Line combinations that make you want to claw your eyes out

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I think Mike Babcock is one of the best coaches in the league pretty easily, but as a Leafs fan, the amount of angst and annoyance that our entire fanbase seemingly feels towards his usual line combinations is pretty appalling.

Are there any other fanbases that are as consistently frustrated by certain line combinations or player combinations that their respective coaches constantly use? Or conversely, are there any combos that you'd like to see, that your coach never deploys?

For most of the season we've been running:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Komarov
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Martin-Moore-Brown
Leivo

Many Leafs fans' frustration includes but is not limited to; wanting Hyman, Bozak, and Komarov further down the lineup; wanting Brown/Marleau moved up the lineup; wanting Martin and/or Moore scratched from time to time and replaced by Leivo; wanting Matthews with Marner and Nylander at centre (in some cases); the list goes on. Does your fanbase go through similar trials and tribulations? Curious to hear some insight from around the league.

Reactions: Leafs21

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Anything with Glendening or Abdelkader or Helm with skilled players.
Blashill learned this BS from the master himself.

Reactions: Critical

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Every single fanbase thinks they know better than the coach. Amusing, really.

Yeah, it can definitely get to the point of being completely delusional. But I'd say that getting frustrated by a coach's unwillingness to try new things that sit right in front of them is pretty understandable in some cases

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Miller-Hayes-Anyone

JT Miller and Kevin Hayes are fire and napalm. It's an absolute tragedy when they're together.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Didn't Abdelkader get to play with Datsyuk for basically all of 14/15 upon which he got his seven-year deal?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Kuhnhackl - McKegg - Reaves

This is the Pens' 4th line and it is absolutely terrible. Kuhn and McKegg are barely NHL players at this stage.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'm not sure about that. I don't remember being this frustrated with Carlyle or Wilson as far as the lines go. I mean, they'd overplay guys like Mike Kostka but that was more out of desperation. Babcock has a ton of talent at his disposal and he throws guys like Komarov on the PP and Hyman with Matthews, as well as Hyman being on the ice when Babs pulls the goalie in the last few minutes.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
It annoys me that Blashill will not ever play nyquist without Zetterberg. They aren't producing shit, change it up please.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Henrique playing with Hall sometimes is amusing.

Greene-Santini currently as our top pairing is just down right miserable to watch.

Reactions: Machinehead

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I get the reasoning from both sides when it comes to Hyman and Komarov.

What I don't get is Matt Martin having his spot completely secure.

I also really hate seeing Roman Polak in the lineup. If they want PKers, call up Marincin.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017

I think Quentin Tarantino is a fine film maker but that Death Proof was a bad movie I am not a better director than Tarantino, see how that works?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I think Quentin Tarantino is a fine film maker but that Death Proof was a bad movie I am not a better director than Tarantino, see how that works?

In this analogy, aren't you presuming that you know better than the coach? "Death Proof is a bad movie" = "Playing Hymen with Matthews is a bad idea".

And second guessing line combos isn't nearly as bad as football fans with playcalling. 1-2 "bad" playcalls (ie a 40% success chance play failed to convert at a noticeable time) = OC sucks, wtf is he doing????

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
That comparison is probably too kind, Babcock and Hyman is basically...imagine you go to hang out with Steven Spielberg and he screens Kingdom of the Crystal Skull for you while Raiders is prominately on his dvd shelf, and you beg to watch something different but Spielberg just calls you too stupid to understand while the fridge is nuked.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
In this analogy, aren't you presuming that you know better than the coach? "Death Proof is a bad movie" = "Playing Hymen with Matthews is a bad idea".

And second guessing line combos isn't nearly as bad as football fans with playcalling. 1-2 "bad" playcalls (ie a 40% success chance play failed to convert at a noticeable time) = OC sucks, wtf is he doing????

In Babcock's case its not really about knowing better its just knowing Hyman is not very talented at ice hockey and never seeing anyone else there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad