to a young player’s development (say Wolanin) to send him right back into the storm.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
It’s not that simple - the goal for sitting the young player isn’t to punish for a lack of effort or execution. It’s a pause or a chance to develop and work on skills at practice hoping to “try again” with more confidence/skill.

If a vet sucks one night it may not help to a young player’s development (say Wolanin) to send him right back into the storm.
Maybe sending them out in the storm is exactly what that player needs. The younger players don't need time "to reflect", they need playing time to get better.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Obviously give it a few more games with the players currently on the roster, but I'd love to see the lines end up looking something like this later in the season:

Tkachuk - L. Brown - Batherson
Stutzle - Norris - Dadonov
Paul - Tierney - C. Brown
Formenton - Chlapik - Watson

Chabot - Zaitsev
Brannstrom - Gudbranson
Wolanin - J. Brown
Coburn

^THIS^ should be the goal.

Reactions: JaredCowen4Norris

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Maybe sending them out in the storm is exactly what that player needs. The younger players don't need time "to reflect", they need playing time to get better.

You can’t learn much when the games is miles a head of you. Learning objectives need to be realistic and obtainable.

You can’t stick a smart 10 year old into a Calculus class and expect them to achieve success. You can’t take any good athlete and move them into a higher level of competition and expect success. If you could every 18 year old 1RD pick would play in the NHL.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

Pacquette definitely needs some time off to reflect on his game, which has been pathetic. Lack of pre-season didn't help many of the new comers.

Rielly should only if there is an injury, he definitely needs more time in the pressbox. Wolanin needs to replace him. Jaros is and has been a better player of the two in Sens uniform. A poor man's Joe Corvo is the last thing we need with the youngsters.

Really don't understand what prompted Dorion to pick up Rielly, he produces points but always sucked ass defensively.

Reactions: BatherSeason

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
Exactly this.

It’s insane to me, but is this the worst defense we have ever iced? Besides Chabot none of them have a future with this team and are all mediciocre/bad journeymen. I know Smith likes a ld who can move the puck and a stay at home rd, but please explain Coburn-J.Brown?

Refusing to play Branny at RD when the current options are Zaitsev, Gudbranson, Josh Brown and Zub and their LD has Chabot and Sanderson on the way.

not really crazy about DJ this season

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Easy

Tkachuk-Stepan-Batherson
Stutzle-Norris-Dadonov
Paul-Tierney-Brown
Galchenyuk-White-Watson
Anisimov-Chlapik-Paquette

Chabot-Gudbranson
Reilly-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Brown
Coburn-Zub

My 1st and 3rd lines can play against anyone, my 2nd and 4th lines better offensive matchups.

Norris with less pressure on 2nd line I mean he's 21 y/o and has played 5 NHL games.

Wolanin on the 3rd pair, sheltered minutes to help him get more comfortable. Look at how many pro games he has played since April 2019...

Welp there is is again.

So Anisimov back in and Wolanin stays out.
200.gif

I guess DJ liked Anisimov and his 100% Ozone starts vs White and his 67% Dzone starts
Reilly gets more rope.
Got a message for you players that may be here beyond this year... Watch and learn boys.. Watch and learn.

DJ Smith seems to be tailor made for a rebuilding team! Play the safe 1 year rental veterans!

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Exactly this.

Cause he has proven he can be a good depth guy on a Stanley cup champion ? I mean it’s pretty clear why a guy like him gets more than 2 games to get his shit together

I’m surprised it needs to be explained. Actually shocked really
Same reason by Dadanov gets a longer look as opposed to say anisinov

Reactions: swiftwin

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Based on merit and play through 2 games this would probably be the lineup:

Tkachuk - Stepan - Batherson
Paul - Norris - C. Brown
Stutzle - White - Watson
Galchenyuk - Anisimov - Dadonov
Paquette
Tierney

And honestly after Stepan and Norris no one played good at center. How long until they try Stutzle at C??

Chabot - Zaitsev
Coburn - J. Brown
Brannstrom - Gudbranson

You have Tierney last??? - he just shut down the Matthew’s line pretty well for two games.

Reactions: swiftwin

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Cause he has proven he can be a good depth guy on a Stanley cup champion ? I mean it’s pretty clear why a guy like him gets more than 2 games to get his shit together

I’m surprised it needs to be explained. Actually shocked really
Same reason by Dadanov gets a longer look as opposed to say anisinov
Paquette was a salary dump with not future with this team. I am suprised you would actually think its so simple. I am actually shocked someone wouldnt want him out of the lineup after how poorly he played. Dadonov is not the same thing, he signed a big ticket and has a history of being a 20 to 30 goal scorer.

Having different rules for different players is a sure fire way to create cliques and lose the room and the mantra that you earn your ice time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad