Line combinations that make you want to claw your eyes out

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Ehlers-Little-Laine can't seem to produce (which is weird since all those guys are good individually). Lots of Jets fans want that line broken up, although we are winning right now so maybe shouldn't mess with anything.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Smith-Brassard-Ryan

Check out how many goals Smith has lately and you see why hes mentioned.

Boucher likes putting 2 scorers together and a defensive forward to try to balance the line out but we don't score enough lately for the balance to work out.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I think Mike Babcock is one of the best coaches in the league pretty easily, but as a Leafs fan, the amount of angst and annoyance that our entire fanbase seemingly feels towards his usual line combinations is pretty appalling.

Are there any other fanbases that are as consistently frustrated by certain line combinations or player combinations that their respective coaches constantly use? Or conversely, are there any combos that you'd like to see, that your coach never deploys?

For most of the season we've been running:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Komarov
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Martin-Moore-Brown
Leivo

Many Leafs fans' frustration includes but is not limited to; wanting Hyman, Bozak, and Komarov further down the lineup; wanting Brown/Marleau moved up the lineup; wanting Martin and/or Moore scratched from time to time and replaced by Leivo; wanting Matthews with Marner and Nylander at centre (in some cases); the list goes on. Does your fanbase go through similar trials and tribulations? Curious to hear some insight from around the league.

i don't understand the frustration. hes rolling 3 lines. overloading 2 lines with ice may jack up their stats, but when we get to game 82, you should be a little more thankful when the lineup is fresh, and not beat up and injured. the extra 3 or 4 minutes other top lines are playing might get them big stats and contracts, but it's not necessarily better for the team.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Most of the complaints seem to stem from people wanting coaches to go back to the archaic top 6/ bottom 6 philosophy.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
I think Mike Babcock is one of the best coaches in the league pretty easily, but as a Leafs fan, the amount of angst and annoyance that our entire fanbase seemingly feels towards his usual line combinations is pretty appalling.

Are there any other fanbases that are as consistently frustrated by certain line combinations or player combinations that their respective coaches constantly use? Or conversely, are there any combos that you'd like to see, that your coach never deploys?

For most of the season we've been running:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Komarov
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Martin-Moore-Brown
Leivo

Many Leafs fans' frustration includes but is not limited to; wanting Hyman, Bozak, and Komarov further down the lineup; wanting Brown/Marleau moved up the lineup; wanting Martin and/or Moore scratched from time to time and replaced by Leivo; wanting Matthews with Marner and Nylander at centre (in some cases); the list goes on. Does your fanbase go through similar trials and tribulations? Curious to hear some insight from around the league.

The only time I get agitated about the lines is when they’re struggling offensively during a whole game (which happens a lot) and Babcock leaves Hyman with Matthews until like 4 minutes left in the game. So the stacked offensive line that’s supposed to get you tied up or within a goal gets a whole 2 shifts to do it.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Connor Scheifele Wheeler*

I know the Line has been good but Wheeler is much better than Laine at Driving a Line and Laine is pretty much doing that while Wheeler plays with one of the best Line Driving Centers in the League as he’s one of the best Line Driving Wingers in the League... Laine is much more affective with a Fast and good Playmaking Center as he is limited with slow skating.

Reactions: Jetsfareast

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
For the Canucks recently...

Anything involving Brandon Sutter with skilled offensive wingers.
Anything where Baertschi isn't playing with Horvat.
Sedins with Loui Eriksson looks like somebody set the Canucks forwards on slo motion somehow, which is aggravating to watch.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Babcock at one point in time had:

Abdelkader-Datsyuk-Cleary.

And I'm not even talking about prime Cleary. I'm talking about "shouldn't have been in the NHL" Cleary. This was also when Abdelkader had not even hit the 10 goal mark in any NHL season. But yet Babcock decided to put those two anchors with one of the best centers in the world.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Lucic - McDavid - Cammaleri

What is the point of having McDavid on your team if the two slowest wingers in the nhl are flanking him?
That's rough. :laugh:

We'll gladly trade you Hendricks back for McDavid - that's the slowest center of the league to complete the line!

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Versteeg - Bennett - Brouwer

Dear God, that is brutal.

Kuhnhackl - McKegg - Reaves

This is the Pens' 4th line and it is absolutely terrible. Kuhn and McKegg are barely NHL players at this stage.

that would be a 3rd line on some AHL teams.

Connor Scheifele Wheeler*

I know the Line has been good but Wheeler is much better than Laine at Driving a Line and Laine is pretty much doing that while Wheeler plays with one of the best Line Driving Centers in the League as he’s one of the best Line Driving Wingers in the League... Laine is much more affective with a Fast and good Playmaking Center as he is limited with slow skating.

It kind of sounds like you are more worried about Laine's point totals than Jets wins.

Lucic - McDavid - Cammaleri

What is the point of having McDavid on your team if the two slowest wingers in the nhl are flanking him?

Brings me back to the awful lines Sundin was forced to play on. What an abortion.

Sedin Sedin Megna
MEGNA MEGNA MEGA

The f*** is that line...

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Babcock at one point in time had:

Abdelkader-Datsyuk-Cleary.

And I'm not even talking about prime Cleary. I'm talking about "shouldn't have been in the NHL" Cleary. This was also when Abdelkader had not even hit the 10 goal mark in any NHL season. But yet Babcock decided to put those two anchors with one of the best centers in the world.
He's got Matthews with Hyman and Brown right now if that makes you feel any better.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Dear God, that is brutal.

that would be a 3rd line on some AHL teams.

It kind of sounds like you are more worried about Laine's point totals than Jets wins.

Brings me back to the awful lines Sundin was forced to play on. What an abortion.

The **** is that line...

Nope, I’m more concerned about depth.

Wheeler is better than Laine overall and significantly better at Line Driving(hopefully that changes in time), Scheifele is an Elite Line Driving Center and Laine plays extremely well with Scheifele because of that and Wheeler can put up Sub-Elite Numbers on any Line he plays on, whichI believe would boost our scoring overall(also Ehlers should score more with Wheeler as he’s Elite at Line Driving). But no if the Jets are winning with this lineup I have no issue, but I’m concerned with the fact the Jets could score more and be more Offensively effective.. If the Jets start to come back down to Earth I think it would be better to balance out our skill and win like that...

Reactions: Jetsfareast

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Nolan - ORielly - Okposo

Yes that's Jordan Nolan playing on our 2nd line...

Jordan Nolan wouldn't crack the top 6 of our AHL team

perronist

Dec 8, 2008
any combination of stajan/brouwer/lazar/f. hamilton

any time bartkowski steps outside of the pressbox

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad