Line combinations that make you want to claw your eyes out

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
I get the reasoning from both sides when it comes to Hyman and Komarov.

What I don't get is Matt Martin having his spot completely secure.

I also really hate seeing Roman Polak in the lineup. If they want PKers, call up Marincin.

Hyman might honestly be on par with Martin offensively.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Why are you on a discussion board? Your first post is refusing a discussion and your second is an insult.
Refusing discussion? No it's not. I just find it amusing people think they know better than the coach, and I do realize coach can be wrong, but he has good reasons he sends certain line out on the ice, most of the time us fans are too concerned with the details and don't see the big pictures.

And as for the insult, it's nothing personal, the parallel is bad, real bad.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Didn't Abdelkader get to play with Datsyuk for basically all of 14/15 upon which he got his seven-year deal?

He was attached to Datsyuk's hip in 13/14. He was on Zetterberg's wing for the month of 14/15 where he put up big numbers and subsequently got the absurd contract.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Refusing discussion? No it's not. I just find it amusing people think they know better than the coach, and I do realize coach can be wrong, but he has good reasons he sends certain line out on the ice, most of the time us fans are too concerned with the details and don't see the big pictures.

And as for the insult, it's nothing personal, the parallel is bad, real bad.

What is so bad about it? You obviously got my point. I'm not penning Animal Farm here. You are refusing discussion, the discussion at hand at least. You came into a thread specifically about disagreeing with line choices to laugh at the discussions participants. I think its naive to assume fans who are critical of coaches don't understand the possible place the coach is coming from. I for one think Babcock has a very reasonable reason for having Hyman on Matthews' line, he wants a speedy player who can hop in on the forecheck and cause disruption and help Matthews get the puck. It makes total sense, I just think that should be weighed against Hyman's inability to handle or shoot the puck and thus think it is worth discussing.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
Kane-Eichel-anybody.

Kane is such a dumb player that Eichel basically knows that any time he feeds him, he's not getting the puck back - whether that be due to a perimeter shot into a leg, a perimeter shot to the goalie's chest, or a perimeter shot that goes high and wide and send the play in the other direction. Kane needs to drive his own line, he and Eichel both can't do it all. The very least Kane can do is put his perimeter shots off the pad to generate a rebound for his linemates - I would wager we'd have a few more goals this season (and last) if he did.

Bylsma once put Eichel with Deslauriers (a converted defenseman) and McCabe (an actual defenseman) too. That was fun.

Reactions: Hasek

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
What is so bad about it? You obviously got my point. I'm not penning Animal Farm here. You are refusing discussion, the discussion at hand at least. You came into a thread specifically about disagreeing with line choices to laugh at the discussions participants. I think its naive to assume fans who are critical of coaches don't understand the possible place the coach is coming from. I for one think Babcock has a very reasonable reason for having Hyman on Matthews' line, he wants a speedy player who can hop in on the forecheck and cause disruption and help Matthews get the puck. It makes total sense, I just think that should be weighed against Hyman's inability to handle or shoot the puck and thus think it is worth discussing.
I didn't laugh at anyone. Dear God, people do get upset over anything nowadays.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I didn't laugh at anyone. Dear God, people do get upset over anything nowadays.

Please don't try to make this some PC thing, like your sticking it to the sensors? Come on. "i find it amusing that people think they know better than the coach" that is what you posted, twice, it adds nothing to the discussion at hand...that was my point...obviously. I'm not trying to muzzle your bold irreverent talk, nothing even close to that happened.

PepsiMayWest

Nov 7, 2007
Montreal/Ottawa
Pacioretty with Drouin and Galchenyuk was a disaster this year, but Julien moved off of that one fairly recently. Quite honestly I don't question the coaches line combinations as they are with the players every single day and have a much better idea than the fans as to what could and couldn't work. Sometimes we think certain combinations are a sure thing and end up being terrible, while other times a line that looks awful on paper ends up being pretty succesful

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Alex Chiasson long overstayed his welcome on the Flames top line last season

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Gabe Landeskog & Matt Duchene. Those two had the worst chemistry I've ever seen, yet coach after coach tried to force them together. Which became ever more frustrating after having watched Landeskog have instant chemistry with MacKinnon, O'Reilly, Stastny & Soderberg.

1967th Heaven

Aug 31, 2012
I hate that babs always puts Moore and Martin together, such a waste of talent they are each capable of driving their own line offensively :(

Reactions: kk87

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
We're in year 3 of Kane-Eichel and I don't think my eyes will ever return to their sockets.

Others include Girgensons + 2 useless plugs, and Nolan-Reinhart (yes, Housley actually did that)

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Every single fanbase thinks they know better than the coach. Amusing, really.

Sometimes fans know more than the professional in charge.

For example, all of HF simultaneously laughed when George McPhee traded Erat for Forsberg.

Reactions: Casanova

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I think Mike Babcock is one of the best coaches in the league pretty easily, but as a Leafs fan, the amount of angst and annoyance that our entire fanbase seemingly feels towards his usual line combinations is pretty appalling.

A lot of fans are more interested in seeing their star player succeed in the scoring race than their team win more games.

Tonight the Leafs are running Matthews with Hyman and Brown, with Marleau and Kadri on the second line, Marner on the 3rd line and Nylander on the 4th. How many teams could, or would distribute their talent like that? Pretty much none. But I am a fan of the Hyman/Matthews/Brown line because I think that Matthews can still make it work (as he showed last year) and overall it makes the team better.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Yeo is pretty good.

No matter what, Hitchcock insisted on playing Lehtera with Schwartz and Tarasenko and it drove me batsh*t insane.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
pretty much all those lines that are supposed to provide "scoring depth", so instead of playing your best center with your 2 best wingers like in the good old days, you pair 2 good players with a scrub and move the 3rd good player down to the 2nd or 3rd to play with lesser players.

I really pine for the days when we had killer lines with cool nicknames. I know it was more of a 70s thing but it still lived on until the 2000s.

I mean now even Benn and Seguin are split up. Makes me sick.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Flames PP1, without a doubt:

Gaudreau (Awesome)-Monahan (awesome)- Ferland (Awesome, but this was Brouwer for the 20 games previous, ick)
Brodie (loses the puck often and has no point shot to speak of) - Versteeg (what in the flying f is this doing here)

None of us have yet to understand why the best possession pair in the league and our top offensive dman aren't playing on the PP1.

Also if we're throwing out weird combos, in 3-3 OT Gulutzen put out Brodie-Jankowski-Versteeg (while he hadn't given Johnny-Monahan-Giordano any ice time yet...) Predictably they were scored on almost immediately.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Jori Lehtera or Dale Weise with anyone on any line

Jori Lehtera and Valtteri Filppula on the second PP unit (not regular but has happened this year)

Dave Hakstol's incredible combination of Giroux-Filppula-Manning in OT on Friday

Any combination including Filppula, Weise, sometimes Simmonds, Manning and/or Hagg being on the ice in the last few minutes of a one goal game to "protect the lead" (usually leads to a tie game)

Didn't last long at all, but Berube very briefly ran a VandeVelde-Giroux-Voracek line at one point during his tenure

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
pretty much all those lines that are supposed to provide "scoring depth", so instead of playing your best center with your 2 best wingers like in the good old days, you pair 2 good players with a scrub and move the 3rd good player down to the 2nd or 3rd to play with lesser players.

I really pine for the days when we had killer lines with cool nicknames. I know it was more of a 70s thing but it still lived on until the 2000s.

I mean now even Benn and Seguin are split up. Makes me sick.
Not maurice, known to stack up everything in 1 line and run them out. This year it is much better, thanks to Peraults injury, so now we have the best 4line in NHL, in tears I must say. They must be near ppg all 3 since they became 1 line...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad